Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife had been using hand sanitizer with sparkles in it which have caused the steering wheel (Sport design wheel) to lose dye in places as well as imbed these sparkles. I've tried using leather cleaner to no avail. Is there a product out there that can replace missing dye?

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
A couple months ago I re-dyed a couple old Eames lounge chairs using a kit from these guys Leather Furniture Repair, Leather Furniture Restoration, Leather Repair Service, Leather Furniture Refinishing, Leather Furniture Cleaning, Leather Sofa Repair, Leather Upholstery Repair, Since 1898, Hamilton, Oakville, Toronto, Ontario. The leather had been extremely UV faded but was otherwise in good condition. The dye I chose was much darker than the original (mainly because the color charts that had on their web site were slightly off), but it looks fantastic. In you case - black is black. The level of sheen might not match exactly.

I've been very impressed with how well the new finish has held-up, even in the wear areas like arm rests. However we don't use those chairs very much, as compared to a steering wheel. I don't know how well it will hold-up in a car with oily hands gripping it. The above site also sells automotive leather restoration, but I think you'd be better off going to a local shop that does leather repair and reupholstery.
It should be pretty cheap since it is such a small surface area. And black should be easy to match.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Personally I would not try a DIY dye job on my car. Steering wheels have got to be covered in hand oils and if that is not properly removed prior to re-dying then the dye won't last. Having said that about the wheel, I might try to do a minor re-dye say on the edge of a seat bolster.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.