Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well it took longer than I would have liked to get the Spyder on track (11 days after delivery), but better late than never right? :D

My previous time on this track in the GT3RS was 2:40, the Spyder's best time a bit over 2:42 (consistently), and let me assure you the Spyder was held back by the Pirelli PZeros which, while not horrible, did commit "suicide by slip angle" and gave their lives for the cause..

Given some decent tires this little rascal would easily match the RS's time in my hands. In a "real" drivers hands I think the Spyder would be only about 4 secs slower than a new RS.

I was running mid-pack red (fastest) group and most all of them were running r or near r compound tires.

That is pretty friggen wild!

The host of this event allows passengers in the cars so my wife was able to ride along several times which she enjoys.

This car is a joy to drive and road manners are superb. Not the pure track tool that the RS is however for someone that is not a a fully committed track-crack addict as I am would be better served with a Spyder than GT3.

Let there be no mistake- PDK in Sport Plus is AWESOME for track work. I never once even thought about a 6 speed tranny. And with the 7th gear, MPG was off the hook on the highway: 30-32 at 75 MPH! Fock!

The Sport Exhaust option as well is incredible and as delicious at GT3 exhaust sound. Both are fully recommended.

Trying out my new SmartyCam and the sound quality is for ****, sorry about that.

Few pics and a couple videos.

YouTube - chasefun.avi

YouTube - Spyder Spring Mountain.avi

·
Registered
216 Posts
Very impressive that the Spyder on street tires did so well on what seems to be a relatively fast track compared to the RS on, what, Sport Cups?

I am surprised by that tire wear, though. What pressures were you running, and about how many laps/miles for the pictured tires? I had a dedicated track set for my 997, but being lighter, better balanced, and with better suspension, I thought wear would be less with the Spyder, and I might be able to get away with using my street tires for track days.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Savyboy:

Contrats on an incredible addition to the stable. Sorry to hear about the tires. I had decent luck with my RE050's (assuming that's what came on the Spyder) on the track. I did get a fair amount of edgewear due to lack of camber that that was easily fixed with a set of GT3 lower control arms. Given my experience with the Cayman S, I can say you will be simply amazed with a LCA's, an aligment, pads and R comps. They transformed the car.

What are you planning in the way of mods?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing - really like the data overlays on your video . . .

Did you leave the PDK in Drive or Manual?
I installed the Smartycam ECU bridge which pulls info via the OBDII port. Learning curve getting it all to work properly as my first time using this tool.

Sport Plus mode- shifts more accurately than any human ever could. Seamless power delivery. Mid apex shift? No problem! Truly amazing technology and hands-down the best "automatic" transmission (it is really a manual as you all know) of any car in the world.

I only ordered the paddle shift steering wheel because, lets face it, it looks cool as hell. There is no real reason to use those paddles...

Very impressive that the Spyder on street tires did so well on what seems to be a relatively fast track compared to the RS on, what, Sport Cups?

I am surprised by that tire wear, though. What pressures were you running, and about how many laps/miles for the pictured tires? I had a dedicated track set for my 997, but being lighter, better balanced, and with better suspension, I thought wear would be less with the Spyder, and I might be able to get away with using my street tires for track days.
I had just put the Pirelli Corsa Systems on my RS before it's DE days (it had Cups OE which I wore out ;)). Those are fantastic tires. The Pirelli PZeros that came on the Spyder however are REALLY meant for street use or 8/10th's track driving.

Keep in mind, while my line may look smooth, I am at the limits (and beyond) of adhesion in the turns and under braking. I rarely get into ABS on my RS, I was in ABS a lot on the Spyder (the tires).

Pressures ranged hot from high of 40 PSI to low of 32 PSI as I experimented with pressures. The higher pressures resulted in greasy hot performance.

Pictured tires are after nine 20 minute sessions in 90 degree f ambient temps. Pics after a 400 miles drive home. They looked way worse at the track :taunt:. My RS tires NEVER looked this nasty.

I think it needs more rear bar to pull out some of the understeer.

Savyboy:

Contrats on an incredible addition to the stable. Sorry to hear about the tires. I had decent luck with my RE050's (assuming that's what came on the Spyder) on the track. I did get a fair amount of edgewear due to lack of camber that that was easily fixed with a set of GT3 lower control arms. Given my experience with the Cayman S, I can say you will be simply amazed with a LCA's, an alignment, pads and R comps. They transformed the car.

What are you planning in the way of mods?
Thanks! I had RE050's on my C4S and I chewed them up pretty well too. Great tire, but not a hard core track tire. The Spyder came with Pirelli PZero's. I read some folks are getting Goodyears too.

I do want to put the P50 Green Porsche Motorsport pads (PCCB specific) on this as well as some different bars too. Want Pirelli Trofeo's but can't find any? Camber should already be maxed out so I may need the split LCA as you mentioned. Given the different OE suspension set-up for Spyder, optimal camber is currently unknown, but I agree with you I think it may need more.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I installed the Smartycam ECU bridge which pulls info via the OBDII port. Learning curve getting it all to work properly as my first time using this tool.
Congrats on the new toys! Please keep us informed on how the PDK holds up under track use.

I just tried my SmartyCam with ECU bridge at Mid Ohio last week. What OBDII ECU map did you get to work? I couldn't get the AIM OBDII connector to access data from the Siemens ECU. I had to map it to "OBDII Beta" which limits the channels you can access.

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats on the new toys! Please keep us informed on how the PDK holds up under track use.

I just tried my SmartyCam with ECU bridge at Mid Ohio last week. What OBDII ECU map did you get to work? I couldn't get the AIM OBDII connector to access data from the Siemens ECU. I had to map it to "OBDII Beta" which limits the channels you can access.

Thanks!
Thanks!

Yup, I did as you did (beta map) to get access to the data stream. The Siemens option would not pull data. Race-Keeper is also a good video-data system and has other good features but inconvenient to move from car to car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW- Let me note as well when road driving, the smooth, seamless, turbine-like power delivery. As well the solidity of the entire powertrain. This platform is so refined.

The Porsche Sport Exhaust on the Spyder is otherworldly in its howl. Hugely addictive.

Porsche really has earned their high cost of admission. The engineering is simply superb across the Cayman/Boxster/911 offering.

What other car can you drive off the showroom, onto the track, thrash the living poop out of it and drive it home and never have to worry about anything breaking?

For those reading this thread that have never tracked, you simply MUST make a track day happen or better yet, attend a Porsche Sport Driving School. You own one of the very best drivers cars in the world and they thrive under track conditions.

·
Registered
212 Posts
savyboy,

great writeup!

Quick question: Where is the roll bar extension to allow min. 2" clearance from top of helmet? ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
savyboy,

great writeup!

Quick question: Where is the roll bar extension to allow min. 2" clearance from top of helmet? ;)
:rolleyes: Hmmmm

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not to sound naive, but is a track outing only 11 days after purchase a break-in issue?

To follow the book, I waited until 3000km to do my first track day.

Maybe I'm too gentle...:)
The only issue is that the track is the very best possible break-in ;)

The owners manual "suggested" break-in is more for the driver to acclimate to the vehicle than anything else.

Perfect break-in procedure:
1. Warm the engine to operating temperature.
2. Drive it like you stole it.

Just that simple really.

Unless you simply enjoy depriving yourself of the full driving experience a Porsche can offer? :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
gorgeous car, and great to see you're using it the right way. :)

that's really cool software you got there, i need to shop for something like that. awesome track too, some of my friends headin out there this weekend, but I'm not able to make it... hopefully this fall after the summer temps drop off a bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.