Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Porsche uses that same pedal in a ton of different cars, I'd expect it to work regardless of PDK etc. All it is doing is piggybacking off the position sensor to tell the DME that you've pressed the pedal further. Sprint Booster's site lists the same model fitting the entire 981 range both Boxster, Cayman, 911, Panamera, etc.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Porsche uses that same pedal in a ton of different cars, I'd expect it to work regardless of PDK etc. All it is doing is piggybacking off the position sensor to tell the DME that you've pressed the pedal further. Sprint Booster's site lists the same model fitting the entire 981 range both Boxster, Cayman, 911, Panamera, etc.
Thanks for the info. I just asked the seller and he also has the same base pdk as me.

For anyone that’s installed this, where did you mount it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've ran my SB in 3 of my cars, manual & 2xpdk ( base/GTS/S ) no issues

zip tied it out the way behind the gas pedal, ran the controller to knee height in the driver footwell within easy reach ( just make sure the cables are secured )

know what I'm doing with the unit so dont need it in line of sight and prefer it tucked away now

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
658 Posts
I have watched YouTube videos on Sprint Booster and the demonstration showed that the throttle valve actually open faster with SB vs quick stab of the accelerator pedal on stock car.
Can you guys confirm this? Does SB make the car really more responsive?

·
Registered
2009 987.2 2.9 6-speed
281 Posts
Thanks ICNU. I learned something there. I didn't know you could disconnect the controller after you set your mode. BTW, I love my Sprint Booster.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is there any writeup on how this actually works? I found the article explaining how all this can do is adjust the voltage map, you go to 100% with less pedal travel so you're losing precision, etc. Which sounded totally plausible. But this video seems to contradict that. Not only did the throttle open faster, he also showed that you still have control over the throttle position.

Edit: So this is the article I was referring to. The comments section is kind of a trip. I also found a video on the Sprint Booster site which shows the clipping (at around 1:03).

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm not saying these don't work; but people definitely tend to get caught up in the marketing hype around these things and overstate what they are capable of. They do function to alter the pedal position signals from the pedal, which the DME then responds accordingly - Porsche does something similar right in the DME with various sport mode buttons. The SB doesn't: do anything to change how the DME responds to whatever pedal position it sees, add horsepower, or cook you breakfast the next day.

But this video seems to contradict that. Not only did the throttle open faster, he also showed that you still have control over the throttle position.
Consider for a moment that it is a demo rig meant to entice you into buying a sprint booster and not an actual car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Consider for a moment that it is a demo rig meant to entice you into buying a sprint booster and not an actual car.
Hehe, I did consider that :) Even if "it doesn't do anything you couldn't do by mashing the pedal" is true, It'll probably still be very fun to have one and play with it. It's similar to the Sport Mode button on my base 2.7 - I don't have PASM, I don't have dynamic engine mounts, so all that's doing is changing the throttle map. Meaning, I could accomplish the same thing by being more aggressive with my foot. But still, it's fun to turn that on and feel the car's response change.

The SB doesn't: do anything to change how the DME responds to whatever pedal position it happens to be at
Is there any chance the DME behavior is influenced by the rate of pedal movement, rather than just the position?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Is there any chance the DME behavior is influenced by the rate of pedal movement, rather than just the position?
Maybe? I sampled a relatively quick throttle press at about 240ms, so having it hit 100% at 50% pedal travel would reduce that time to 120ms. I doubt that is enough of a difference to make the DME suddenly snap the throttle open like the demo.

Musical instrument accessory Font Building Event Rectangle

Also, there is more to pressing the pedal in these cars than just how quickly the throttle body opens. I haven't measured it, but it seems likely that variocam adjustment on the intake cams plays a part in how the DME responds to pedal inputs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I found a thread on Rennlist where someone was fully confident a device like this couldn't do anything, until someone else shared that video :) It does make you pause.

Is the blue curve the output of the pedal position sensor? That curve is very non-linear, with a "dead zone" at both ends. But I'm guessing it's impossible to tell if that non-linearity is from your foot movement, or because the sensor's output is non-linear. You'd probably have to take the throttle out, then use something mechanical to position it at various positions, and see if the output voltage matched that or not. Not worth the effort :)

Then, this is just the voltage into the DME. What if the DME is not just looking at how far the pedal is pressed, but also how quickly the pedal got to that point? Then it's plausible that making it think you pressed the pedal faster, could make it open the throttle faster?

I'm speculating a lot here. Until someone actually sees the throttle on our car do that slow opening thing even when the throttle pedal is instantly (in human terms) floored, we don't really know what is going on.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Is the blue curve the output of the pedal position sensor?
Yes, and the green curve is the throttle blade position. Don't read too much into this here, it's not a Porsche, I picked this example to show how quickly someone typically pushes the pedal.

What if the DME is not just looking at how far the pedal is pressed, but also how quickly the pedal got to that point?
What if the DME holds the throttle blade at 100% and uses ignition timing and variocam advance to change torque output? Modern engines are complex in function and there is plenty to speculate about.

As I have said previously, these things work, you install it, set it to race, the car feels more powerful/responsive. It's a lot simpler than forum discussions make it out to be.

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
658 Posts
Final judgement will always be the end user if there is really a noticeable difference between being ON and OFF. Would like to hear more from them. These kind of products have been around for many years now applied in many car makes and it seems that it has more positive reviews and have stayed on the market. Reviews from Porsche owners with the Sports mode function, please chime in.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Final judgement will always be the end user if there is really a noticeable difference between being ON and OFF. Would like to hear more from them. These kind of products have been around for many years now applied in many car makes and it seems that it has more positive reviews and have stayed on the market. Reviews from Porsche owners with the Sports mode function, please chime in.

I don't want to sound too snarky? , but don't believe anyone who posts and renders an opinion and does not have a Sprint Booster or other versions. You can speculate all you want with grand theories but they aren't worth poop unless you have actual experience. I've been using these devices for over 10 years (Sprint Booster on the Cayman and Remus version on the GTI) and they absolutely make a difference. The cars simply feel more responsive and and it is the feel that these cars are all about.

So there! :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can speculate all you want with grand theories but they aren't worth poop unless you have actual experience.
Sure. At the same time, I have experienced many effects where I was convinced I was seeing / hearing / feeling something, but then it became a lot harder to tell when I tried a blind test. We humans are well known for being biased and unreliable in our perception and memory :) Like you said, what matters is how it feels to you / what makes you happy. Trying to understand how something works makes me happy :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sure. At the same time, I have experienced many effects where I was convinced I was seeing / hearing / feeling something, but then it became a lot harder to tell when I tried a blind test. We humans are well known for being biased and unreliable in our perception and memory :) Like you said, what matters is how it feels to you / what makes you happy. Trying to understand how something works makes me happy :)
I agree. Most people say there’s a huge difference in torque with a Borla exhaust, and it feels exactly the same to me. Although sounds much better. I try to have an unbiased outlook, and will see if the sprint booster makes a difference. Plus I’ll let my gf drive it, and not tell her when it’s on or off, and not even tell her I installed it. That’ll be a true blind test.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Plus I’ll let my gf drive it, and not tell her when it’s on or off, and not even tell her I installed it. That’ll be a true blind test.
Now I'm nitpicking, but that won't really answer my question. I don't think anyone disputes that the device changes the throttle map. If you press the pedal down to the same amount, it is guaranteed that having this on will send more signal to the ECU, so the car will accelerate faster. So yes, this is a blind test, and it will prove that the car feels different when this is on.

But that's not the question, at least, not to me. My question is, does the SB do anything that can't be done by pressing the throttle harder / faster. And I'm not sure how you'd set up a blind test to answer that. If your question is "does it make any difference to the feel of the car", I'm pretty sure it does, based on everyone's experiences.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts