Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much thought, numerous drives, many discussions and many visits to the dealership, I have made my decision to stick with my 2012 991CS rather than order a new Cayman GTS. I absolutely loved the GTS and would be happy to own one but it really did not offer me anything that my current car doesn't. I should mention that the current car has only 15K miles on it and will be under warranty until 2018, so the timing just wasn't right for me. The Cayman would have touched $95K to add the options that are in the 991. While that was a contributing factor, it wasn't the only factor. As a DD, I just didn't see that the slight difference in weight and balance really affected my needs for this car. The Cayman appeared smaller, but actually is pretty close in size to the 991. It did feel lighter but not so significantly so that I felt I must have this now. The lesser torque was also a factor but not a deal killer. All in all, I believe that the 981 is a great platform and, if my car was a bit older, I would have ordered it now. I guess I'll wait and see what the 991.2 and the new engines bring to the party. Thanks to everyone who communicated with me and gave me advice.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
At the end of the day, it's hard to go wrong with any of these cars. Congrats.

Reactions: michael818

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
I agree with you, the Cayman GTS is a fine car but with turbo changes coming this year and the next it'd be better to take a backseat since you already have the icon.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Good decision. I'm loving mine. It's my DD and the sense of space behind the seats is a winner for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
991 is a great DD, much better than the Cayman GTS, the backseats are small but usable. I wouldn't trade it in if I were you, you've made the right decision.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Would I right in thinking the 991 is quieter than the 981B or C?

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Can't fault your logic. As it happens I drove a manual Cayman GTS a couple of weeks ago, with the alcantara package and bucket seats, in Carmon red. Great car and a difficult choice for someone looking at that or a 991S. But these cars are very different propositions, the Cayman is a sports car, an intimate cockpit focused on driving rather than the more relaxed 991 cabin which does enjoy better visibility. The power of the 991 is lovely but so is the pin sharp handling of the 981 - just as good as each other. I don't want to let the 911-50 go but I thought I'd humour the sales guy and find out how much it would be to lease a new fully loaded manual BGTS and chop the 911 in against it. The result - the same monthly cost. Really. He said I'd be daft to do it and he wouldn't sell it to me, good bloke.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
The only Cayman I'd consider jumping into from a 991CS is a GT4. A new CGTS rocks, but you would be eating some serious depreciation on the 991 to get into one. Then you'd be right back on the steep side of the depreciation curve again with the GTS (less steep, I'm guessing, with a GT4).

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the PSE so it is not very quiet. The GTS did have a bit more cabin noise, but in a good way.

Would I right in thinking the 991 is quieter than the 981B or C?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand fully, the GTS would have resulted in at least the same monthly payment as the 991 for me also. They are both so good though that it is hard to make a decision.

Can't fault your logic. As it happens I drove a manual Cayman GTS a couple of weeks ago, with the alcantara package and bucket seats, in Carmon red. Great car and a difficult choice for someone looking at that or a 991S. But these cars are very different propositions, the Cayman is a sports car, an intimate cockpit focused on driving rather than the more relaxed 991 cabin which does enjoy better visibility. The power of the 991 is lovely but so is the pin sharp handling of the 981 - just as good as each other. I don't want to let the 911-50 go but I thought I'd humour the sales guy and find out how much it would be to lease a new fully loaded manual BGTS and chop the 911 in against it. The result - the same monthly cost. Really. He said I'd be daft to do it and he wouldn't sell it to me, good bloke.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm guessing you're correct about the depreciation curves. I would have loved the GTS with the GT4 engine but the GT4 itself does not appeal to me as a DD, a bit too aggressive looking with the wing.

The only Cayman I'd consider jumping into from a 991CS is a GT4. A new CGTS rocks, but you would be eating some serious depreciation on the 991 to get into one. Then you'd be right back on the steep side of the depreciation curve again with the GTS (less steep, I'm guessing, with a GT4).

Reactions: Caymanmypants

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I'm guessing you're correct about the depreciation curves. I would have loved the GTS with the GT4 engine but the GT4 itself does not appeal to me as a DD, a bit too aggressive looking with the wing.
How well the GT4 functions as a DD is a question that can only be evaluated a few months after deliveries begin. I expect the reports from GT4 owners will likely be similar to GT3 owners: those that don't track at all may find it a bit harsh and uncompromising for a DD role. The more it's tracked, the easier it will be to overlook its shortcomings as a street car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts