Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday my wife drove our Cayman S into town ,parked the car and returned about 20 minutes later . When she tried to start the car she couldn't turn the key and a message on the display said "steering locked" . She tried moving the steering wheel but that didn't help. She then took out the manual and tried all the recommended steps to unlock the steering . That didn't help either.
Finally ,in desperation she called our area Porsche dealer and was told to be very aggressive and give the wheel a good yank. She did, the steering wheel unlocked and she was able to drive off.

Couldn't find this problem on the forum but just wanted to make everyone aware of it .

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
I had that happen not long after I got my car - I was baffled why it wouldn't start, and it took me a while to notice a message on the instrument panel which said: "Relieve Steering". When I disengaged the steering lock by turning the wheel, I was then able to start it.

To prevent it you need to avoid turning the steering wheel after you remove the key.

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
To prevent it you need to avoid turning the steering wheel after you remove the key.
...and let the steering wheel settle before you remove the key.

Your steering wheel shouldn't be straining against the lock when you remove the key. Especially when "curbing" your wheels.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
Pretty normal with all European cars.
american also...automatics can torque lock in park ..like dave said...relax before removing key

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank You !
I did learn something - to straighten the wheel you have to be moving forward. When I was rolling back it just wouldnt unlock as soon as friends where pushing the car forward the wheels straightened out and unlocked.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Another strange fault...If you set the hand brake before coming to a full stop....you will get a ugly message in the instrument read out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts