Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Cayman GT4
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2006 Cayman S with Tiptronic as a track car. The steering wheel switches do not work and I suspect the later model wheel with the round centre is the culprit. Does anyone know the correct part number for the "Electronic unit multi-function" with just tiptronic for the original 2006 unit. I will most likely change the wheel as I do not need an airbag, but I need the correct electronics, to wire switches to.

Conversion to a manual is at least a year away, so i would like to change and hold gears.

A video of me last weekend on the track at Mt Panorama, Bathurst, Australia is here.
https://youtu.be/ef3P5Qvvzh8

·
Registered
2016 Cayman GT4
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had a look at the parts diagrams and vendor sites. I also arranged for the car to be hooked up to an AutoLogic unit, which could see all the gearbox functions but not the steering wheel switches. it looks like there are two electronic units around: the early model 997 613 445 02/03 and the later model 997 613 297 02. Has anyone done an upgrade and have an old 997 613 445 02 or 03 lying around that I could purchase?

·
Registered
2016 Cayman GT4
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Steering Wheel Electronic Unit 2006 S Fixing Tiptronic Switching

I have had look around the forums, and the PET. I am going ahead and ordering an electronic unit and the cable. Part of the problem is that the car is a mix of an Australian delivered auto and a USA delivered manual so parts come from both. The parts pile has the bare triangular steering wheel shell so I am going ahead on the basis that this was the configuration that wil communicate with the tiptronic. I have confirmed that the gear selector stick selects the manual mode as it holds the gear when moved across. However it will change up at high revs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can't help you on the part number, but have you considered the swap to the Mercedes paddles? Did that on my 05S and couldn't be happier. While it might not shift faster I do like the control better and no more accidentally hitting the factory tip buttons.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Cayman GT4
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thaks for the suggestion. It turns out that the clockspring was broken internally and no signal was coming thorough. Changed the clockspring and it all came to life, easy to tell as the buttons illuminated with the lights on. I had it at Sydney Motorsport Park a couple of weeks ago and having gears was a considerable improvement. Not sure about the up and down buttons with gloves on. My 2010 Cayman road car has PDK and the front and rear shifting is hard to mess up. I drove a paddle shift Volvo S60 in Germany for 2 weeks in August and one paddle was up and one was down so that worked well and the paddles moved with the wheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts