Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a standard steering wheel with triangular centre and I want to upgrade to a sports steering wheel. What are the correct part numbers (MY06) for a sports wheel and a multi-function sports wheel?

·
Registered
52 Posts
As greywolf mentioned suncoast is a great place to start. I've ordered a few things from them and found them very helpful. If you want to shop around after finding the wheel you're looking for you can use the part number found in the files section at http://www.planet-9.com//downloads.php?do=file&id=246. If you wouldn't mind, when you do find what you're looking for please post where you decided to buy from. I also have that wheel and have been thinking of changing it out. Thanks and good luck.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I did this and haven't regretted it for a moment… other than when the bill came. ;-)

Note that the impact on your checkbook will not be small; I believe in my case the wheel, airbag and installation ended up being $2400+:

XPA Sport Steering Wheel: $1549
Leather Air Bag: $720
Installation: $125

If you don't mind the standard Sports steering wheel ($589) and Leatherette Air Bag ($570) you can save quite a bit of money.

The Multifunction Wheel ($699.95) uses the same triangular airbag as the standard wheel but will cost more to have installed because of the connections that need to be made and the reprogramming that will need to be done.

You can also upgrade to the new 2010 Steering Wheel (with the flattened bottom) for a wheel + airbag price starting at $1495 for plain, $1795 for multifunction (add $65 for leather rather than leatherette air bag.)

Since airbags contain an explosive, they're considered hazardous to ship, so finding one on eBay will be difficult unless the seller is located nearby or has a commercial shipping account; you and I can't just go down to the UPS Store or FedEx Office and ship out a hazardous material product. :(

·
Registered
310 Posts
You can also upgrade to the new 2010 Steering Wheel (with the flattened bottom) for a wheel + airbag price starting at $1495 for plain, $1795 for multifunction (add $65 for leather rather than leatherette air bag.)
(

Just one clarification on the 2010 wheel on a MY06...you need a new steering module (~215 bucks) and it needs to be reprogrammed in order for the horn to work properly as there are differences in the wheels. I just did this conversion and can confirm that the horn does not work without the steering module.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks BillK. The multi-function wheel that is compatible with the triangular airbag, is it the same diameter and thickness of the standard wheel?

·
Registered
115 Posts
2400 bucks? Wow. It's a steering wheel right? Nothing else? Can't make me a coffee or something in the morning? That might make it worth it. Anyone know of a sub 1000 dollar option, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Installation: $125
Installation takes 10-20 minutes & a $5 part.

1. open doors (or roll down window) & trunk (do not close trunk once battery is disconnected)

2. disconnect battery

3. stick flat head screwdriver or porsche key in to the hole on bottom side of airbar, this releases the airbag

4. pull out flip tabs on yellow & green connector then they just pop off, disconnect other wire

5. unscrew large 12 point "torx" bolt, you can use a Torx T-55 or better find the correct 12mm 12 point tool. I found a 4 pack of the 12 point tools for $5 at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Now do reverse, go from step 5 to 1 to put new steering wheel in!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.