Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the winter coat off my baby today to move her back a few inches in the garage.
This Pennsylvania winter has just been brutal. I have not so much as looked at my Boxster since I last moved her in early December. I removed the battery tender and she started right up with a growl that begged me to take her out for a spin. Since my driveway is still covered with an inch of ice; it probably would not have been a good idea. So I just sat there for ten or fifteen minutes, gave her some gas, wiped down some of the interior and listened to the exhuast and the radio. Then, I sadly covered her back up until mid April. A nice reminder that this winter will soon be over while waiting for the snow and ice in the forecast for tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Took the winter coat off my baby today to move her back a few inches in the garage.
This Pennsylvania winter has just been brutal. I have not so much as looked at my Boxster since I last moved her in early December. I removed the battery tender and she started right up with a growl that begged me to take her out for a spin. Since my driveway is still covered with an inch of ice; it probably would not have been a good idea. So I just sat there for ten or fifteen minutes, gave her some gas, wiped down some of the interior and listened to the exhuast and the radio. Then, I sadly covered her back up until mid April. A nice reminder that this winter will soon be over while waiting for the snow and ice in the forecast for tomorrow.
I feel your pain! Some 60 degree days here coming up next week. Can't wait for some top down driving again. At least, I can still drive mine with the top up. But top down is really where the fun is.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Took the winter coat off my baby today to mover her back a few inches in the garage.
this Pennsylvania winter has just been brutal. I have not so much as looked at my Boxster sine I last moved her in early December. I removed the battery tender and she started right up with a growl that begged me to take her out for a spin. Since my driveway is still covered with an inch of ice; it probably would not have been a good idea. So I just sat there for ten or fifteen minutes, gave her some gas, wiped down some of the interior and listened to the exhuast and the radio. Then, I sadly covered her back up until mid April. A nice reminder that this winter will soon be over while waitin for the snow and ice in the forecast for tomorrow.
Yes indeed Larry.

Often we here in PA get a break or two at least temperature wise during the "off season" that I use to finish detailing LG and to get her ready to stretch her legs once the salt and gravel are washed away. And even though I can (not normal due to $$$$) put a good amount of heat in LG's garage, the concrete floor remains too cold for this old body to crawl around on even with some nice pads.

So look out P Phil. And come on Spring.

I have heard the last couple of sunny days the harbingers of nicer weather - the ye old Robins.

:cheers:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Last year I did the whole winter storage thing and was miserable. This year, since moving to Philly and having a heated garage, I didn't even bother putting the cover on it. I've been taking it out on clear days and only put the trickle charger on two weeks ago when the snow started coming in. Funny, today I tore apart the house looking for the spare key and while checking to see if it was in the car, I had this moment of just sitting behind the wheel... in the closed garage... pining for spring! Can. Not. Wait.

·
Registered
911 Posts

I have heard the last couple of sunny days the harbingers of nicer weather - the ye old Robins.

I'm not too far south of you (D.C. metro area) and saw a pair of robins around the 2nd week of January. They looked very confused - flew off and I haven't seen any more since.

This is fine with me as they love to eat the berries from the large holly tree on one side of my driveway. I don't miss the berries, but they manage to instantaneously convert them to poop and then fly over my BMW and my wife's Ford with their "gifts". I'll bet they will next try to figure out how to get into the garage to similarly anoint my Boxster!

Our earliest Spring harbinger is generally the snowdrops which first bloom anywhere from mid January to mid February - but the first ones that started to come up last week are now buried under about 6" of un-melted snow.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The robins have been here in south-central PA for the last couple of months. A whole flock attacked our holly tree about a month ago. Denuded it of berries in two days. Oh yes, with the resultant red spots all over the driveway!

I took the CGTS out for a spin last Thursday and got snow melt and salt/sand dust all over her. Now she sits forlornly in the garage waiting for a warm (35+) day for a quick wash...next Wednesday, maybe??

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I think we went ~7 weeks where it was never above freezing. After next week we'll likely have a snowfall record (> 9 feet) with winter not being over, and the possibility for it to snow again come November. I'm sure the burbs around here got even more.

Regardless, PZero + freezing temps + X73 = wheeeeeeee at 20mph.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Here in Michigan we too got a record winter, with temp being in 10s for like two months now. And white stuff falling from the sky every day.

I'm glad my baby is in heated garage, and does not look like my winter beater:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Utah had a winter that did not happen... Not good since we need the snow, it's our water supply for the summer.

However that means daily driving the Box, yeah! Well, today it started snowing, finally! So garage it is and yes, spring is just a few weeks ahead, right????

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
The temp here hasn't hit 30 since Dec sometime. Usually we get a couple of days above freezing but not this winter. Besides missing my toys, I hate even looking at my Xterra. It has so much salt on it that you can't even tell it's blue, and it's been too cold to wash it.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
My 981 has been sitting in my unheated garage since November ... hasn't moved since. Like KCZ, the weather here has been brutal with no breaks from the snow and frigid cold temperatures. The roads are covered with salt and sand. I usually manage to get a few days of winter driving in ... when the weather warms up a bit and the roads are clear ... but not this year.

Last week the temperature got into the teens and I decided it was time to at least start the car and let it run for a while. It's been on a CTEK 3300, and it fired up instantly. I let it run until water and oil temps got up into the normal operating range, then shut it down again. I sure hope it's a mild spring ... I really want to drive this car again.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Subzero (F) nights, crisp blue sky days with the temps staying low enough to prevent snow melt on the road: some of the best driving days of the year (allowing for the mushy 18" snow tires). I've taken to using chemical guys waterless cleaner when car is back in the garage to keep it looking reasonably clean. I took this picture yesterday morning after a week of commuting on dry roads, then I went out and drove 100 miles yesterday on curving dry mountain roads. Great P-car day.

I admit I have it easier without having to clean a Boxster top.

2015-02-28 10.12.02.jpg

Reactions: Mike R. and AndyA6

·
Registered
349 Posts
Wow. Living in sunny South Africa I can't even imagine what it's like having a white winter. In the east coast where I live the winter temps hardly ever go below 15 degrees Celsius (60F)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I live in northern MD about 10 minutes from the PA line. I would expect that our weather is about the same, and I've been able to drive my 981S at least once a week throughout the winter. Like you we've gotten lots of snow but they do an excellent job of clearing the roads, and typically we are down to bare pavement within 12 hours of the end of the storm. I usually wait a couple days for the salt to mostly disappear from the roads, and then I go for at least an hour drive. I just don't think it's good for the car to sit for prolonged periods of time. BTW I have never used a battery tender, and my 981S fires instantly even when the temperatures are in the low single digits as they have been in our area for many days in February.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They use magnesium chloride brine on the roads here. Unless you thoroughly wash your car after every drive in the winter it will eat your undercarriage. I also have about a 40 degree incline on my driveway. Even with winter tires, rear wheel drive has an extremely difficult time getting the car up my drive with a mere micron coating of snow or ice. I presently have about an inch of ice in my driveway. Considering we have had maybe 14 hours total above freezing since early January; not taking the car out is not a choice. The ice is not going anywhere soon and neither is the car. I have an all wheel drive Acura TL to get me where I need to go.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
They use magnesium chloride brine on the roads here. Unless you thoroughly wash your car after every drive in the winter it will eat your undercarriage. I also have about a 40 degree incline on my driveway. Even with winter tires, rear wheel drive has an extremely difficult time getting the car up my drive with a mere micron coating of snow or ice. I presently have about an inch of ice in my driveway. Considering we have had maybe 14 hours total above freezing since early January; not taking the car out is not a choice. The ice is not going anywhere soon and neither is the car. I have an all wheel drive Acura TL to get me where I need to go.
That's like driving up my roof.
PitchDegrees.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can't agree more...after 2 months of test drives/talking to dealers and skulking on this forum, I signed the paperwork on a 2014 Cayman S yesterday :dance:
Car will be at the dealer for a few more days getting a clear mask. BUT. Mother Nature decided to bring winter to Denver this month so while paved roads are fine I live on 10 acres with a dirt driveway. Like LKdiver, my road is currently compacted ice and snow . So with the performance tires on the car I don't see it making it to my garage. Driving it into the ditch on the way home seems like a bad plan?
Weather forecast says 50s by the end of the week so maybe it can come home next weekend.....
In the meantime I guess I'll have to hang on to the BMW for a bit longer. :(

Reactions: Mike R. and KCZ

·
Registered
205 Posts
It's official. They've just declared February as the coldest on record for this part of Pennsylvania!!:helpme: Okay, now can we move on to Spring?:thanks: Oh, don't forget to turn your clocks ahead (to SUMMER time) next weekend!

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
...while paved roads are fine I live on 10 acres with a dirt driveway. Like LKdiver, my road is currently compacted ice and snow . So with the performance tires on the car I don't see it making it to my garage. Driving it into the ditch on the way home seems like a bad plan?
... :(
Yup, if you have any kind of incline you will NOT make it to the garage with summer performance tires.

I have a steep 100+ yard driveway but it is black top and faces west. I do my own plowing with a Kubota RTV to keep it from building up too much snow and ice, and when there is thick packed ice I have a Kubota tractor with front end loader that I use to scrape away the ice. Yes, I do use the aging 3 series AWD for the miserable days when there is snow / slush / salt on the roads. But I'll be d***ed if I have to keep the really fun car in the garage, fully insured, registered and relentlessly depreciating on those occasional dry days. It's worth the effort!

Edit: That being said I can't wait for Spring and putting on the summer tires, only got to use them for 1 day, on delivery.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts