Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I have a 2007 Cayman S, ~45,000 miles. When turning at low speeds I can hear slight creaking. This could also be happening at high speeds but I do not notice it due to road noise. My steering fluid has remained topped off since the car was new, so I'm not running low. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You might check the strut bearings. They are not very robust.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Mine did this and I sprayed a bit of silicone lube on the top of the struts at the bearings and it stopped. The strut bearings CAN be damaged and fail but it seems that the surrounding bushing can make a rubber to steel creaking sound too. At least that is my theory. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
happened with mine and i ended up having to replace a water pump or something. the noise was similar to what you describe for about 3 months or so, and then when the car was cold it would make a really disturbing noise from the engine and VERY loud creaking whenever the steering wheel is turned.....

·
Registered
242 Posts
My 2009 does the same thing, especially when it's cold. Dealer told me it's normal.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
It is probably the strut bearings. It is not normal.

·
Registered
336 Posts
One thing to check on these cars is the power steering fluid level - it's not unusual for the fittings in the power steering system to develop small leaks so that over time you lose a bit of fluid. When this happens the system will make a bit of a groaning noise when you turn the wheel, especially at low speed. So learn to check the PS fluid level every once in a while. Unfortunately it means having to remove the engine cover to get to the PS fluid reservoir, but it's really not too difficult.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might check the strut bearings. They are not very robust.
Will look into this, thanks.

happened with mine and i ended up having to replace a water pump or something. the noise was similar to what you describe for about 3 months or so, and then when the car was cold it would make a really disturbing noise from the engine and VERY loud creaking whenever the steering wheel is turned.....
The noise is coming from the front half of the car. Relatively certain about this.

One thing to check on these cars is the power steering fluid level - it's not unusual for the fittings in the power steering system to develop small leaks so that over time you lose a bit of fluid. When this happens the system will make a bit of a groaning noise when you turn the wheel, especially at low speed. So learn to check the PS fluid level every once in a while. Unfortunately it means having to remove the engine cover to get to the PS fluid reservoir, but it's really not too difficult.
Steering fluid is right where it should be, so no issue there.

·
Registered
810 Posts
It is probably the strut bearings. It is not normal.
+1 on checking out the upper strut bearings as a very common woe. It's not an expensive part, but will take about 3 hrs labor to do both front bearings IIRC. The shop will likely insist on a realignment afterwards, too, but it's not really necessary if you mark the strut and get it back in exactly the same place. Which is easy because everyone here's front camber is "as far in as the strut goes, and lock it down", right?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine is doing the exact same thing (2009), groaning noise only at low speed or standing when I turn the wheel and ONLY when I turn right. Turning left side won't make any noise. I haven't checked the PS fluid tho but i find the coolant low twice in 2 months.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
My strut bearing got so bad that it would squeak when I leaned on the car.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
thanks to the OP - HeyIgotaporsche for starting this thread - my 09 started doing this weird squeaking when turning at low speeds. Indy told me that it could be the steering mechanism - the thing that returns the steering back to centre - that could need replacing. Since it only happened occasionally tracking down the sound was not easy (it didn't happen at the mechanic's place :))

Jpatterson, if I want to try to spray the strut bearings would I do it from opening the frunk trim to access the top of the struts?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Jpatterson, if I want to try to spray the strut bearings would I do it from opening the frunk trim to access the top of the struts?
No. Access is from below. bushing and bearing are at top of strut. ( above spring perch.).
You cannot spray lubricate the bearing however. It is packed with grease when new before assembly. Spray lubricant for rubber will only help a superficial! creak coming from the rubber parts.

I'm not sure what your Indy mechanic was referring to as there is no specific mechanisim that causes steering to return to center. THAT is caused by the caster built into the suspension. Much like a grocery cart. The strut bearing allows the strut to rotate as the steering wheel is turned. The bushing is flexible to absorb shock and to accommodate the fact that the strut's angle changes with suspension movement and setting.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can spray the strut bearings. I would google "Porsche strut bearing diagram" to give you a picture of where to spray. I Had the same problem and WD40 definitely solved the squeak. However, it is a temporary fix only and replacement of the bearings will eventually be necessary.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ah, but the seals get cracks in the rubber/plastic sealing material and they dry out and start to squeak, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
thanks for the comments guys. Yes understand sealed bearings don't get lubricated by spraying on the exterior but if it worked for some worth a shot right?
(assuming it is not the bearings making the noise).

anyways here is an extract from the parts catalog - no 11 is the main bearing unit.
Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 17.23.32.jpg

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Picture is worth 1000 words.
Here's what it looks like once it's out. When assembled, the gap between the halves is very small because Porsche wanted to keep water out; if you did manage to get WD-40 into it, it would likely just wash out the heavy grease that's lubricating it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts