Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I FINALLY finished my spring detail on my 981 CS I bought late last year. The paint was not great and needed a lot of work, so I got started about two weeks ago and have been in the garage after work every night doing bit by bit. The regimen was as follows:
1. Wash using Meguiars car wash
2. Clay using Mothers Clay and Quick detailer (don't use the microfiber that comes with this kit...very poor quality and WILL scratch your clear coat as you remove the detailer left over from claying )
3. Dr Colorchip...LOTS of Dr Colorchip.
4. Menzerna intensive polish on a Lake Country Orange pad/Porter Cable. One area was bad enough that I had to break out a yellow Lake Country cutting pad.
5. Menzerna final polish using same pad type
6. Poor Boys Black Hole Glaze
7. Poor Boys EXP Sealant --2 coats
8. A coat of Megiuars wax that I had as I wait patiently for my Dodo Juice Blue Velvet to arrive.

Overall, the car looks very good. I have had better success with other cars using DR Colorchip and I think it is the softness of the Porsche paint. On most cars, a rock chip just takes away the paint and leaves a hole...on the Porsche, the paint seems to be so soft that the paint around the chip deforms and is no longer flat, requiring some polishing to try to get an even surface....which I gave up on in the end. It turned out acceptable, much more so than white dots on a Dark Metallic Blue surface. The Black Hole really makes the metallic pop...very good product for this dark paint. I am looking forward to getting some Blue Velvet on there to see how it will affect the depth. Anyway, looks like I am now ready for summer...just not sure when it will finally arrive here!

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
In general, what is your opinion of Griot's products? I'm looking for a one-step polish / sealer / wax for navy blue, metallic silver, and white. I'd like to minimize the number of different products. I use clay and a RA 1-2 times a year.

TIA,
Tom

·
Registered
301 Posts
In general, what is your opinion of Griot's products? I'm looking for a one-step polish / sealer / wax for navy blue, metallic silver, and white. I'd like to minimize the number of different products. I use clay and a RA 1-2 times a year.

TIA,
Tom
Sealants and wax take so little time to apply that there really is no reason to look for a "one step" that incorporates those elements, if such a thing even exists. And depending on your choice in polymer sealant, you probably don't/won't want to wax on top. So you just need a one-step polish or cutting compound, and then a sealant.

·
Read Only
106 Posts
I FINALLY finished my spring detail on my 981 CS I bought late last year. The paint was not great and needed a lot of work, so I got started about two weeks ago and have been in the garage after work every night doing bit by bit. The regimen was as follows:
1. Wash using Meguiars car wash
2. Clay using Mothers Clay and Quick detailer (don't use the microfiber that comes with this kit...very poor quality and WILL scratch your clear coat as you remove the detailer left over from claying )
3. Dr Colorchip...LOTS of Dr Colorchip.
4. Menzerna intensive polish on a Lake Country Orange pad/Porter Cable. One area was bad enough that I had to break out a yellow Lake Country cutting pad.
5. Menzerna final polish using same pad type
6. Poor Boys Black Hole Glaze
7. Poor Boys EXP Sealant --2 coats
8. A coat of Megiuars wax that I had as I wait patiently for my Dodo Juice Blue Velvet to arrive.

Overall, the car looks very good. I have had better success with other cars using DR Colorchip and I think it is the softness of the Porsche paint. On most cars, a rock chip just takes away the paint and leaves a hole...on the Porsche, the paint seems to be so soft that the paint around the chip deforms and is no longer flat, requiring some polishing to try to get an even surface....which I gave up on in the end. It turned out acceptable, much more so than white dots on a Dark Metallic Blue surface. The Black Hole really makes the metallic pop...very good product for this dark paint. I am looking forward to getting some Blue Velvet on there to see how it will affect the depth. Anyway, looks like I am now ready for summer...just not sure when it will finally arrive here!
This post is perfect. I was just researching how to detail my car in time for spring! Thank you.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

TIA,
Tom
I am not really a fan of all in one products, especially anything that says polish. I only want to polish parts of a car that need it...if the paint is good after a clay, it doesn't need to be polished. If there are swirls or scratches, it is time to bring out the buffer and polish. And a buffer is important...you don't get enough heat into the polish by hand to really break it down and start a good polish...and random orbital means good things for your paint.

After that, the world is your oyster. Once your paint is good, start making it look deep and wet. You get shine from polish, you get depth and wet and color from sealants and glazes and waxes. Again, I use more than one product here because I am looking for specific effects. I use a dark glaze for color. The sealant (double) is for depth and protection. Sealants do a very good job of protecting your paint and last longer than waxes...a lot longer. I put wax over the top for depth, not really for protection.

Detailing is a good weekend for me...very relaxing and enjoyable....that and I don't really trust anyone else with a buffer and my car.
If you really want to reduce products, I would just make sure you separate polish and everything after. Don't take off clearcoat that doesn't need it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.