Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I push the clutch in and turn the key to start my car there is about a two to three second wait before the cars starts. It used to be instant. Is this a sign my battery or starter is about to go and that I should replace it soon? I have 24K miles on the odometer. Thanks.

·
Registered
810 Posts
How old is your battery? They don't last very long and would be the first place I'd look. They can test it for you at almost any auto parts store without even having to take it out of your car.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I had the same problem last year. It was fixed by replacing the clutch switch.

It's inexpensive and easy to replace (5-10 minutes) - if your car cranks strong I would try the switch before the battery.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the same problem last year. It was fixed by replacing the clutch switch.

It's inexpensive and easy to replace (5-10 minutes) - if your car cranks strong I would try the switch before the battery.
My car is 3 1/2 yrs old so I'm hoping it's not the battery. I'll try replacing the clutch switch and see if that works. It's strange though... it doesn't happen all the time.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Replace the battery in the key.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Guarantee it's the clutch switch. Your symptoms are classic. I personally just decided to bypass it with a short wire and two spade connectors, but you can also just replace the switch with a new one. Do it soon, or you could find yourself stranded somewhere with a car that won't start!

Reactions: Alberta_bound

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
If the clutch switch is the problem wouldn't the error message pop up on the multi-function display telling you to push in the clutch?

·
Registered
259 Posts
If the clutch switch is the problem wouldn't the error message pop up on the multi-function display telling you to push in the clutch?

Seems like I started seeing that message after this had progressed more (ie there is some sufficient time delay that occurs prior to that message displaying). If you hold the key long enough and it thinks the clutch isn't depressed, it shows up. But initially, when the start delay was only a second or two, I don't recall seeing the message.
I suppose this symptom could be something else, but my money is on clutch switch. It's just so common in our cars... some people here are on their third or fourth switch now.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
You would think so, but that wasn't the case for me. Maybe, as BE455 says, it's a time issue. In any case, I had the exact same problem as the OP and it was cured by replacing the switch. That was about 15 months ago, by the way, and it's still working fine. I know they have revised the switch a few times, perhaps it's now more reliable.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the switch is inexpensive to fix I might as well replace it now. Is it a DIY or do I need to take it in? I'm pretty handy with most things but I've never been comforatble with electronics.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the switch is inexpensive to fix I might as well replace it now. Is it a DIY or do I need to take it in? I'm pretty handy with most things but I've never been comfortable with electronics.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Simple enough DIY - assuming you do yoga and are flexible enough to work in a tight space. :)

Agree with the suggestion to just bridge the connection first and see if it fixes your problem. Why not?

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If it's the same switch I'm thinking of, I disabled it a couple of years ago by removing the spring. It was throwing my timing off so I removed it but kept it plugged in. Unfortunately my cruise control was disabled as well. The added benefit was that the hill assist was disabled too.

Could it still be the switch then?

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
My car is 3 1/2 yrs old so I'm hoping it's not the battery. I'll try replacing the clutch switch and see if that works. It's strange though... it doesn't happen all the time.

Thanks for the replies.
If the switch is inexpensive to fix I might as well replace it now. Is it a DIY or do I need to take it in? I'm pretty handy with most things but I've never been comforatble with electronics.
Why do this yourself, above you say the car is 3-1/2 years old so it would be still covered by warranty... Good time to take it in and have them mine it for more warranty opportunities in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I might wait then and bring it up on my next service before my warranty expires in April. The car had been bullet proof since day 1 so I'm not expecting any surprises. But you're right, might be worth having them give it a good once over in the spring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts