Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
The turbo kit is the only performance mod. The kit 2 has a fixed boost of 4psi. TPC has done a great job engineering this setup. Getting the oiling issues resolve can be a bit frustrating and expensive but if you want a true 911 killer for a significantly lower investment then this is the way to go. To date my total investment has been $35,000.00 for the 2006 Cayman S with 22,000 miles and another $20,000.00 for the kit, installation and trouble shooting of the oiling issues.

Here are some links you might find interesting TPC Racing ATP:2 turbo kit DIY Install - Teamspeed.com
Porsche Cayman S TURBO – BR Racing Blog

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yeah I already have the stage 2 installed on my car. I'm running slightly more boost but have not dyno'd the car yet.

Can you go into detail on the oil fixes and issues?

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
I have the 3.4L engine. It appears from your gallery pictures that you have a much older kit. I am also only running 4 psi. I am not sure what the differences between the 3.4 and 3.8 engine are but that could be the difference. Are you running with a scavenger pump?
LOL - since my TPC conversion was done to a brand new 2006 CS, it is probably among the oldest systems. No scavenger pump. Apart from cylinder capacity, the primary engine differences would be from the X51 package: 82mm throttle body, "flow optimized" intake/exhaust ports and larger valves with stronger springs, hotter cams and increased rev limit. My intake is an unimpeded free flow filter. The exhaust is through Fabspeed long tube headers into the TPC setup. None of that would seem to prevent the oil leaks you are experiencing. However, as mentioned below, I haven't explored the AOS so there may be relevant differences there.

Dan does your X51 3.8L have the dual AOS setup that the stock X51 has? Any pics?
Short answer is I don't know. AFAIK, the engine was a new, crate 997S 3.8L X51 installed in a "from the showroom floor" 2006 CS. Thereafter, the TPC turbo was installed. This was one of the first 3.8L CS conversions, as well as an early TPC CS turbo. I had no part in either and details are long gone. I don't believe there were any changes to the top of the 3.8. I've only had the engine cover off a few times for curiosity and routine inspection/maintenance. FWIW, attached are some additional photos.

Engine Top 1.JPG Engine Top 2.JPG Engine Top 3.JPG Engine Top 6.JPG Engine Top 5.JPG

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well we increased the oil sump capacity and installed baffles when we did the initial install. Right out of the gate there were oil issues so we replaced the AOS. This did not resolve the oil issues so TPC agreed to rebuild the turbo. When we installed the rebuilt turbo the oil issues were insane. I literally had oil dripping out of the exhaust. At this point I was about ready to scrap the whole turbo and go back to stock but my installer suggested we install a scavenger pump. He has been working on another customers 2006 Cayman S that has the TPC turbo kit with a scavenger pump. When I gave the other guy a call he told me he had also had the same problems and that as soon as he installed the scavenger pump all the oil issues were gone. So we installed the scavenger pump and the original oil issues went away but a new one cropped up. I was no longer blowing huge clouds of smoke and leaking oil from the exhaust but now there was oil pushing past the seals on the intake side of the turbo when I tracked the car. Under normal driving conditions there are no oil issues. All of this has taken a year to sort out but I think we are very close to getting everything sorted out. We may have to restrict the intake oil supply to solve the oil issue associated with tracking the car. I think I will take the car to the track again and see if there is still an issue before we do another mod.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dan you have a sweet setup on what I consider one of the best cars Porsche has ever built. Have you ever put your car on a dyno? I would imagine you are somewhere in the 500 hp range.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Does the turbo have journal bearings? Or is it a BB turbo. If BB, then you don't need the oil flow so a .35 restricor should be good. If a journal bearing, would consider switch to a BB turbo. Any specifics on the turbocharger itself?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hey Trackman, I have the same issue with oil getting into the intake side of the system only when I run with boost. The next day I will get a cloud of smoke when I start of the car. It only last for a few seconds. I was assuming this was normal.

Jorligan, I believe the TPC turbo is a journal bearing unit. I have not found any specs for the turbo. I would be interested in finding a Garrett equivalent. The other thing to consider is that unit also requires water cooling.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts