Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum and Caymans. I purchased a used 06 with a stage 2 installed and already looking for better ways to increase HP. I read every post on forum to increase my knowledge.

First off I wanted to say I do not do any track days, just spirited driving. I'm looking at options to increase the power and fun factor of the car.

First thing I did was replace the Greddy boost controller for the Innovative Motorsports combo boost controller and WB O2 sensor. I wanted to be able to get my AF ratios as I was playing around with the boost levels. So far I'm up to 7 psi at the peaks and still running high 10's and low 11's for AF.
I think there may be more room here with boost, wanted to check with others to see if there are more limitations besides the AF that I should be considering. Wanted to see if others have tried higher boost levels.

Second item is the turbocharger. I have no doubts that this one is just fine for 95% of the people out there. I'm one of those that really like to tweak out my car. I've read that some people have replaced the turbo with a Garrett equivalent that is true BB. I used the Garrett in the past on an RX7 with great success. The BB really spools up fast and I feel this may help on the Cayman as I don't start to build up boost till around 4k rpms.

Lastly, I'm already planning on going with catless headers and I'm sure that will help with the lag and pick up some HP, but wanted to see if anyone has gone with a larger throttle body and seen decent gains?

Also I'm 100% aware of the risk I am taking by pushing the car further. Thanks for any help and experience.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Have you dyno'ed your car? I have a stage 3 kit and have posted a few dyno runs here http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-boxster-chat/103935-06-cayman-s-stage-iii-tpc-turbo-kit.html . I have the same issue with the boost not not building until about 4k and would like to see more low end. I have been looking hard at a meth injection kit. TPC sells one however I've had nothing but trouble from them customer service wise so I wont spend any money with them until, and or unless they fix it. For now I'm going to concentrate on the oil issues, deep sump, accusump, AOS blah blah blah, then work on more power. My current thought is to pick up another motor and start building it properly so when this one blows I have one built and ready, maybe 3.6 or 3.8. I would be highly interested to see how a turbo swap works out, I would gladly give up a little top end for more bottom end.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not dyno'd yet. Just got done sorting out the boost controller. Whoever installed it did it wrong. The wastegate was connected on the bottom side to the outlet of the turbo and the top side to the manifold. This gave me very inconsistent boost and slow response. I tied both to the turbo outlet. Muchhhhh better response and very steady boost. Next change will be the BOV. I will tackle that next weekend. This should eliminate pressure surge and keep the turbo spinning faster between shifts.

I have a meth kit, not the one TPC sells, that I was considering installing. But looking at my intake temps I rarely get above 25 F over ambient. I don't think the kit will add much at this point. Maybe if I raise the boost it will help but I think I'm going to hold off for now.

What issues are you having with the oil system? Also any update on the lower than expected HP?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would like some input from other stage 2 owners. I have a 2006 Cayman S with the stage 2 kit which was installed by the dealer about one year ago. initially the turbo performed as advertised (my car is mostly a track car) but within a couple of months the turbo started leaking oil from the housing as well as the exhaust (literally dripping from the pipe). TPC did a rebuild of the turbo. When I got it back the amount of smoke coming from the car was insane so I had the dealer install a scavenger pump. This eliminated the smoke issue but there is still considerable amounts of oil leaking from the body of the turbo. TPC has agreed to send us a new turbo. I hope the combination of the new turbo with the scavenger pump will give me the results I expect from what is now a $20,000.00 investment.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you are replacing the turbo, I would consider the Comp turbo with ceramic bearings. No oil required so there is no scavenge pump which can make the turbo prone to leaks and blow through the seals. I have a Comp turbo which I will use if I turbo my 3.8 stroker motor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not sure if I can do a straight swap with another turbo without knowing the specs on the TPC turbo. I have a friend here in town who has had good luck with the scavenger/TPC turbo combination but if that fails I would definitely consider other options.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Trackman, what size and specs is the turbo? Based on the calcs I was looking at the GT4088R looked to be a good candidate.

Jorligan, I too am losing oil. But mine appears to be leaking back into the intake. I don't have any external oil, I just get a big cloud of white smoke after I do some heavy runs. This is after the car has sat a while. Typically don't get anything if I don't get into boost. I would suspect we may be seeing higher oil pressure than what the turbo is designed for. This ends up pushing it past the seals.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds like the correct symptom. Is the TPC turbo a journal bearing turbo? If it is a ball bearing, make sure that there is a restrictor. On a prior setup on my NSX, the scavenge pump would get hot and there would be decreased flow after a hard event like on the track. It was a tilton pump.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Trackman, what size and specs is the turbo? Based on the calcs I was looking at the GT4088R looked to be a good candidate.

Jorligan, I too am losing oil. But mine appears to be leaking back into the intake. I don't have any external oil, I just get a big cloud of white smoke after I do some heavy runs. This is after the car has sat a while. Typically don't get anything if I don't get into boost. I would suspect we may be seeing higher oil pressure than what the turbo is designed for. This ends up pushing it past the seals.
I have no idea what the specs are and TPC does not give that information out. The only markings on the unit are A/R 70 M24 and it's my understanding those are generic markings. I would have to take the unit apart and measure the intake and output turbines to get the specs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought you said you had a Comp turbo. Did you mean comparable?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Can you post pics and details of the scavenge pump? I had read that excessive idling will result in oil passing by the seals in the turbo (just a trade off vs. normal driving)

·
Registered
19 Posts
IMG_1765.jpg IMG_1834.jpg

I rarely idle the car. As soon as I come off the track and shut the engine off I can see that there have been large amounts of oil leaking from the intake seals during aggressive driving (see first image). There is no leaking during normal driving or idling at stop lights etc. We are thinking we might have to put a restrictor on the oil supply to decrease the pressure.

You can find the scavenger pump at RB racing model 03-1035 super pump. The installation is just behind the left rear wheel well (see second image).

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
View attachment 57508 View attachment 57506

I rarely idle the car. As soon as I come off the track and shut the engine off I can see that there have been large amounts of oil leaking from the intake seals during aggressive driving (see first image). There is no leaking during normal driving or idling at stop lights etc. We are thinking we might have to put a restrictor on the oil supply to decrease the pressure.

You can find the scavenger pump at RB racing model 03-1035 super pump. The installation is just behind the left rear wheel well (see second image).

Please call us at 410-799-7223 or email us at [email protected] and we are more than happy to help you resolve any issues that you are having.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Please call us at 410-799-7223 or email us at [email protected] and we are more than happy to help you resolve any issues that you are having.
Thanks Harris. My installer has been working with TPC. It is my understanding that you will be sending us a new turbo to replace the old rebuilt unit. I have had some trepidation about swapping the rebuilt for a new one because my installer was told that TPC uses stronger parts when they do the rebuild but I have no choice as you can see from the pictures. Let's hope the combination of the scavenger pump and the new turbo does the trick. I believe the kit overall is a great design. Clearly the challenges are getting the input and output oil pressure just right for each installation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok I just came across a post where Tom from TPC does not recommend using a scavenger pump to solve the oil leak because under heavy acceleration it could or would starve the built-in engine oil pump. Now what? Without the scavenger pump I can't even drive the car because the oil leak and resulting smoke is insane. I don't want to damage the engine so it looks like no tracking the car till this is resolved. If anyone out there has experience with this kit with a scavenger pump installed, I would appreciate their input. This is really getting frustrating. Should TPC be using a different turbo (ceramic bearing) that does not require oil which appears to be the down fall of this application based on all the posts regarding oil leaks and smoke.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Should TPC be using a different turbo (ceramic bearing) that does not require oil which appears to be the down fall of this application based on all the posts regarding oil leaks and smoke.
FWIW, my car has over 20,000 miles on the original TPC installation and no oil leaks or smoke. However, I run modest boost (~ 4 psi) trading higher power/torque for increased engine and component longevity.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the 3.4L engine. It appears from your gallery pictures that you have a much older kit. I am also only running 4 psi. I am not sure what the differences between the 3.4 and 3.8 engine are but that could be the difference. Are you running with a scavenger pump?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very nice power!!! Any other mods besides the turbo kit? How much boost are you running?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts