Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put my 2014 BS away for winter Nov. 13th. Started up last Sunday April 12th. Fired up with no problem. Why all the talk about trickle chargers etc. when all I've ever done is disconnect the -ve. battery terminal & have never had any issues starting car in the Spring?

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
Put my 2014 BS away for winter Nov. 13th. Started up last Sunday April 12th. Fired up with no problem. Why all the talk about trickle chargers etc. when all I've ever done is disconnect the -ve. battery terminal & have never had any issues starting car in the Spring?
Congrates and enjoy hopefully a long driving season after the long last winter.

Ttlation

A quick Q. FMInfo what is the -ve. terminal as to + or - side?

Also early on - maybe late 2013 - in some efforts where people where disconnecting batteries to do some sort of modes, I remembered (I think?? :hilarious:) that disconnecting Battery (maybe a certain terminal) for some period beyond an hour or so would throw a fault that needed to be cleared at Dealer or via an OBD.

I have done it for a few minutes with no problem. But the possibility of a fault issue with any prolonged disconnect still lingers in this OLD and degrading mind of mine.

So I gather you have no such issue? I wonder if it is a 2013 Model year issue. Ugh!.

:thanks: (and any others) for any feedback.

:cheers:

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
I also did my first winter without any charger and without doing anything special at all. No problems. But the theory for charger is that if you don't do it - battery will loose some capacity and eventually die. I don't know if it's true, and how much replacement battery can cost anyway? (non-porsche) But I bought a charger because for $60 it's not expensive and looks cool :)

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
See How Lead Acid Batteries Work: Battery Basics from Progressive Dynamics and Car and Deep Cycle Battery Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Section 14. If the battery is connected to nothing, it will discharge to nothing over time and become sulphated. The rate of discharge depends upon temperature of storage. As per the first references, its not unreasonable to lose 4%/week. After 5 month, it might have enough juice to start the car but damaged.

Severely sulphated batteries are done. Some sulphated batteries can be reconditioned, for example, by the CTEK conditioning cycle. In any case, not maintaining is simply reducing the life of the battery.

·
Registered
538 Posts
  1. If the battery is connected to nothing, it will discharge to nothing over time and become sulphated. The rate of discharge depends upon temperature of storage.
  1. always remember to check MF date of new batteries as they may have been on a warehouse shelf for many months.
  2. If you go Lithium Ion you will have a lot less issue over the long haul. There is no memory and no scheduled cycling is required to prolong the battery's life.

Typically, among rechargeable batteries, Li-ion absorb the least amount of self-discharge (around 2–3% discharge per year,) then lead-acid at 4-6%, while nickel-based batteries are more seriously affected by the phenomenon (NiCad, 15–20%; NiMH, 30%,) with the exception of Low self-discharge NiMH batteries (2-3%.)

·
Registered
381 Posts
You area lucky, lucky man not to have any issues with no trickle charger with the frigid weather we have had this year. My battery and or alternator is toast. My car started with no issues a few weeks ago after being garaged since November 1st. My battery was connected to a trickle charger. It's going in tomorrow for a look at the local mechanic. I suspect I will have to replace the battery. The car is still under warranty so the alternator would be covered if that is the issue. Anyway......

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I'm not sure where to check the "MFing" date....but I'm on my 2nd battery in 9 years. They tell you when they are dead, in my experience....

Sein why do you think your alternator is toast? Replace the battery yourself and see what happens. The hardest part is not cracking the plastic innards of the frunk. Don't ask!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts