Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
718 Enthusiast
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is the standard trim (center console, dashboard, doors) on the 718 plastic or aluminum? If so, did anyone elect to upgrade to brushed aluminum or carbon fiber?

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
It is plastic.

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I think it feels cheap, too. Would have never expected it in a Porsche. I leathered the trim pieces when I specced the car and wish I had gone full leather!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
718 Enthusiast
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
At was at a Porsche dealer yesterday. They claim the standard trim is Aluminum, not plastic.
Nope. It is plastic. Look at the configurator. Aluminum trim is an option. It is not standard.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The default dash trim is plated plastic; you can get aluminum as an upgrade. Personally I'm not a big fan of all those shiny bits inside the car, but I didn't order upgraded trim when I spec'd my 981 because I was pushing my budget with performance options. After I got the car, I replaced the trim ring around the center console with an OEM leather wrapped replacement. After having the car for 3 years, I finally replaced the dash trim with the OEM black anodized aluminum. Stupid expensive but totally worth it to me. Just wish I'd ordered the car with the upgraded trim in the first place because I'm stuck with the plastic trim on the doors.

·
718 Enthusiast
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The default dash trim is plated plastic; you can get aluminum as an upgrade. Personally I'm not a big fan of all those shiny bits inside the car, but I didn't order upgraded trim when I spec'd my 981 because I was pushing my budget with performance options. After I got the car, I replaced the trim ring around the center console with an OEM leather wrapped replacement. After having the car for 3 years, I finally replaced the dash trim with the OEM black anodized aluminum. Stupid expensive but totally worth it to me. Just wish I'd ordered the car with the upgraded trim in the first place because I'm stuck with the plastic trim on the doors.
Two dealers both told me it’s aluminum. Brushed aluminum is a different type of aluminum.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Two dealers both told me it’s aluminum. Brushed aluminum is a different type of aluminum.
What @steve1ddd said. If it were real aluminum -- even as a layer on top of plastic -- it would be cold or cool to the touch at room temperature, and would not get tremendously hot to the touch in warm temps unless exposed to direct sunlight. Why? Because aluminum is not a very conductive metal. The stock plastic bits get HOT.

Oh, and brushed aluminum isn't a different type of aluminum; it just has a different surface treatment. Aluminum is aluminum because, well, it's an elemental metal. Now the aluminum in the trim very well may be an alloy since raw aluminum can be stained and blemished quite easily (tip: NEVER use WD-40 on aluminum). But 'brushed' refers to the finish, not to the metal itself.

·
718 Enthusiast
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe the confusion from the dealers is that I think the door trims are actually aluminum even if you don't change the basic trim... maybe????
I specifically pointed to the center trim. He was adamant about the fact that the trim was aluminum, not plastic, saying the only difference between the standard and upgraded trim was the upgrade was brushed and the standard was not. It wouldn't be the first time a SA didn't get his facts right. There were several things I knew about the options on the car that the SA did not. Needless to say, that's one of the reasons I'm placing my order with another dealer.

·
718 Enthusiast
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Aluminum is aluminum because, well, it's an elemental metal.
That's not entirely true. There are many grades of aluminum (5052, 6061, 7075). The intended use would determine the proper grade used.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That's not entirely true. There are many grades of aluminum (5052, 6061, 7075). The intended use would determine the proper grade used.
Those 'grades' are all alloy compositions because in raw form, aluminum is soft and not very resilient (think aluminum foil, which is grade 1199: 99.99 percent aluminum). However, when strengthened in an alloy with any one of a number of minority metals ranging from magnesium to copper, it's gets useful quick because of its light weight and relative inertness.

Those four-digit grades you mention actually identify both the type of raw aluminum used (wrought) and the number and types of other elements used in the alloy (5052 = magnesium and chromium. 6061 adds silicon. 7075 adds zinc and copper).

So actually it's the grade that determines the use, not the use that determines the grade.

Reactions: canux

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
What @steve1ddd said. If it were real aluminum -- even as a layer on top of plastic -- it would be cold or cool to the touch at room temperature, and would not get tremendously hot to the touch in warm temps unless exposed to direct sunlight. Why? Because aluminum is not a very conductive metal. The stock plastic bits get HOT.

Oh, and brushed aluminum isn't a different type of aluminum; it just has a different surface treatment. Aluminum is aluminum because, well, it's an elemental metal. Now the aluminum in the trim very well may be an alloy since raw aluminum can be stained and blemished quite easily (tip: NEVER use WD-40 on aluminum). But 'brushed' refers to the finish, not to the metal itself.
Aluminum is a very good conductor of both heat and electricity, and a WAY better conductor than plastic. I don't know whether you intended to say that or not, but I got the impression you stated just the opposite.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I just the tap with fingernail test. I believe the trim to be plastic, that’s why I leathered it. IIRC my dealer told me it was plastic. May some of the leftover aluminum from the cylinders 5 and 6 was used for dash trim on the 718.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
268 Posts
Most of the trim is plastic--aluminium coloured.;0

The door handles are aluminium alloy. The only other trim on my doors are the tiny strips on the buttons--they are chrome--I'll bet over plastic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.