Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the car is new, and parts are not yet widely available. But I would like to hear your thoughts on installing Spyder parts on a Cayman. I am thinking:

• Side Air intake grilles
  • Door pulls

any other ideas?

Tomasz

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Well I was hoping you weren't asking about installing the top! :) I guess you could do the door pulls or the side vents and save maybe 3 or 4 oz. in weight. I actually don't like the spyder side grills as much as I like the Cayman ones on a styling basis but that's just me. Aren't the wheels lighter? That might be the best place to start...

·
Registered
565 Posts
From a weight standpoint, it would be cheaper and more effective to just diet a little to lighten up the driver. :)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You calling me fat? Fight, fight, fight! OK, ok... you are 100% correct. I could loose 15 lbs. at least!

This was more of an aesthetics driven desire. I like Ken's idea of wheels and I guess door pulls and seat belts should match in color.

·
Registered
565 Posts
You calling me fat? Fight, fight, fight! OK, ok... you are 100% correct. I could loose 15 lbs. at least!

This was more of an aesthetics driven desire. I like Ken's idea of wheels and I guess door pulls and seat belts should match in color.
Well, I wasn't gonna say anything 'cause I didn't wanna hurt your internet feelings, but do you look kinda internet fat. But to save a few ounces, you could just swallow some laxatives and take a big dump. LMAO!!

I like the look of the door pulls also. And I agree that they would need to match the seat belts.

:cheers:

·
Registered
975 Posts
Yeah when the new Spyder wheels were introduced they were advertised as the lightest 19" wheels Porsche makes, still haven't found any actual specs on them though.

Since they will come standard with OEM price inflation (guessing ballpark 3,500), it may be more cost effective to pick up a new set of aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
97 Posts
kinda off topic but do the spyder door pulls actually open the door from the inside? i was under the impression that spyder owners would have to open their window and release the door from the outside.

·
Registered
565 Posts
kinda off topic but do the spyder door pulls actually open the door from the inside? i was under the impression that spyder owners would have to open their window and release the door from the outside.
I saw a video of the Spyder, and the driver pulled on the door pull to open the door from the inside.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hahaha, that'd be a nightmare...so the tabs are essentially the same as in the new GT3RS (if you have seen that). If you haven't seen it, it's basically a fabric loop that come out of the door where the pulls normally would be and you pull it down to release the latch.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know that the car is new, and parts are not yet widely available. But I would like to hear your thoughts on installing Spyder parts on a Cayman. I am thinking:

• Side Air intake grilles
  • Door pulls

any other ideas?

Tomasz
I'm hoping to pick up the Spyder suspension for my Boxster...

·
Registered
38 Posts
What about the passanger & driver doors these are made from aluminium as opposed to the Cayman/Boxter steel ones. Saving would be at least 10 to 15 Ibs per door?

Don't know how expensive these would be though. Anyhow just a thought.:

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Personally, I would like to replace ALL my Cayman parts with ALL Spyder pieces (engine, body, chassis etc) but unfortunately that will be very expensive. :hilarious:

-Moto

·
Registered
61 Posts
I liked the Spyder's spoiler, once I saw it in person. I second the intrest in the suspension setup from the factory now that I have the performance improvement. Side vents were cool :) but not sure if I will change.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I liked the Spyder's spoiler, once I saw it in person. I second the intrest in the suspension setup from the factory now that I have the performance improvement. Side vents were cool :) but not sure if I will change.
Yeah, the spoiler is what I'm curious about. I like the look better than any of the aftermarket ones. Are the attachment points for a Boxster different than a Cayman?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts