Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Since picking up the car I have been frustrated with the somewhat boring ‘non leather’ door card of my 2.7 981C. My car does not have the extended leather package and so the entire door card is one single, stamped piece of vinyl with no leather arm rest or silver trim (or any trim for that matter) just the “outline” of a trim piece. After learning that the trim is not available as a standalone option, I was really disappointed with the realization that there wasn’t much to be done short of picking up an entirely new door card. The only aftermarket option is some carbon fiber pieces but they seem to draw mixed reviews on their fit and finish and would then require swapping out the rest of the trim to match, quickly adding up to thousands of dollars.

After upgrading my lower dash, steering wheel, center arm rest, and center console side panels to Alcantara and seeing how easily the door card removal is, I decided to take it off and see what could be done. Specifically what could be wrapped in Alcantara to go along with my other pieces.

After inspecting the innards of the card I felt I could wrap the metal door handle area (both the small inner piece and surrounding area) and the door pull. The small piece inside of the metal door handle is very easy to remove and wrap. The surrounding piece around the metal handle is fairly straight forward to wrap but the piece is attached via plastic rivet like heat welds to the inside of the card. It is removed easily enough with a Dremel and reattached with some plastic friendly epoxy after wrapping. The door pull unscrews but is a much more challenging piece to wrap given its shape. The little 4/5” top cover thingy of the door pull just pops off with a pry tool and, of course, can be removed without removing the door card. I wrapped them separately and then rejoined them before installing the complete door pull.

Overall I am fairly satisfied with the results. While subtle, the difference is noticeable in the right light and does add a bit of diversity to the sea of vinyl of the stock card. And, best of all, the Alcantara handle feels very luxurious to the touch.

Next up is the a-pillars and perhaps the headliner if I can find out how to remove it. Anyone know of any DIYs to remove the pillars and/or headliner?

Thanks for looking

Black Wall Rectangle Room

Electronics Electronic device Technology

Table Floor Concrete

Bumper Automotive exterior

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

Auto part

·
Vendor
6,499 Posts
Nice work! I'm an alcantara fan, and I think it looks super on the cars interior/dashes and headliners! I'd do the dash in my Boxster and all other cars, if it wasn't so complicated to remove...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nice job. I'm going to look into this.

I agree...the standard door panels leave more to be desired (Porsche says, 'Mu HA HA HA haha you didn't click that option, <wink>').
At some point you'd think certain things should be standard. I was baffled when I found out the S models don't even come with lights in the visors. :crazy:

They already have the blanks in there...would it have been that much more to add a couple lights? I don't even know what option includes those lights...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts