Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Think I’m going to spec a rear badge delete for my 2020 Spyder.
Porsche should have rebadged the Spyder & GT4 with entirely new model numbers.
I expect I’m about to ruffle some feathers, but these cars with 4.0L NA engine + GT3 derived brakes and suspension are about as comparable to the current gen 718’s as apples are to orangutans.
Not to mention the now nonsensical tie in to the vintage 4 cylinder heritage of the badge.
Would rather not have to explain at every gas station stop that “no, I didn’t spend $120k on a 4 cylinder car” (especially when most anything else at this price range is a V8 with at least 200 more HP)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I expect I’m about to ruffle some feathers, but these cars with 4.0L NA engine + GT3 derived brakes and suspension are about as comparable to the current gen 718’s as apples are to orangutans.
Not to mention the now nonsensical tie in to the vintage 4 cylinder heritage of the badge.
Would rather not have to explain at every gas station stop that “no, I didn’t spend $120k on a 4 cylinder car” (especially when most anything else at this price range is a V8 with at least 200 more HP)
Counterpoint: Anyone that would know that 718 was a 4 cylinder car (ie a car enthusiast) is also highly likely to know what they are looking at when they see a GT4 or Spyder (ie something special).

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
In many stops at gas stations, I have never been asked that question. Most people just see the Porsche badge and any real enthusiast would know the difference between the cars. BTW, I think most 718's go out the door at much less than $120K.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Most people I encounter gas stations or anywhere else have no clue what car they are looking at much less what engine comes in it. Most times they ask if its a Ferrari or something else not even close. As stated, anyone who knows Porsche cars will already know what they are looking at and dont need a badge to tell them, hence why there are no badges on the back of my CS either. Its also easier to wax without them in the way:)

·
Registered
349 Posts
BTW, I think most 718's go out the door at much less than $120K.
He's saying his 718 Spyder spec is $120K, and it has an NA flat six. Lamenting it doesn't have some sort of badging to differentiate it from the 718 4 cylinder cars.

I never would have thought about it, but I get what he is saying. The GT3s, for example, have 3.8 or 4.0 on the side of the wings to differentiate them from the standard cars.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
He's saying his 718 Spyder spec is $120K, and it has an NA flat six. Lamenting it doesn't have some sort of badging to differentiate it from the 718 4 cylinder cars.

I never would have thought about it, but I get what he is saying. The GT3s, for example, have 3.8 or 4.0 on the side of the wings to differentiate them from the standard cars.
Ah, I get it but, unless you’re buying it to impress people, who cares. It’s about the driving experience. The uninitiated won’t care and the enthusiasts will know the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
...same argument as comparing the GT3 to a Base Carrera. Are you really going to delete the GT3 designation because you think it is so superior to the base 911 that you don't want to be associated with it because you have a NA F6?

This whole thought process wreaks of insecurity. After all....the 190k GT3 is just a base 911 with a wing......Every average person at a gas station knows that. lol

No offense. Just saying.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Pretty sure the Spyder looks different from the standard 718 and it will say Spyder on the decklid. However, I agree that it doesn't need to say 718 on the back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Pretty sure the Spyder looks different from the standard 718 and it will say Spyder on the decklid. However, I agree that it doesn't need to say 718 on the back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Actually it also says Spyder on the rear bumper cover, and there 'is' a delete for that branding, I suppose that you could peal the ones of the side near the roof sails too...

·
Registered
370 Posts
I put a reservation deposit on a Spyder yesterday here in Canada. It doesn't mean anything as I won't find out until next month if I will be a chosen one. The dealership will decide who will be blessed with this car. If I don't get one I'll continue to enjoy my GT4 for years to come.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
I put a reservation deposit on a Spyder yesterday here in Canada. It doesn't mean anything as I won't find out until next month if I will be a chosen one. The dealership will decide who will be blessed with this car. If I don't get one I'll continue to enjoy my GT4 for years to come.
Interesting change of models, curious as to why you are heading to the cabriolet camp, generally GT4 guys are seeking a different experience them the Spyder group?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Interesting change of models, curious as to why you are heading to the cabriolet camp, generally GT4 guys are seeking a different experience them the Spyder group?
Good question, we had an 09 Boxster S which we loved. I traded it in for the GT4. We really miss a convertible. I don't track my GT4. We looked at a low mileage 718 Boxster S which isn't too far off the price of the Spyder. Its time for a change so Spyder it is.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Good question, we had an 09 Boxster S which we loved. I traded it in for the GT4. We really miss a convertible. I don't track my GT4. We looked at a low mileage 718 Boxster S which isn't too far off the price of the Spyder. Its time for a change so Spyder it is.
I understand...

As much as I love the track experiences I have had, unless one goes every month or more they are but a side note in my driving experiences, add to that tracking a car is expensive, not only for the consumables or breakage but also the entry fee's. If I wanted to spend more time on the track a spec Boxster or the like would be my choice, less expensive to outfit and does not subject the DD to unnecessary wear and tear. I will take the Spyder out on the track once or twice to explore it's limits but that is all.

My current GTS is wonderful on the road, I get to share the experiences with my wife, go on PCA and club drives to all sorts of locations and take those sights and sounds in a convertible. The chance to get a real special Porsche mid-engine that gives more of that GT feel is something is something that I want to do, the 718 Spyder is coming along at a perfect time for me. :)

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Here is what you have to look forward to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHb3-aNuZzQ

·
Registered
370 Posts
Westcoaster I have no real interest in tracking any of my cars. I live fairly close to a track. I wouldn't be covered if I damaged my car at a track as there is an exclusion for that. Anyway I'd like to get the new Spyder however there are a few things that rub me the wrong way. 1. manual folding roof, plastic rear window and of course the price. This cars do retain their value so I'd have no problem unloading my 16 GT4. Take care.

·
Registered
370 Posts
My 2020 Spyder has been ordered. I expect to get the car late May early June. My plans were to do a European delivery however with the pandemic I'm going to pass on that unless there is a drastic change. I have 2 weeks prior to cancel if I choose to do that. I was really looking forward to driving on the Autobahn. Oh well, what can you do?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My 2020 Spyder has been ordered. I expect to get the car late May early June. My plans were to do a European delivery however with the pandemic I'm going to pass on that unless there is a drastic change. I have 2 weeks prior to cancel if I choose to do that. I was really looking forward to driving on the Autobahn. Oh well, what can you do?
Congratulations on your Spyder.

I am very closely involved with EU-USA travel and I can tell you that NOBODY has any clue when that will open. Not German Government, not Canada Government, not WHO, everybody is totally clueless. I have estimates ranging from mid-June all the way to January 2021 for opening the travel across Atlantic. I have 3 projects waiting to be finalized for more than a month now and I need Italian crews to finish them. Not a pretty situation, but that's what earns my paycheck. If computer could do it, I would be jobless :)

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
By these dates I would expect that you ordered it some time ago? You do know that there are currently no ED's happening during the early-mid summer time frames... Curious where you are at, PM if you prefer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts