Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently drove a '10 CS w/ the standard seats, and I have pretty wide shoulders w/ my 6'2" frame so the seats felt tight to me in the shoulder/upper back area (my shoulders didn't really fit between the bolsters).
Are the sports seats wider in these areas so they may be more comfortable?

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
I recently drove a '10 CS w/ the standard seats, and I have pretty wide shoulders w/ my 6'2" frame so the seats felt tight to me in the shoulder/upper back area (my shoulders didn't really fit between the bolsters).
We have one car with each type of seat, I'm pretty broad, and I'm much more comfortable in the sport seats. FWIW, my wife likes the standard seats better.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you checked the FAQ on seats and related info??
Ya I've read through all the FAQ's, but couldn't find a definitive answer

It may be best if I sit in both, although I don't think my local dealer has any w/ the sport seats.
Are the sport seats the same between models (cayman, boxster, 911)?

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Sort of; they fan out right at the shoulder area so it feels wider. I switched from a Cayman to a Boxster RS60 just to get the sport seats. (The local dealer doesn't bring in many cars with sport seats; just a couple each year.)

The seatback on the standard seat in my Cayman was causing a problem with my right shoulder, causing some numbness. I thought it was the height of the shifter but it was the seat because I first installed sheepskin inserts and that alleviated the problem. The sheepskins were just wide enough to fill out the seat back without losing the feeling from the bolsters of the seat bottom.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
the problem now is--------I was planning on getting the standard seats w/ the power adj. option, so if I need to get these sport seats, then I'm going to have to pony up even more $ to get the adaptive version in order to have the memory capability and things-----dang the options never end!! I swear, I never thought a $60k car would end up costing me upwards into the high 70's!
My wife is going to shoot me---first I had to explain away the sport chrono, then the PASM, and now possibly these seats as well. Make it stop! ;-) Luckily she wants the PDK for her benefit as well (can't drive manual) and she likes the 19" rims I want. Still though, hard to stomach a Cayman S for almost 80 grand

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Still though, hard to stomach a Cayman S for almost 80 grand
$80K+ Caymans used to be rare, but not so much these days. Many of the PDK cars I've seen come in at over $78K. I've personally seen three Caymans with MSRPs over $90K, which was unheard of just a few years ago. Given that Porsche options have resale value impact that usually rounds to ZERO, spending over $20K on options should be done only after a lot of thought. :)

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
2010 Carrara White Cayman S available at local dealer for $82,940 with similar options you are looking at but no adaptive sport seats - just leather. My website configured perfect spec Cayman S came out to $118,760. I had to stop.

BTW my 2006 Cayman S has option P15 Electrically Adjustable Seats with memory functions that recognizes which key is being used. Key #1 remembers my seating setting while Key #2 remembers my wife's seating setting. Both on button #1. Buttons 2 & 3 are rarely used but I set them to be fully back so that we have quick back button push for valet parking et al. It is a great concept even though I rarely let her drive.

Barrier Porsche -- 2010 Porsche Cayman S, Carrara White

Good luck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm 6'0" and have wide shoulders.

When spec'ing out my Cayman, I wanted the sport seats so I could paint the backs from the factory. I sat in both and the standard seats were much more comfortable to me. The lumbar support was in the right place.

I honestly believe that the standard seats I have in my Cayman a super comfortable, even on long trips. I wish they had a supple leather option for the standard seats (like my Lexus,) but I do like them.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm a big guy and found the sport seat shoulder bolsters were too close together for me. The standard seat was much more comfortable. I strongly suggest you sit in whatever seat you intend to order. I am pretty sure the seats are the same between models.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the problem now is--------I was planning on getting the standard seats w/ the power adj. option, so if I need to get these sport seats, then I'm going to have to pony up even more $ to get the adaptive version in order to have the memory capability and things-----dang the options never end!!...
Consider leaving out the power adj. option. Saves weight and much less an advantage than in a sedan. You almost sit on the floor anyway.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
999 Posts
I tested cars with both standard and sport seats, and the sport seat bolsters, while very nice in holding you in your seat, are more likely to get wear and tear on the left side in getting in and out.

The standards have proven very comfortable on long (300+ mile) trips. They also hold you in just fine on the curves. I had sport package seats in my old BMW 3-series, which had a longer seat cushion and bigger bolsters, but I'd have back problems on long trips. I think it's all in the shape and construction of the seat, and I think Porsche has it right on the standard seats. Heck, these same seats come standard in everything right up to the 911 Turbo model. C&D tested the Turbo with the base seats (as it looked from the photos) and ranked them much higher than the Vette seats.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm not an expert but if you are a big guy I believe you should consider regular seats. I have sport seats in CS and they squeeze the shoulders a bit but not uncomfortable. But I'm only 5'9" and 155 :cheers:lbs.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Sort of; they fan out right at the shoulder area so it feels wider. I switched from a Cayman to a Boxster RS60 just to get the sport seats. (The local dealer doesn't bring in many cars with sport seats; just a couple each year.)

The seatback on the standard seat in my Cayman was causing a problem with my right shoulder, causing some numbness. .
I have wide shoulders, and the standard seat cuts into my lats causing discomfort after a long ride. I find the sports seats are wide enough so that my lats don't extend beyond the width of the seat backs.

Living in Florida... I'd like to get the AC ventilated seats, but It doesn't look like they offer that option with the sports seats?

Its not easy :crazy:

·
Registered
519 Posts
I gave this issue some serious thought when my car was being ordered. I have always ordered the most supportive seats possible (adaptive sport seats in my last M3). My wife prefers less bolstered seats. We had the standard power seat in our last Porsche, and they were the most comfortable seats we've ever had, with enough bolstering to hold you in place during spirited drives. I wound up ordering the same seats in the CS and am very happy with them. When I have back pain, the CS is the car I choose to drive. I think seat choice is one of the most important decisions you have to make when ordering the car, because the wrong choice can spoil the whole driving experience. I highly recommend the butt test. It's worth travelling to do it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.