Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In reviewing the 2018 Porsche 718 configurator, I don't see either the Lane Change Assist or the Active Cruise Control offered as options. Are these now "Standard Options" (oxymoron?) ?

·
718 Enthusiast
303 Posts
In reviewing the 2018 Porsche 718 configurator, I don't see either the Lane Change Assist or the Active Cruise Control offered as options. Are these now "Standard Options" (oxymoron?) ?
They are the first 2 options listed under "Interior".

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
It's there. See below. They are not standard. I have the LCA on my 2018 911. I like it. It shows red bars if someone is in my blind spot and then blinks at me, if I decide to put on my blinker. One accident and this option pays for itself. Some people find it annoying. I don't.

I don't have ACC but I heard from other enthusiasts that it is pretty cool. Since it costs some bucks, I recommend that you drive one that has it and see what you think.

Vehicle Car Steering wheel Center console Personal luxury car

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your comment. I have also heard that some were annoyed by occasional false responses from close fixed objects (walls, etc) but these were not the Porsche implementation. Seems to me if it works as advertised, what's not to like? And same with ACC.

·
4,088 Posts
Thanks for your comment. I have also heard that some were annoyed by occasional false responses from close fixed objects (walls, etc) but these were not the Porsche implementation. Seems to me if it works as advertised, what's not to like? And same with ACC.
I don't know how LCA can activate on a wall. I have never received a false alert. From the manual:

• Lane Change Assist cannot alert you in time to vehicles approaching at high speed from behind or vehicles that are falling back.
  • Lane Change Assist does not work in tight corners (curve radius of less than 330 ft (100 m)).
  • Lane Change Assist only alerts you to approaching vehicles or vehicles in the blindspot above a driving speed of approx. 20 mph (30 km/h)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks, lajoiedp. Don't know why I couldn't see that.

Anyone have these options that care to comment on their actual performance?
I have LCA on my 2018 BS and am very glad to have it as the side-back visibility with the top up is not great. It seems to work quite well though I'm not to the point of trusting it completely yet. But then again, I've been driving the car mostly with the top down so far anyway :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have both on my 2016 Macan and 2017 Boxster. I like both very much. LCA really catches your eye when you at looking ahead and gives you a warning even before you start to look at the mirror for a lane change. In the Boxster you lose a lot of visibility on the right side and it is a good backup. I have had a couple of instances where there was no car in the lane next to me, I look forward for a second before changing lanes and a car comes in from two lanes over right next to me and the warning alerted me just before I started to move over. I love ACC and use it all the time as a safety factor. On a trip from San Diego to Barstow Ca, I engaged it,set it at 80 and never touched the brake or gas pedal for over 2 hours. In stop and go traffic it is also nice. It will station keep about 1 car length behind the car ahead maintain that distance even to a stop. When traffic starts, just tap the gas pedal and it will resume following the car ahead. Another safety feature is if you have it turned on (I always leave it on) but not engaged it will give your an aural and visual warning if you are approaching something at an excessive closure rate. It will pump up the brakes (not stop the car) so when you hit the brakes you will get max braking without the small delay when you make an emergency stop without it. You have to always be alert because there are situations it cannot handle safely or may get your attention when it does react. It is only looking a few hundred feet ahead of the car so if traffic has stopped ahead and you are at a high speed it will have to make a very rapid stop. It is so smooth that you can have it set at 80 and if traffic in your lane slows down, you may not even notice and then notice you are only going 60 in your lane. Change lanes and it will go back up to 80. Both are very nice but you are still in control and they can get you into trouble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Porsche is a greedy company. They charge high prices, offer a few standard options have expensive options and have the highest profit margin in the auto industry, more than even a Bentley car. You may be surprised to know that a new Camry or Honda has just about every safety feature known to man and Porsche has none. I believe that is partly due that the Porsche does not have a crash rating. Other companies include safety features to get the 5 star crash rating. But you got to love the Porsche to put up with these marketing schemes.

·
718 Enthusiast
303 Posts
Porsche is a greedy company. They charge high prices, offer a few standard options have expensive options and have the highest profit margin in the auto industry, more than even a Bentley car. You may be surprised to know that a new Camry or Honda has just about every safety feature known to man and Porsche has none. I believe that is partly due that the Porsche does not have a crash rating. Other companies include safety features to get the 5 star crash rating. But you got to love the Porsche to put up with these marketing schemes.
Porsche would respond to your comment by saying that they give their customers the option to pay for the features (safety or otherwise) they want and not pay for the features they don't, while other car manufacturers give you no choice but to pay for them (the cost is hidden in the base price of the vehicle). I'm not saying I would agree with that totally, but that's what they would claim.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have ACC but am no where as comfortable with it as @ritchieg. Perhaps because I'v been driving for over 50 years and the last 15 with cruise control. I love cruse control and use it consistently when I'm on the freeway, well when the freeway is moving in LA. lol However, the ACC seems just a bit too accommodating to others for me. For instance, I'm cruising along at 70 with ACC set at 3 car lengths and some one changes into my lane 2 car lengths ahead going 60 to 65. The ACC immediately slows down while the guy who pulled in front of me speeds up. Since I have immediately slowed the driver does not speed up very quickly. Sometimes not at all. i.e. why should they, after all I slowed down for them and maintained the 3 car lengths. Without ACC I would have closed within 1 car length in order to indicate to the other driver that I was obviously going faster than they were. This in turn would encourage them to either speed up or get out of that lane. OK, so maybe I'm a control freak when it comes to driving, but as I said at the start I've been driving for 50 years. lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
Do not feed the troll, folks. Let lemmings like this guy drive all the Camrys in the world.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have ACC but am no where as comfortable with it as @ritchieg. Perhaps because I'v been driving for over 50 years and the last 15 with cruise control. I love cruse control and use it consistently when I'm on the freeway, well when the freeway is moving in LA. lol However, the ACC seems just a bit too accommodating to others for me. For instance, I'm cruising along at 70 with ACC set at 3 car lengths and some one changes into my lane 2 car lengths ahead going 60 to 65. The ACC immediately slows down while the guy who pulled in front of me speeds up. Since I have immediately slowed the driver does not speed up very quickly. Sometimes not at all. i.e. why should they, after all I slowed down for them and maintained the 3 car lengths. Without ACC I would have closed within 1 car length in order to indicate to the other driver that I was obviously going faster than they were. This in turn would encourage them to either speed up or get out of that lane. OK, so maybe I'm a control freak when it comes to driving, but as I said at the start I've been driving for 50 years. lol
I can understand your frustration with the ACC action in the freeway scenario you describe. For myself with regard to freeway driving in LA, I am more inclined to use cruise control on a more cautious and restricted basis. The trip described by @ritchieg would likely have fewer of the type of "lane invaders" than frequently presented during a 405 freeway trip and IMO presents a logical use of the control. As always YMMV.

This leads me to ask: what are the settable controls on ACC? eg car length spacing, aggressiveness of response, etc.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Porsche would respond to your comment by saying that they give their customers the option to pay for the features (safety or otherwise) they want and not pay for the features they don't, while other car manufacturers give you no choice but to pay for them (the cost is hidden in the base price of the vehicle). ...
Spot on. I would never want ACC or LCA on a sports car where I drive. I suppose it has to do with driving style and traffic density.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I love ACC and use it all the time as a safety factor. On a trip from San Diego to Barstow Ca, I engaged it,set it at 80 and never touched the brake or gas pedal for over 2 hours. In stop and go traffic it is also nice. It will station keep about 1 car length behind the car ahead maintain that distance even to a stop. When traffic starts, just tap the gas pedal and it will resume following the car ahead. Another safety feature is if you have it turned on (I always leave it on) but not engaged it will give your an aural and visual warning if you are approaching something at an excessive closure rate. It will pump up the brakes (not stop the car) so when you hit the brakes you will get max braking without the small delay when you make an emergency stop without it. You have to always be alert because there are situations it cannot handle safely or may get your attention when it does react. It is only looking a few hundred feet ahead of the car so if traffic has stopped ahead and you are at a high speed it will have to make a very rapid stop. It is so smooth that you can have it set at 80 and if traffic in your lane slows down, you may not even notice and then notice you are only going 60 in your lane. Change lanes and it will go back up to 80. Both are very nice but you are still in control and they can get you into trouble.
Let's open a betting session here. How long before PCA instructors are updated and trained to send you back home when you come to the track with a car so equipped? Sounds scary to me. And I mean it sounds scary even on a public road, frankly. Almost an invitation to get rear-ended by a person who looked up 4 seconds ago and there was 1/2 mile of open freeway before slowdown then went back to the more important task while behind the steering wheel of a moving vehicle : social media updates while your car hits the brakes. Just IMO, of course.

Reactions: BlueNorther

·
4,088 Posts
This is your first post in a Porsche forum? Welcome to the club.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.