Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to understand what some Spyder owners have already noted: The rear wing's "service" height (when pressing the button on the dash) only raises it about 1" (much shorter than standard Boxster), but at speed, it fully raises to the expected 4". So that implies that there are 3 positions in total (Closed, Intermediate, and Fully Raised). Here are examples of the 2 raised modes:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Convertible

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Performance car

But what are the operating ranges or speed thresholds for each mode? Does the Spyder wing raise to the intermediate height at at 75 MPH, then fully extend to the 4" height at even faster speeds?

What I didn't expect to learn (see this video) was once it deploys while driving, the rear wing seems to only vary between the 1" and 4" height (or is that only in a narrow speed range?). When does it go back to the fully lowered/closed position? Below 55 MPH? Or only at rest?

Race track Sport venue Yellow Vehicle Car

And why does the Spyder need an intermediate height when the regular Boxster gets away with just 2 modes?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I can't get your attachments to work to see what you are talking about.

I was only aware of a fully open or fully closed position but when operating the wing with the switch you could stop it at any height while closing it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
  • 0 to 74mph. Fully retracted. Lowers automatically when speeds drop to either below 55mph or 50mph.
  • 75 - 109mph. Position 1. Can be manually activated with the spoiler button.
  • 110+ mph. Position 2 (4" height).
You cannot manually trigger position 2 with the spoiler button, only position 1. You also cannot retract the spoiler at speeds above 110mph. The Spyder doesn't generate (or if so, very little) net downforce, but it is a zero lift car. This matters as its top speeds are... rather high. 180mph top-down on a level surface, 186mph top-up on a level service, and there is video evidence of unmodified ones hitting 189mph (and could probably hit 190mph) top up on a downhill grade (even if only 2 or 3 degrees).

Position 2 actually looks... really dumb. It's really hanging up in the air, far higher than the regular Cayman and Boxster spoilers. It also doesn't have beefy struts like a 911 Turbo does.

My long term plan is to eventually have the spoiler no longer raise, and instead create a proper rear diffuser for real downforce. However, it'll be a long time before I do that, since it's not a simple project and it's only to deal with an aesthetic quibble (spoiler looking dumb when activated). Not like the driver can actually see it behind them, but still. Or that may be my issue, since I'm a bit under 5-foot-9, which does make backing up fun, since you look back to have your view blocked by the streamliners.

Reactions: gearFX

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
  • 0 to 74mph. Fully retracted. Lowers automatically when speeds drop to either below 55mph or 50mph.
  • 75 - 109mph. Position 1. Can be manually activated with the spoiler button.
  • 110+ mph. Position 2 (4" height).
You cannot manually trigger position 2 with the spoiler button, only position 1. You also cannot retract the spoiler at speeds above 110mph. The Spyder doesn't generate (or if so, very little) net downforce, but it is a zero lift car. This matters as its top speeds are... rather high. 180mph top-down on a level surface, 186mph top-up on a level service, and there is video evidence of unmodified ones hitting 189mph (and could probably hit 190mph) top up on a downhill grade (even if only 2 or 3 degrees).

Position 2 actually looks... really dumb. It's really hanging up in the air, far higher than the regular Cayman and Boxster spoilers. It also doesn't have beefy struts like a 911 Turbo does.

My long term plan is to eventually have the spoiler no longer raise, and instead create a proper rear diffuser for real downforce. However, it'll be a long time before I do that, since it's not a simple project and it's only to deal with an aesthetic quibble (spoiler looking dumb when activated). Not like the driver can actually see it behind them, but still. Or that may be my issue, since I'm a bit under 5-foot-9, which does make backing up fun, since you look back to have your view blocked by the streamliners.
Thank you for sharing this information. I have never seen reference to the 110 MPH threshold before. Did this information come from the owner's manual or a press release?

Also, if some 981 owners who add fixed rear wings to their cars have to re-program (trick) their cars by selecting the GT4 mode (which has no movable wing) in their car's computer , then does it stand to reason that 981 owners (presumably 2016 model year only?) could re-program their cars to think they are Spyders for the purpose of using the intermediate and 110+ MPH modes?

As for the Spyder generating zero lift, didn't Auto Motor Und Sport (or maybe Sport Auto) measure the downforce on the 981 Spyder and found that it actually generated lift at 124 MPH (200 kph)?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Thank you for sharing this information. I have never seen reference to the 110 MPH threshold before. Did this information come from the owner's manual or a press release?

Also, if some 981 owners who add fixed rear wings to their cars have to re-program (trick) their cars by selecting the GT4 mode (which has no movable wing) in their car's computer , then does it stand to reason that 981 owners (presumably 2016 model year only?) could re-program their cars to think they are Spyders for the purpose of using the intermediate and 110+ MPH modes?

As for the Spyder generating zero lift, didn't Auto Motor Und Sport (or maybe Sport Auto) measure the downforce on the 981 Spyder and found that it actually generated lift at 124 MPH (200 kph)?
Wouldn't surprise me at all if the Spyder generates lift, considering what little it has to generate downforce since it's intended for being a backroad bomber. I don't speak German so I haven't gone through those articles. Regardless, that project is at least a decade out (it'll be considered prior to Engine Rebuild 1) for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.