Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
P9 Brethren, I can really use for some feedback.

I am having a lot of difficulty deciding on an audio system for my Spyder order. I LOVE music. I am also keenly aware of the debate between high end audio and a roaring PSE Boxster. That being said, I still debate between the different available systems. I am also planning to be buried in this car.

Choices and thoughts:

1. Base CDR with Bose speakers - Porsche driving purity option
Basic system (not CDR+) but with more power and sound via the Bose amp/speakers. Is this configuration possible as it is allowed on the configurator? Basically just buy to check the audio box. Also, I hate satellite radio and can live without the HD tuner. Economical. Will use external Nav. No care about system obsolescence when newer technology comes out some day. Anybody know if the screen is low resolution compared to the other options?

2. PCM Bose - Do I need PCM option
The only differentiator that I debate from option #1 is PCM. Other than Nav, am I losing any other electronic functionality related to the car itself (e.g. System monitoring, configuration ability, etc)? Is the screen higher resolution than base CDR?

3. Burmester - The audio option
Stop agonizing, splurge for it and never debate this again. Uber power and sound that blows Bose away (not a debate IMHO). I had it on my GTS and really liked it. I listen to it in and out of the car. Never debate a stereo upgrade again. But the cost is a stretch and kinda goes against the idea of a minimalistic pure performance Spyder concept. It ain't a luxury sedan!

Thanks in advance for the comments!

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
I think you've already answered your own question. You love music and had and liked Burmester. Maybe not a luxury sedan but doing a Spyder and not wanting to turn on the radio doesn't make sense to me. Burmester won't add much if any weight. It sounds like this is something you're going to live with for a while. The Burmester will still be there while the extra $3k (?) is just a fading memory.

I've never heard Bose in an open car nor anything later than 2012 but found it to be underwhelming at best. Saying that it sounded better than the other options in 2008 is faint praise. Bose keeps their name primarily with marketing. Burmester lives in the high end world where marketing won't get you further than a listening test. You've already heard the difference. Enough said.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have two cents! I had a 2011 Boxster Spyder with a base stereo/speakers. So bad that I never ever turned it on! I also had a 2014 Cayman S with PCM/Bose. Very nice in my opinion, Bose sounds just fine to me! I like Porsche's Bose in all of my last many Porsches, most recently in my 2010 cars on. I now have a Boxster GTS with CDR+/Bose and I am going that route with the Boxster Spyder as well. I used an external Garmin Nuvi on my road trip to CA and was happy! The reason I go for CDR+ is I like to Bluetooth stream my music from Iheart. No BT streaming with Base CDR. I have really like the HD Tuner as it certainly increases the quality of radio if you listen to it.(I have one channel!!). I have to tell you that with the PSE, I only turn on the radio when I going some distance, otherwise it is PSE all the way.

Something you should consider with the Spyder is you need at least Bose IMHO. The Spyder roof as you know has no insulation, this means that it is loud with the top up! When I say loud, I mean louder than with the roof down. With the roof down you get some wind noise to help cancel out the traffic noise, but with the roof up the wind noise drops and all you hear is louder traffic. I my old Spyder it was somewhat painful driving through the city with semi-trucks. (This is almost one reason I didn't go with new Spyder).

So, I would recommend Bose at least for the reasons above especially in a convertible and with this Spyder Top having the insulation qualities of rice paper!

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
P9 Brethren, I can really use for some feedback.

I am having a lot of difficulty deciding on an audio system for my Spyder order. I LOVE music. I am also keenly aware of the debate between high end audio and a roaring PSE Boxster. That being said, I still debate between the different available systems. I am also planning to be buried in this car.

Choices and thoughts:

1. Base CDR with Bose speakers - Porsche driving purity option
Basic system (not CDR+) but with more power and sound via the Bose amp/speakers. Is this configuration possible as it is allowed on the configurator? Basically just buy to check the audio box. Also, I hate satellite radio and can live without the HD tuner. Economical. Will use external Nav. No care about system obsolescence when newer technology comes out some day. Anybody know if the screen is low resolution compared to the other options?

2. PCM Bose - Do I need PCM option
The only differentiator that I debate from option #1 is PCM. Other than Nav, am I losing any other electronic functionality related to the car itself (e.g. System monitoring, configuration ability, etc)? Is the screen higher resolution than base CDR?

3. Burmester - The audio option
Stop agonizing, splurge for it and never debate this again. Uber power and sound that blows Bose away (not a debate IMHO). I had it on my GTS and really liked it. I listen to it in and out of the car. Never debate a stereo upgrade again. But the cost is a stretch and kinda goes against the idea of a minimalistic pure performance Spyder concept. It ain't a luxury sedan!

Thanks in advance for the comments!
If you keeping the car for a long time and love music - option 4 is to go with basic, and do real hi-end aftermarket install for half of burmeister cost. A couple people here who claimed to know about audio, mentioned that off the line burmeister is not much more than just a pretty label with budget interiernal parts, as it's not possible to do anything great on a stock car at budget Porsche gives to audio company (and it's NOT the 7000 you pay:)).

But honestly, will you be able to feel any

1 - 4 of 4 Posts