Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just started getting a grinding/rubbing noise which appears to be coming from the passenger side (uk spec car) when turning the steering wheel. Does anyone have a list of things i need to look out for or should check?

note: just tried to see if the grinding sound occurs when it's stood still..and it does, so i don't have to be moving for it to happen.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks:)

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Is this from slight inputs are severe changes in direction? The latter is somewhat normal and even could be caused by cold weather on the parts including tires. But if everything else is the same as always then you need to get it checked out. There are a number of things to look for but if you can explain some more perhaps it will be easier to recommend something. To start, no change in tires or wheels, miles on the car, last alignment, any modifications and so on.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
p/s fluid level

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Recommend a read of your owner's manual for this. A preview:

"Power Steering
Note
The flow noise heard at full steering lock is system related and does not indicate a defect in the steering system.
Checking hydraulic fluid
The reservoir is in the engine compartment.
Regular checking of hydraulic fluid is part of servicing.
Please observe the chapter “WORKING IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT” on Page 172."

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this from slight inputs are severe changes in direction? The latter is somewhat normal and even could be caused by cold weather on the parts including tires. But if everything else is the same as always then you need to get it checked out. There are a number of things to look for but if you can explain some more perhaps it will be easier to recommend something. To start, no change in tires or wheels, miles on the car, last alignment, any modifications and so on.
slight movement +consistently turning to left or right...the sound occurs.
1)have same tyres on
2)no alignment needed or mods done.
3)it has got down to 3 degrees outside lately from 10 to 14 though.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Have you ever found out what caused that?? I think I have the same problem now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts