Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange question but does anyone have sports buckets here in San Diego? If so, I would really like to meet to check them out if you don’t mind. I’m thinking of getting a car that has them but it’s not local and I’ve never sat in them before.

Also, does anyone know if there has been any change in sports buckets or are they all the same over the years?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The only 987s that came from the factory with sport bucket seats are the 987.2 Boxster Spyder and Cayman R. Are you looking at one of these? The buckets have folding seat backs and thorax airbags. They are mounted on manual sliders and have no height adjustment. Both driver and passenger side have cutouts in the base for anti sub belts. The seats mounts are somewhat high and the seat angle is upright. Cantrell made some aftermarket mounts to lower the seat. The seats have been available a few times from Porsche Techquipment but expensive. They are sometimes referred to as GT2 seats.

I have seen a couple of installations of the prior gen 996 GT3 seats in 987s. These are fixed back and have no airbags. The sliders will fit the bolt pattern in 987s.

The latest 991 GT3 and 981 GT4/ Spyder bucket seats are a different design and have fixed backs and also electric height adjustment. Oddly the passenger seat has no sub belt cutout but the driver seat does. The factory has called these both Lightweight Bucket Seats and Full Bucket Seats. Most commonly called LWBs.

Attachments

Reactions: gcurnew

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The car in question is a CS Sport that has the seats. They must have been special ordered if they weren’t available on the 08 CS Sport, because they are in fact on the build sheet.

Do you find those to be the same as the others you describe?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Interesting. I had not seen sport buckets in a 987.1. But I did find an old photo of CS Sport 407 with the GT2 style seats- same as the photo I posted of my 12 CR. I'd say go for it if the car checks out, PPI etc. Worst case is you find them uncomfortable. You should be able to easily trade them for sport seats plus cash. The seats are desirable especially for track use. Best of luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting. I had not seen sport buckets in a 987.1. But I did find an old photo of CS Sport 407 with the GT2 style seats- same as the photo I posted of my 12 CR. I'd say go for it if the car checks out, PPI etc. Worst case is you find them uncomfortable. You should be able to easily trade them for sport seats plus cash. The seats are desirable especially for track use. Best of luck.
+1
You’ll have no problem selling those seats or trading plus cash. I’d buy that car in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1
You’ll have no problem selling those seats or trading plus cash. I’d buy that car in a heartbeat.

Thank you both. My goal would be to keep it as original as possible if I ended up with it. If the seats work for me at all, I will try to keep them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Did you get to try out any seats yet? I will be visiting San Diego next week on Tuesday & Wednesday in my Cayman R with Sports Bucket Seats. Please let me know if you want to check them out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you get to try out any seats yet? I will be visiting San Diego next week on Tuesday & Wednesday in my Cayman R with Sports Bucket Seats. Please let me know if you want to check them out.
I did actually. I got to check out this GT4 that had them. I really appreciate your offering though. Are you coming down for a car show or just leisure?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.