Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
To answer the OP's question, Sprintbooster does not have a separate part or program depending on base/s/GTS or manual/PDK. They all use the same part number SBPO0013S. On prior versions with less adjustability, they offered different parts depending on manual or auto with different adjustment sensitivity.

The question of whether these do anything more than pressing the throttle harder/faster is as old as the sprintbooster is. It's purely academic and tired, IMHO. They have a 30 day money back policy if you don't like it or are not convinced even after trying it. Not speaking to anyone in particular, but on this product many people who have never tried it will doubt and question every little thing without ever trying it, and even flat out refuse to try it because they think they have all the electrical/technical side figured out by focusing singularly on this pressing the throttle harder/faster angle. Once you try it, the improvements in part throttle response, minute throttle control, transmission behavior (for autos), and ease of throttle blipping/rev-matching will be instantly apparent. It's like having an employee you constantly have to push and prod to get things done vs the employee who is eager and hops to it, sometimes without even being asked. At the end of the day, both will probably get the job done if required, but you'll want to fire the lazy *** one. That the ECU will see the same exact voltage if you just press the throttle down harder/faster to a certain point to match what it would be with the sprintbooster is completely missing the point and grossly overestimating how much control you have with your right foot.

BTW, with most ECU tunes out there for NA engines, if you gain say around 7-10hp tops and only at WOT and maybe a tenth or two if anything at all, the improvements you feel driving around day to day are largely from improvements to throttle mapping, and little more. At part throttle you might have a few more horses here and there that even the most well calibrated butts aren't going to feel. Yet, I don't see anyone questioning the improvements to drivability out of these tunes using the press the throttle harder/faster line.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Maybe that's not what "y'all" are intending to say. The question was asked if this does anything more than pressing the throttle faster/harder. Your hypothetical statement doesn't answer that at all. Doesn't state what the product does, just that one likes it. Weird.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I guess for me it's mostly curiosity. "No, it doesn't do anything different than pressing the pedal faster, but it's impossible to get that level of control with your foot" is a different explanation from "yes, it does more than that, and here's how". Even if the end result is the same, which is that the car drives better, in ways that can't be accomplished just by pressing the pedal harder.

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
652 Posts
We can wonder why the car manufacturers did not fully optimize to more aggressive throttle response but I'd guess to chase better gas mileage and factor safety. Spent some time in other forums I have membership (BMW & Mini) & internet and positive reviews overwhelm the negative. $300 is not cheap but the 30 days return policy if not satisfied makes it worth a try for the little time and effort to install and return to stock.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We can wonder why the car manufacturers did not fully optimize to more aggressive throttle response but I'd guess to chase better gas mileage and factor safety. Spent some time in other forums I have membership (BMW & Mini) & internet and positive reviews overwhelm the negative. $300 is not cheap but the 30 days return policy if not satisfied makes it worth a try for the little time and effort to install and return to stock.
In my experience, the 981 has needed it the least out of the near dozen or so cars I've used these on of different manufacturers and models. With the 981 it's more about fine tuning, which means at least for me, the useful range of these devices is smaller vs other cars where I've had to turn up these devices to get the kind of response I want. It's particularly useful if you would prefer throttle response somewhere in between normal and sport mode throttle response.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not a gearhead but installed a SB on my 2011 Cayman Base PDK and it was like night and day. So much so that I was burning rubber in Race mode 6 and took it down to Sport 8.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I’m going to buy a used sprint booster v3 for my 981 Boxster base with PDK.

Does it matter if it’s coming from a manual or PDK? Also does it matter if it was a base, S, GTS?
Here is the demo you are referring to. You cannot replicate what the SB does by just pressing the pedal faster/harder as many seem to think

Race mode in city/commuter traffic is dangerous.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Update: installed the sprint booster v3 today. That was a pain in the *** to get the OEM clip out.
It really is night and day between normal (off), green (street), and red (race). The lag is noticeable between normal and the other 2 modes. I got it for $150 on eBay, it was worth every penny. For $329 though… I’m not quite sure. It definitely makes the car more fun and responsive.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Completely agree on SB -- I don't have one in my Porsche (it's an S/PDK and honestly, it really doesn't need it), but it saved me from selling my Mercedes GLA. The GLA is a nice, small crossover with sporting pretensions, but the "sport" mode is kind of a joke. It tunes the throttle response, but not nearly enough for my tastes. I was ready to sell the car, but decided instead to try a SB. It fixed everything. The car is much more responsive and fun to drive. You are correct about the response on green v red, there are times when it's simply too responsive (like driving in the snow) and you need to crank it down.

To all who have not tried it, it's certainly worth it if you're looking for more responsive throttle control. It's basically like the difference between normal and "sports mode" driving. In driving my buddy's 981 with Sports-Plus, the red range is like that, but with a finer degree of control (Yes, I know sports and sports plus do a lot of other things, simply talking about throttle control here).

I can imagine that in a base 981 there would be significant value to a SB for daily driving. In an S... even in green modes in SPORTS it may make the car too twitchy for normal driving, but there may be track uses and you can always turn it off. (There are a number of comments in other threads about this).

I agree with what everyone else has said -- if you haven't tried it, and think you can simply mash the throttle faster, you really don't know what you're talking about - it's subtle but it works. You may want to check this out this youtube showing that in an N52 BMW SB can make a car faster. (avg over 5 runs -- 7.8 secs w/o, 7.292 with, an improvement of 7%... granted that's not a lot, but it is discernable)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Completely agree on SB -- I don't have one in my Porsche (it's an S/PDK and honestly, it really doesn't need it), but it saved me from selling my Mercedes GLA. The GLA is a nice, small crossover with sporting pretensions, but the "sport" mode is kind of a joke. It tunes the throttle response, but not nearly enough for my tastes. I was ready to sell the car, but decided instead to try a SB. It fixed everything. The car is much more responsive and fun to drive. You are correct about the response on green v red, there are times when it's simply too responsive (like driving in the snow) and you need to crank it down.

To all who have not tried it, it's certainly worth it if you're looking for more responsive throttle control. It's basically like the difference between normal and "sports mode" driving. In driving my buddy's 981 with Sports-Plus, the red range is like that, but with a finer degree of control (Yes, I know sports and sports plus do a lot of other things, simply talking about throttle control here).

I can imagine that in a base 981 there would be significant value to a SB for daily driving. In an S... even in green modes in SPORTS it may make the car too twitchy for normal driving, but there may be track uses and you can always turn it off. (There are a number of comments in other threads about this).

I agree with what everyone else has said -- if you haven't tried it, and think you can simply mash the throttle faster, you really don't know what you're talking about - it's subtle but it works. You may want to check this out this youtube showing that in an N52 BMW SB can make a car faster. (avg over 5 runs -- 7.8 secs w/o, 7.292 with, an improvement of 7%... granted that's not a lot, but it is discernable)

agree on all counts. I was actually thinking of getting a GLA 45 amg before I got this 981. Coming from a wrx before, I felt like the 45 amg would have been a true “update” to the WRX STI since they don’t make wagons anymore.

·
Registered
766 Posts
agree on all counts. I was actually thinking of getting a GLA 45 amg before I got this 981. Coming from a wrx before, I felt like the 45 amg would have been a true “update” to the WRX STI since they don’t make wagons anymore.
Yes, completely agree, but good luck finding a 45! Since this was a "second car" for me and I already had a 981s, I went the "conservative" route and got a GLA250. I did manage to find one with a lot of the "Black edition" doo-dads, and AMG badging so it is pretty :)
I would have LOVED a 45, but even if you could find them at the time they were almost twice the cost.
It's done a great job as a "second car", especially with the SB!
I gotta say I am not impressed with the H247's. Too big. Too floaty. They feel much more "SUV-like" than a "crossover".
(Sorry, I know we're getting OT)
Wheel Car Tire Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just to push the OT envelope a wee bit, but does the GLA handle differently from the GLB? I had a GLB250 as a loaner and thought for what it is it handled quite well. Hated almost everything else about it though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Just to push the OT envelope a wee bit, but does the GLA handle differently from the GLB? I had a GLB250 as a loaner and thought for what it is it handled quite well. Hated almost everything else about it though.
not sure about the GLA 250, but the 45 amg, is lowered and has stock suspension from the factory. I would imagine if you’ve ever driven a Subaru wrx sti, they would feel similar. It really is like an upgraded/updated STI. Not to mention 375 hp from a 2.0 L 4 cylinder, with the tune it would be 415 hp. Don’t quote me but I think it was the highest powered 2.0 L 4 cylinder ever produced.

·
Registered
766 Posts
The GLA 250 has it heads and tails above the GLB (I too had one of those as a loaner). It's a more sporting ride, better handling. The GLA250/185 (2013-2019) is significantly smaller inside and outside. Way more fun! The 2020 GLA (H247) took the car in the wrong direction for anyone looking for a sporting crossover.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts