Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my car for a few weeks, and had the rope down a few times (it's barely spring here). I just ran out to get some beer this afternoon and it was nice and sunny so I wanted the top down. Took me about 45 seconds to drop, enjoy my beer run and another 45 seconds to close it up. After a few practices I'm simply finding it no big deal. Not all will agree with me but that how I feel.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I agree it's not a big deal and would not keep me from ordering it although I won't pick up my Spyder till June 7. I would have to say just like the radio delete if the option to add back the automatic roof was available I would have added it back.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
I'll have to time myself next time.
We could start another thread on fastest and/or slowest top drop.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've put the top up and down 50 times minimum. It's livable but a needless pita. Just like the 1st and 2nd gear ratios. The car would snap your neck with 1st & 2nd gear ratios from the PDK and crack mid 3's on the 0 to 60.... Almost everyone would rather have the regular boxster's automatic top, 20-25 lbs be damned. Porsche built an incredible machine but fell short on gearing to protect the 911. It fell short on the top for some other ridiculous reason. I have my service advisor researching the gear swap. I would love to change the top, but clearly that's not happening...! Even with these quirks, I love this car!

·
Registered
414 Posts
the pita part is pulling the top closed while you engage the bottom. I have to pull hard hopefully it will loosen some over time

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
the pita part is pulling the top closed while you engage the bottom. I have to pull hard hopefully it will loosen some over time
Yeah that part is a tad bit more effort required but it has eased up a bit already. I have only put the roof down twice lol! I actually like opening and closing the roof...the process I mean. Somehow it's a bit soothing I don't know how to describe it. My wife just laughs at me. :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
When the top is up, do you have issues popping the back trunk? It seemed as if I had to unlock the top, unlatch the two button units and then pop the trunk.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I've had my car for a few weeks, and had the rope down a few times (it's barely spring here). I just ran out to get some beer this afternoon and it was nice and sunny so I wanted the top down. Took me about 45 seconds to drop, enjoy my beer run and another 45 seconds to close it up. After a few practices I'm simply finding it no big deal. Not all will agree with me but that how I feel.
45 sec in your garage is not a big deal. 45 sec in the rain while holding up traffic behind you will feel a little longer... :taunt:

·
Incurable Gearhead
904 Posts
Gotta say, not a convertible sort, save when it comes to Spyder. It'd probably be a good idea to hang onto one at this point, eh? Oh, Augie, that white thing in your sig slays me every time.
:cheers:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Not finding it a big deal either. Getting in to latch the top is the only pita.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It gets easier. It was hard the first few times but now I just give it a gentle tug and it hits the groove. Not sure it will ever just fit without holding but it definitely got easier for me.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
This thread amuses me. The premise is "The Spyder top is no big deal" yet most of the posts include "But... " and "except for... "

Those are all the things that make it a big deal. :D

The problem is that nothing of value has been gained from it. It's not significantly lighter. If they did away with the silly sail panels, wouldn't it be lighter still and not have all these issues?

·
Registered
117 Posts
This thread amuses me. The premise is "The Spyder top is no big deal" yet most of the posts include "But... " and "except for... "

Those are all the things that make it a big deal. :D

The problem is that nothing of value has been gained from it. It's not significantly lighter. If they did away with the silly sail panels, wouldn't it be lighter still and not have all these issues?
If you don't like the streamliners, you won't like the top. But just because other people do like them, and don't mind the issues with the top, means the top is not a big deal for them. We all make excuses for the things (and people) we love, right?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you don't like the streamliners, you won't like the top. But just because other people do like them, and don't mind the issues with the top, means the top is not a big deal for them. We all make excuses for the things (and people) we love, right?k
Exactly. Porsche had a design brief for the rear of the car that incorporates the distinctive streamliners, which flow continuously from the rear of the cabin to the spoiler. They could not use the existing Boxster convertible roof into that design. The only other thing they could have done is make an incredibly complex (and heavy) apparatus like the new Targa top. Not worth the weight, complexity, and cost. Love the looks of the car, and the top is a minor issue to me.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think the streamliners make the car, it looks fantastic. A normal Boxster with the roof down look ok.
sure I'd love an automatic roof, but not enough to give up the sexiest looking car!
I think I have the roof operation down now, mostly using the remote lock/unlock.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you don't like the streamliners, you won't like the top. But just because other people do like them, and don't mind the issues with the top, means the top is not a big deal for them. We all make excuses for the things (and people) we love, right?k
Exactly. Porsche had a design brief for the rear of the car that incorporates the distinctive streamliners, which flow continuously from the rear of the cabin to the spoiler. They could not use the existing Boxster convertible roof into that design. The only other thing they could have done is make an incredibly complex (and heavy) apparatus like the new Targa top. Not worth the weight, complexity, and cost. Love the looks of the car, and the top is a minor issue to me.
+1.
I think the point of the thread is that it's actually fairly easy to work the top. People on this forum were very verbal on how much they hated the top last year. A minor inconvenience for outstanding looks (and a 3.8 L engine!)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts