Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been using their sprint booster for 3 years or more?

Any issues? I'm told that over time, SB (maybe other similar devices as well?) will fry the ECU?

Would like to verify. Thanks.

·
PCA Member
189 Posts
Anyone been using their sprint booster for 3 years or more?

Any issues? I'm told that over time, SB (maybe other similar devices as well?) will fry the ECU?

Would like to verify. Thanks.
Hi,

I have had my sprint booster in my 2006 cayman s, since 2014. I have had no issues with it.

I am very happy with it. I have a stick shift.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I've had mine in my 2010 Cayman for almost 10 yrs with no problems. I've never heard of anyone having problems.

·
Registered
2006 Boxster S
41 Posts
Owned 2 Boxsters over the last 10 years and just learning about Sprint Booster today! Years ago I added a small device to my Harley that tricked the O2 sensors into allowing ECM to deliver just a bit more fuel. Made no more horsepower but just made the throttle more responsive. Of course the guys with expensive tuners branded it as snake oil, but it worked exactly as it was advertised! Looking forward to giving a Sprint Booster a try!!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Five years on my GTI and 10 years on the 987.1. Not a single problem and probably the best mod I've done. Don't believe those people who say "all you gotta do is press the accelerator quicker".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Five years on my GTI and 10 years on the 987.1. Not a single problem and probably the best mod I've done. Don't believe those people who say "all you gotta do is press the accelerator quicker".
So I've never owned one or driven one, but, wouldn't putting it in sport or sport+ do the same? The car seems to get a lot livelier when doing so.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes and no. Sb basically tricks the car for a faster acceleration which you will also have in sport mode. It won't however make the car hold gears like in sport or sport plus mode. I find this ".5" setting to be really good for daily driving. Sport mode can get jerky for city driving. Sb does what a heavy gas foot would do I suppose.

My lay explanation.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I doubt it would damage anything, all the sprint booster does is read the signal from the pedal position sensor and output a modified signal to the ECU that indicates the pedal is pressed further.

·
Registered
126 Posts
SB is very different from a heavy gas foot, there is no way to reproduce a "drive by cable" feeling by simple pressing the gas pedal more or faster.

For me, SB is one of the best mods that you can make, to the point that I have integrated it into my custom infotainment system, so I change modes with voice by just saying "Porsche.... sports mode" or "Porsche.... circuit mode" (or "city mode" for the trafic packed streets)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
SB is very different from a heavy gas foot, there is no way to reproduce a "drive by cable" feeling by simple pressing the gas pedal more or faster.

For me, SB is one of the best mods that you can make, to the point that I have integrated it into my infotainment system, so I change modes by just saying "Porsche.... sports mode" or "Porsche.... circuit mode" (or "city mode" for the trafic packed streets)
AMEN!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a Mercedes CLK 3.2 liter coupe that definitely needed a SB in regular mode. My 14 base in sport mode is that same as SB

·
Administrator
34,483 Posts
Just to clarify folks, the signal that the accelerator pedal sensor outputs and which is modified by the sprint booster, is going onto the CAN BUS in the car where it is interpreted by the ECU provided that conditions are met (proper ID on the bus, parameters are valid, etc.) It is NOT connected to your ECU. Let's pretend, for a moment, that the Sprint Booster has gone bad and is sending bad signals onto the CAN BUS. If those signals don't have the proper ID sequence or are outside of accepted parameters they are ignored by the logic gates that feed the ECU, thus the sprint booster isn't going to damage your ECU any more than say a faulty tail light that shorts out and produces a value out of range. It's the same reason that a SmartKey that enables auto-dipping mirrors isn't going to dip your mirrors so far that they snap off because the system only accepts certain parameters for information traffic on the CAN BUS. So anyone who tells you that using a sprint booster for a few years is going to "fry" your ECU doesn't know the first thing about how a modern CAN BUS system works in a Porsche. Might make for good click bait though...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to clarify folks, the signal that the accelerator pedal sensor outputs and which is modified by the sprint booster, is going onto the CAN BUS in the car where it is interpreted by the ECU provided that conditions are met (proper ID on the bus, parameters are valid, etc.) It is NOT connected to your ECU. Let's pretend, for a moment, that the Sprint Booster has gone bad and is sending bad signals onto the CAN BUS. If those signals don't have the proper ID sequence or are outside of accepted parameters they are ignored by the logic gates that feed the ECU, thus the sprint booster isn't going to damage your ECU any more than say a faulty tail light that shorts out and produces a value out of range. It's the same reason that a SmartKey that enables auto-dipping mirrors isn't going to dip your mirrors so far that they snap off because the system only accepts certain parameters for information traffic on the CAN BUS. So anyone who tells you that using a sprint booster for a few years is going to "fry" your ECU doesn't know the first thing about how a modern CAN BUS system works in a Porsche. Might make for good click bait though...
Thanks for this.

·
Registered
153 Posts
So this thread's convinced me to order a sprint booster and while I wait for mine to get shipped, what settings do you guys recommend for it? From reading it seems most people prefer the green setting but the v3 has a further 10 adjustability modes in that mode. Wish they just had green and red to simplify it.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I use green, but then I only have three choices. Since the newer versions have more modes you will have to experiment. Set it where it works best for a throttle blip. That's where it makes the most difference.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts