Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"They all do that, sir" (TADTS)
That's what the service writer at Porsche told us.:crazy:

Here is the symptoms: A cold day in the morning. Backing up and turning the steering wheel to the "stop" slowly and a disturbing "thump"
or two occurs on the steering wheel and the front wheel. :eek:

The cars are bone stock. The rest of the day is fine.

This happens on my wife's '07 Cayman S tip AND my '06 Cayman S 6 speed. Is it TADTS? Do YOU experience this too??

--Hal & Terry

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Ummm Mine 2. Only when its < about 35F. If I don't turn to the stop, or let the car warm up, it's fine.
Larry

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Same thing with my '08 C. Happens when temp falls below 40 F. I didn't notice this last winter (less cold days). When it first happened, I thought I had run over something, like a rock.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I believe the bump is due to the differential path between the inside and outside of the tire in a slow turn. I think it is the inside or outside "letting go" to equalize. I have backed my car around an entire circle and it will keep doing it all the way around. Also, when I back out of my drive, it occurs nearly every time at the same place on the driveway where there is an expansion joint and an increase in slope that would reduce the vertical load on the inner part of the tire, allowing it to release. I have also induced the feeling by turning the wheel with the vehicle fully stopped (something I avoid just to keep from scrubbing my tires). I do not believe it is symptomatic of any steering abnormality other than wide tires.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
If I reverse, with the wheel turned (backing onto street), down a steep driveway with foot on the brake, I get a grinding sensation in the brakes. Feels like ABS. Anyone get that?

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Have experienced the same "ker-clunk" or thump first thing on cool/cold mornings. I wonder if the wider 18" front 235s on the S models make this worse? It seems odd but harmless along with many other Porsche problems.
:confused:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I get the same bump on my '99 Boxster with 17" wheels when it's cold. Glad you posted this because this is the first winter I've owned the car and it just started when it got cold. I though something major was going wrong with the front suspension.:dance:

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
My Cayman S does it, my 993 did it. MacPherson struts, suspension geometry, cold tires. It is alarming the first time you hear it, sounds like something broke, so it is pretty smart to check out if it is 'normal'.

Chuck

·
Registered
911 Posts
I presume th OP is running warm season tires like the PS2s my '07 came with. I bet if you switch to Winter or even all-seasons you won't experience the problem - at least not as much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
On another note, does ur steering wheel make a clunk noise in the column when turned to the stop as if there is metal on metal contact. Most other cars when you turn the steering wheel to the stop there is a dampening. Is this normal on the CS?

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
I can't say I've experienced that. How hard are you turning the wheel?

-Moto

On another note, does ur steering wheel make a clunk noise in the column when turned to the stop as if there is metal on metal contact. Most other cars when you turn the steering wheel to the stop there is a dampening. Is this normal on the CS?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah I meant to say when u turn the steering wheel fast and hard like when making a u-turn...when the steering wheel hits the stop its kinda hard. On my Acura and Lexus when u turn the steering fast and hard to the stop there is a dampening and tension as u approach the stop. But on the CS the steering wheel seems so free and easy to turn to the stop.

I can't say I've experienced that. How hard are you turning the wheel?

·
Registered
262 Posts
so if everyone's having this "bump", yet we're not experiencing it in any other cars we own(ed), what does that say to the design of the steering on the 987?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts