Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum.

I am having a problem re-starting my 2007 cayman after a journey. The engine fails to start on first try, then takes forever to start - I am in danger of running the battery down trying.

When this happened today, when the car eventually started it ran at high revs - around 2500rpm - with a fair amount of smoke - only reducing revs when I engaged gear and pulled away...?

Any ideas what may be going on?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no cel codes appear - the car starts fine from cold, but after a journey, when it has been parked up - restarting is a real problem.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
without codes or a scan tool its all guessing MAF ,crankshaft position sensor

·
On Probation
582 Posts
is anything else not working [electrical] ? if so check ignition switch

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thinking this through, and before I part with any cash to my local porsche dealer, I thought I would just check and clean the MAF.

I followed the excellent posting on the forum at:

http://www.planet-9.com/planet-9-articles/40925-cleaning-mass-air-flow-sensor.html

I used a can of electrical cleaning spray from Halfords (UK car centre store) - which I think is an Isopropranolol and water based fluid. Importantly, I left the MAF to dry thoroughly after using the spray (to prevent any water ingress into the engine from the spray).

After a few tense "gynaecological" fumblings in the engine compartment (blimey its tight in there) - the MAF was back on and the restart problem seems to have disapeared!!!

However, I have noticed two further things:-

1. the coolant warning light beeps and flashes - the dial does not move from 40 - until some way into a journey, when it then points at 80 then all seems to return to normal ???

2. the oil level measurement system does not work - when I start from cold, the countdown shows 6 seconds - then moves to an error message. The clock then gets reset to a 60 min countdown? If I wait 60 mins - same thing happens ???

Do you think that the restart problem is related to this - i.e. is there some other electrical control system/sensor higher up the chain that may be malfunctioning??

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
. . . However, I have noticed two further things:-

1. the coolant warning light beeps and flashes - the dial does not move from 40 - until some way into a journey, when it then points at 80 then all seems to return to normal ???

2. the oil level measurement system does not work - when I start from cold, the countdown shows 6 seconds - then moves to an error message. The clock then gets reset to a 60 min countdown? If I wait 60 mins - same thing happens ???

Do you think that the restart problem is related to this - i.e. is there some other electrical control system/sensor higher up the chain that may be malfunctioning??
Did you visually check your coolant level to make sure it is alright? I think that many of us have found that the coolant temp gauge on the instrument panel is not very helpful in reliably warning of low coolant levels.

However, with the oil level sensor malfunctioning also, it sounds to me like you may have some kind of electronics glitch that may warrant a visit to the Service Dept.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hello forum.

I am having a problem re-starting my 2007 cayman after a journey. The engine fails to start on first try, then takes forever to start - I am in danger of running the battery down trying.

When this happened today, when the car eventually started it ran at high revs - around 2500rpm - with a fair amount of smoke - only reducing revs when I engaged gear and pulled away...?

Any ideas what may be going on?

thanks in advance
The problem you have is down to the temp sensor on the front of the engine (about £18) the sensor fails and when you try to restart after a run it tells the management system that the engine is cold, the engine fuels for a cold start and effectively floods the engine, when it finally catches the black smoke is the excess fuel being burnt off. Other symtoms are erratic temp gauge action and engine check warning lights coming on.

I hope this helps?

Chris P

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chris

Thanks for your posting. Your diagnosis was correct - thats the conclusion I came to a year ago. This is just to "close the loop" on the thread to assist others.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.