Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to start with modifying my CGTS, started off with 7mm spacers all around.. and now am thinking of performance mods on my gts..

I came across two upgrades but got stuck wondering what's the difference.. so this one is for the experts:
What is the difference between the atmo335 powerpak and the IPD plenum plus GT3 82mm TB??

atmo335 costs around 3k, on the other hand IPD costs nearly half of that! so whats the big secret?
another mod would be getting BMC air filter and fabspeed headers (might wait 6 months until doing the headers though)..

Would appreciate any opinions + recommendations! thanks guys

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I think that there is software included in the atmo335 powerpak that will allow you to get the most out of the plenum and throttle body upgrade. Check the website descriptions.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The TPC package includes a Unichip add-on electronics module that modifies the fuel mixture independent of the ECU. So the TPC price includes the cost of the Unichip and their proprietary software/maps. This is necessary because the ECU's firmware and data is encrypted and tuners are having difficulty in breaking the encryption. By default, the IPD solution does not have an ECU/fuel mixture adjustment with it and results are less than what they could be when/if an ECU tune becomes available.

The other major difference is the TPC plenum is reported to be a 997 plenum (not sure if true), but it does not have a flapper valve in the intake, which the IPD and the stock plenum does. The flapper valve increases low end torque, so the TPC may have a loss at extremely low RPM, but a good gain at mid-high RPM. Because of lack of an ECU tune, threads here on P-9 show that the IPD solution has less Upper RPM HP than TPC's solution due to the throttle body closing and lack of fuel. Some people are getting Check Engine Lights with IPD because it flows more air than the ECU expects.

Now, I have evaluated (by reading as much as I can) and settled on the IPD plenum 82mm Throttle body, hoping for a future ECU tune, as potentially with a good tune, IPD could produce more HP than TPC. Mine is due in today. I am also traveling to Fabspeed in two weeks and having their sport headers and tips installed, keeping the stock muffler. Although tempted, I am going to wait until I get home from Fabspeed before I install the IPD plenum as I don't want CELs and limp home mode on a 2000 mile roundtrip drive.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
One last thing, expect an ECU tune, when/if one comes available, to be on the order of $1K and may require you to send the ECU to the tuner.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Please do before and after dynos :cheers:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot guys for the posts.. This helps alot.. Am thinking of getting the headers too, but am loving the sound am getting out of the stock mufflers.. Will need to hear some videos before deciding if i would go with the whole system or just the headers.. Might get the race speced ones as restrictions in my country are minimal
Please do before and after dynos :cheers:
Will try my best to do the before asap.. Its a hassle to dyno the car around here

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
To be honest, I wouldn't waste my time with either of the first two options if I were you.

I would get headers and wait for a tune, then I would get the plenum and throttle body

·
Banned
92 Posts
Planning to start with modifying my CGTS, started off with 7mm spacers all around.. and now am thinking of performance mods on my gts..

I came across two upgrades but got stuck wondering what's the difference.. so this one is for the experts:
What is the difference between the atmo335 powerpak and the IPD plenum plus GT3 82mm TB??

atmo335 costs around 3k, on the other hand IPD costs nearly half of that! so whats the big secret?
another mod would be getting BMC air filter and fabspeed headers (might wait 6 months until doing the headers though)..

Would appreciate any opinions + recommendations! thanks guys

Let me know when you are ready for the Fabspeed Headers and BMC filter, I would be happy to assist!

The TPC package includes a Unichip add-on electronics module that modifies the fuel mixture independent of the ECU. So the TPC price includes the cost of the Unichip and their proprietary software/maps. This is necessary because the ECU's firmware and data is encrypted and tuners are having difficulty in breaking the encryption. By default, the IPD solution does not have an ECU/fuel mixture adjustment with it and results are less than what they could be when/if an ECU tune becomes available.

The other major difference is the TPC plenum is reported to be a 997 plenum (not sure if true), but it does not have a flapper valve in the intake, which the IPD and the stock plenum does. The flapper valve increases low end torque, so the TPC may have a loss at extremely low RPM, but a good gain at mid-high RPM. Because of lack of an ECU tune, threads here on P-9 show that the IPD solution has less Upper RPM HP than TPC's solution due to the throttle body closing and lack of fuel. Some people are getting Check Engine Lights with IPD because it flows more air than the ECU expects.

Now, I have evaluated (by reading as much as I can) and settled on the IPD plenum 82mm Throttle body, hoping for a future ECU tune, as potentially with a good tune, IPD could produce more HP than TPC. Mine is due in today. I am also traveling to Fabspeed in two weeks and having their sport headers and tips installed, keeping the stock muffler. Although tempted, I am going to wait until I get home from Fabspeed before I install the IPD plenum as I don't want CELs and limp home mode on a 2000 mile roundtrip drive.

Looking forward to meeting you and getting this install completed for you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts