Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2.9 2011 Cayman. Serviced by Porsche 2 weeks ago. Insert key, gears in neutral , depress clutch, turn key to start. Sometimes it does start, sometimes nothing happens. Lights all light up, depress clutch goes out but nothing happens when key turned to start. Is this a normal delay while the system goes through checks, or should it start immediately? Put key back to off, turn key to on, depress clutch and normally it will start although sometimes with a delay. I'm new to caymans so please bear with me (only had the car 3 weeks) Searched forums and i've seen clutch sensor mentioned a few times but the depress clutch light goes out when clutch depressed so assume that is ok? Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
To my knowledge there should be no delay when starting. Once you turn the key, the engine should start to try to turn over right away. My first thought was the clutch sensor as well, so if that's not the problem then maybe it could be the ignition switch itself. Either way I say take it back to Porsche, tell them it was working when you brought it in for service and isn't now. They should at the very least look at, and hopefully diagnose, the problem for you for free.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Its a simple job to disconnect the clutch switch and bridge it with a piece of wire and in doing so this will eliminate the possibility of a faulty switch. Alternatively, as said already take it back to the OPC and have them check it, but I'm not sure if they will do it for free as they will probably find some excuse to charge you.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You might also try putting a new battery in the key.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've had similar symptoms. Mine turned out to be the steering column lock not disengaging because of tension. Take the key out; rotate the steering wheel a bit; put the key back in. If you hear the click of the lock disengage, the engine should start.

If this works for you, the delay may just be the lock slowly sliding out of the locked position.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Got a 2.9 2011 Cayman. Serviced by Porsche 2 weeks ago. Insert key, gears in neutral , depress clutch, turn key to start. Sometimes it does start, sometimes nothing happens. Lights all light up, depress clutch goes out but nothing happens when key turned to start. Is this a normal delay while the system goes through checks, or should it start immediately? Put key back to off, turn key to on, depress clutch and normally it will start although sometimes with a delay. I'm new to caymans so please bear with me (only had the car 3 weeks) Searched forums and i've seen clutch sensor mentioned a few times but the depress clutch light goes out when clutch depressed so assume that is ok? Thanks
Mine's been doing that since I bought it in 2009.

:cheers:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Guys, appreciate the help. I'll try the second key, then bridge the clutch sensor if that doesn't work. Failing that back to Porsche. I'm amazed so many people seem to have problems just starting their Porsche!

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
thanks Guys, appreciate the help. I'll try the second key, then bridge the clutch sensor if that doesn't work. Failing that back to Porsche. I'm amazed so many people seem to have problems just starting their Porsche!
I don't see it as a problem. It's just the way the anti-theft device works on these things. You have to have the steering wheel "just so" and it starts.

Porsche puts the key where it is because of the traditional "Lemans Start" where drivers had to run across the track to their not-running cars, get in and start them then jockey through traffic for position. I miss that sort of stuff, but nowadays, race cars cost so much money no teams are willing to throw their fates to the wind like that. Race motors have become things that require externally heated oil and coolant, remote started etc, etc.

Since Porsche is the only one who does this, the anti-theft parts are unique to Porsches. They aren't out of the VW parts bin. There's a magnet involved and if the wheel isn't in the right position, it balks. Hardly ideal for winning Lemans, I'd say.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Have you tried turning your key over and trying to start it with the other side of the key? That sometimes happens to my 06CS.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's different. Maybe the car doesn't get a good signal from the security chip in the key when in a particular orientation. I'll have to keep that in mind in case releasing the column lock doesn't fix it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input. I've tried both keys and it seems to make no difference which key i use. It could be something in the ignition but i'm more shifting towards the clutch pedal. Could be completely wrong but it's getting a bit embarrassing trying to start the car if i'm in a traffic jam. A visit to the dealer i fear is coming!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't see it as a problem. It's just the way the anti-theft device works on these things. You have to have the steering wheel "just so" and it starts.

Porsche puts the key where it is because of the traditional "Lemans Start" where drivers had to run across the track to their not-running cars, get in and start them then jockey through traffic for position. I miss that sort of stuff, but nowadays, race cars cost so much money no teams are willing to throw their fates to the wind like that. Race motors have become things that require externally heated oil and coolant, remote started etc, etc.

Since Porsche is the only one who does this, the anti-theft parts are unique to Porsches. They aren't out of the VW parts bin. There's a magnet involved and if the wheel isn't in the right position, it balks. Hardly ideal for winning Lemans, I'd say.

i'm glad i'm not relying on a le mans start - i'd definitely be last! (sometimes takes me a couple of minutes to get started) Interestingly, it seems to start first time in the morning when cold. I'll try the 'just so' approach to the steering wheel tomorrow to see if that works. Be great to work out what's causing it. Cheers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do all the other lights stay on when you turn the key, or does everything die as if you have a flat battery? If it's the latter the battery needs a check first, then the distribution box ( I think that's the same as the fuse box) below the glove box inside the car. Mine's in at the OPC today having a new fuse box fitted after I told them of other peoples' experiences on this forum. They didn't like taking advice from a forum, but they had to admit it was probably right in the end!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do all the other lights stay on when you turn the key, or does everything die as if you have a flat battery? If it's the latter the battery needs a check first, then the distribution box ( I think that's the same as the fuse box) below the glove box inside the car. Mine's in at the OPC today having a new fuse box fitted after I told them of other peoples' experiences on this forum. They didn't like taking advice from a forum, but they had to admit it was probably right in the end!
no - lights all stay on. Bought a new clutch switch today and will fit tomorrow. OPC reckon that's probably the cause, apparently they sell lots of them!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I thought there was a recall on those switches. I had the swithch in my CSS replaced by my dealer when I had it in for other work. They said they replaced it b/c it was a recall where they don't tell you to bring it in but change it when you do. I didn't ask them to do the switch, they did it on their own and told me when I picked the car up. No charge for the replacement.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts