Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some search and read a thread on how some people paid $1200 for spring installation (gasp!) my dealer quoted $1000 (4 corners + alignment).

What did you pay to install the springs?

·
PCA / POC Member and Club Donor
207 Posts
$500 with 4 wheel alignment. Make sure to put the windows down before the battery is disconnected. If it is a PASM equipped car the PASM will not engage again until after 2 or 3 restarts.

·
Registered
620 Posts
As has been commented before - this is a big job, especially the rear. It took me ~10 hours by myself (not counting alignment), which I think is the longest a car has ever taken me. Alignment can also be done properly without a full rig - but those that can/would do this mostly already know who they are. There is a certain gratification in doing things like this yourself, and comfort in knowing it's done right. But, you also need to balance that against whether you'd enjoy it and how much you think your time is worth.

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,932 Posts
A good suspension shop that has done this before will need only 4 to 5 hours, maybe six, with a proper alignment. Shop rates vary, but Chucko's report of $500 is accurate (and this is in SoCal). $1000 is more reasonable if you add sway bars (the front is a bit of work) and control arms at the same time, but not for just springs and alignment.

Seek out a good Porsche race shop in our area and consider adding a used set of Bilstein HDs at the same time.;)

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Did some search and read a thread on how some people paid $1200 for spring installation (gasp!) my dealer quoted $1000 (4 corners + alignment).

ALLDATA says 5.7 hours of labor for front & rear. Assuming the alignment is about $250-300 (I'm guessing, but typical), that would put the labor rate at about $100-$120/hr, which also sounds about right for a dealer. $1000 might be a touch high, but certainly in the realm of reasonable for a dealer. Unless the tech has done this job before I bet it'll take more than 5.7 hours.

Having read the procedure description, I have to agree with Jeff G, this is a big job for all but the most experienced DIY types. If your idea of a challenging DIY job is replacing the brake rotors and pads, I'd stay away from this one.

One suggestion - the tech is going to have to disassemble a lot of delicate interior rear trim to get the struts out. I'd have the service writer note the condition of the trim before the job is started, and I'd inspect the trim before leaving the dealership with the car.

·
Tennessee Vol
649 Posts

Picked my CS up yesterday from Jay Putnam Engineering in Delray Beach, Florida. Had H&R Springs installed. Cost was:

$720 labor (6 hours)
$200 alignment
$920 Total

·
Registered
341 Posts
I paid Protechnic here in Houston $630 for the install of H&R springs with a 4 wheel alignment for an extra $195. Took them almost all day to do everything, and they said I got a deal at that. He told me if I hadn't asked for a quote upfront, that they'd have charged me more. So I felt like I got a deal. I paid about $300 for the springs from Performance Automotive.

·
Registered
383 Posts
H&R springs, installation with alignment $850 - First Cayman so got a discount

Upgraded to JIC CROSS coilovers, installation, alignment $ 1100 if I remember correctly, included extra labor in cutting open the front shocks area to access the camber plates.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I found a shop that does many of these installs. They also have a very good alignment tech. They quoted me $625 with alignment. I am pretty sure this is the one I will use.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Tomasz per your posts on Audiworld didn't you sell and recommend springs at one time? So have you changed your mind on recommendations and installations? Would be nice to know.

·
Registered
973 Posts
i think i paid $1100 for tire mount/balance, wheel alignment, spring install, AND exhaust install

so for springs/tires alone around $900 labor

1 - 20 of 21 Posts