Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my very new and sophisticated GTS has been built and is waiting on the docks in Germany to be shipped to the US. And, I'm thinking of defacing the thing by putting on some fun and sporty decals. Sacrilege - i know! But, this is supposed to be a fun weekend car right? And, decals are not permanent. So, my question is what do you think of my choices?

Choice 1 - is to go with the Porsche Martini Livery sold as OEM for the 911 on my Red car - like Pic 1. Cost about $1,300

Choice 2 - is to have the car completely wrapped in white and do a custom Martini Livery - like Pic 2. Cost about $3,500

Choice 3 - is to put on Rally Stripes in Plantinum Satin with black outline like the Ferrari Scuderia - Pic 3. Cost about $1,500

Choice 4 - is to use the older GT3 4.0 "Unicorn" done in Platinum Satin with black accent outline - Pic 4. Cost about $1,500

And, if not any of the 4, any other suggestions for giving the car the racing look?

Just for the record, I may end up doing nothing other than a cool retro meatball number for track days. Thanks for your input. Matt

Attachments

·
Noob
857 Posts
I really like the martini stripes, but unsure how they will look on a red car (this is something I have also been thinking about, mine being carmine red) - specially when the red stripe of martini might be a different shade of red.
On white they look awesome, especially the 918 version. There is also a greyscale version of martini stripes, though again unsure how grey will look on red.

Also there is another choice, the porsche motorsport stripe that goes slightly off the center, like towards the driver's side. Thats like red/black/grey.
Similar / some version of this http://www.kistudios.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/RS-1-1024x682.jpg
http://www.pfcbrakes.com/Repository/Images/Motorsport_PFC_OfficPart_br_4c_GreyBKG_small.jpg

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I would not do the Martini stripes for two reason:

1. Out of place on a Cayman. While imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, it just looks out of place. Why give Martini & Rossi free advertising? You should charge them for wrapping your car.
2. Belongs on a white car, not red. Just won't look right. Out of place.

Go bold, do a GT3RS checkerboard thing. Be a grizzly bear, not a tiny black bear. ;) As you said, its temporary.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like the Ferrari Scud and GT3 RS 4.0 the best. Love the Martini, but not on red.

what about a white checkered flag along the side?

Or, go for the Dukes of Hazard!

But... for the ultimate.... go for a nice Starsky and Hutch white stripe down the side!!!!

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
to me ... if it is going to spend time on the street, then nothing...... if it is a track only car, then whatever turns you on works for me.....

Reactions: jnx55

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the Ferrari Scud and GT3 RS 4.0 the best. Love the Martini, but not on red.

what about a white checkered flag along the side?

But... for the ultimate.... go for a nice Starsky and Hutch white stripe down the side!!!!

Yep, Walked right into that one. Pretty good, I'm still laughing!!!

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I vote for pic 3 on your red car.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
$1,500 for some stickers? Back in the days, when I used to like to put racing stripes and other decals on the car. I used to take my design to a local sign shop and they would print decals for the entire car for about $250 similar to No3 and No4, probably a bit more today but nowhere near $1,500, No1 and No2 is overdone and like another member said, why advertised for them if you are not getting paid.

·
Registered
507 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was in Singapore last week and saw a white Cayman on the road with Martini livery on it. I was in a cab and couldn't take a pic as it drove by but it actually looked pretty cool! It looked like your first pic of the 911. Not sure if it's a custom wrap or if Porsche makes the kit for the Cayman as well.

Go for it! Your car will definitely be unique. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I'd guess its the silly "new" pricing structure. Once in the used market, the true prices reveal themselves as the ragtops are always more valuable. A guess.
I think you are right, just checking ebay.com. There are more people following and viewing ragtops then hardtops. On both rennlist and 6speedonline, there are daily threads about buying a 997.1 and 997.2. For mid 60's, you can get a low mileage CPO'ed 997.2. Again, 911 is an icon and a car a lot of people dream of owning as a kid. The Cayman is the odd model out.

·
Registered
507 Posts
That one also has no options at all almost. So with a base price of a bare 981 S, thats a year or two old with little miles. Makes sense to me

·
Registered
706 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
I found it on the "VitaminJapan" instagram page.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I vote for pic 3 on your red car.
Seconded! The martini stripes are for white cars. The dual stripe makes a statement over the unicorn.

Black (instead of gray) would also look cool.

Stick with basic themes and colors, you've already got a "loud" car ("loud" in a good way:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts