Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read good things here about adding a sprint booster attatched to the pedal to increase performance, particulaly low-end torque. (I have a 2009 2.9 Cayman PDK).
However, I am a bit hesitant in messing with the electronics, considering all the horror stories about Toyota's unintended acceleration fiasco.
Is there any risk assoc. with adding the sprint booster? It sounds awesome, but am I taking a chance by messing with the throttle-by-wire acceleration system?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Completely safe! we do not have the carpet issues that Toyota's have.

On, I do have one for sale in the classifieds! $225.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, but Toyota's problems are deeper than that the carpeting, it probably is indeed a software issue.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
The Sprint Booster does not increase performance or torque, it merely changes the throttle response electronically, much the same way that the Sport Chrono does. It may make the car feel peppier, but it isn't adding any HP.

I have not heard of any unintended acceleration cases related to its use in the 987s thus far.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
If I understand correctly, the SprintBooster remaps the voltage curve but within the same hi-lo limits. What happens with that voltage when it gets to where its going shouldn't be changed.

There are so few Caymans that it would be hard to get a statistically significant sample for SUA. Edmunds has compiled some stats - they ignore cars with under 30000 units in the field. Plus, it appears that SUA is a US-only phenomena. Someone on another car forum commented that we should be like pilots and contingent plan for problems. In a new (to me) car, I stomp on the brakes to get a feel of the ABS. Every winter, I make sure to mess around with skid recovery in a parking lot - hell, that's fun. In this case, you could think about what you'd do if there was SUA - bang it into neutral and get on the brakes early and hard - you'll lose vacuum under WOT. There are accounts of mechanically savvy people who have had the problem in a Toyota and gotten to the dealer in fits and starts by stopping and shutting down, then repeating until arrival at said dealer.

Forewarned is half an octopus....:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts