Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After doing a search on this topic I learned a couple things:

1. There are a good number of 987 owners who feel their steering wheel is too thin.
2. The only fix for a perceived thin steering wheel is to buy a different one for huge money!

I belong to the "steering wheel is too thin" camp. I have a 2007 Cayman S with whatever was the standard steering wheel for that model. I was watching a youtube video reviewing a 2008 Cayman S, and the owner, in the course of the video, mentioned sending his steering wheel in to have it thickened, but he did not go into any detail. So I don't know if he sent it to Porsche or an aftermarket place. In any event, I don't want to remove my steering wheel. I don't trust my steering-wheel-removal skills. So how can I thicken my steering wheel? I found wheelskins.com but they said their leather skins will not significantly increase the thickness. I suppose I could buy four skins, but that seems like a half-*** solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaHteRAkhjA
(go to 1:08) PS... I have the same steering wheel as what's in the video.

Has anyone found a way to increase the thickness of their steering wheel without installing a completely different steering wheel? If so, please share what you did!

Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
After doing a search on this topic I learned a couple things:

1. There are a good number of 987 owners who feel their steering wheel is too thin.
2. The only fix for a perceived thin steering wheel is to buy a different one for huge money!

I belong to the "steering wheel is too thin" camp. I have a 2007 Cayman S with whatever was the standard steering wheel for that model. I was watching a youtube video reviewing a 2008 Cayman S, and the owner, in the course of the video, mentioned sending his steering wheel in to have it thickened, but he did not go into any detail. So I don't know if he sent it to Porsche or an aftermarket place. In any event, I don't want to remove my steering wheel. I don't trust my steering-wheel-removal skills. So how can I thicken my steering wheel? I found wheelskins.com but they said their leather skins will not significantly increase the thickness. I suppose I could buy four skins, but that seems like a half-*** solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaHteRAkhjA (go to 1:08) PS... I have the same steering wheel as what's in the video.

Has anyone found a way to increase the thickness of their steering wheel without installing a completely different steering wheel? If so, please share what you did!

Thanks!
I have used Wheelskins for years, as I prefer a thicker wheel. It has been a real thickness improvement on my 987 - well worth the money. Still, a bit more would be helpful for my arthritic hands on long drives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have used Wheelskins for years, as I prefer a thicker wheel. It has been a real thickness improvement on my 987 - well worth the money. Still, a bit more would be helpful for my arthritic hands on long drives.
Interesting. So you feel the steering wheel is noticeably thicker with the wheelskin installed? When I spoke to wheelskins, the woman didn't think I would feel any noticeable difference in thickness.

Did you get perforated or standard leather?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Interesting. So you feel the steering wheel is noticeably thicker with the wheelskin installed? When I spoke to wheelskins, the woman didn't think I would feel any noticeable difference in thickness.

Did you get perforated or standard leather?
Thickness increase is slight, but noticable to me. Makes the wheel easier to grip, I have used both smooth and perforated. Prefer perforated - again for grip. I do wish it was twice the additional thickness. If you do try, allow yourself a couple of hours to install and be meticulous and patient, especially. around the spokes. . I think it is worth it. Had them in all my cars for years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
832 Posts
Wish I could help. This always bugged me on my 987. Not only did it feel too thin, I noticed that the bottom half of the wheel was thicker than the top half. What's up with that? Fortunately this was solved on my 981. Good luck with your hunt.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could someone who has a thicker steering wheel either from Dallas Custom or ordered from Porsche please measure the diameter of your wheel at 10 o'clock. If you have the bump outs at 10 and 2 o'clock, please measure at 12 o'clock. I'm trying to get an idea how much thicker a "thicker" steering wheel is compared to my 987CS standard steering wheel.

Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Could someone who has a thicker steering wheel either from Dallas Custom or ordered from Porsche please measure the diameter of your wheel at 10 o'clock. If you have the bump outs at 10 and 2 o'clock, please measure at 12 o'clock. I'm trying to get an idea how much thicker a "thicker" steering wheel is compared to my 987CS standard steering wheel.

Thanks!
I had mine replaced with a smooth leather thicker flat bottom wheel which gives a little bit more room for my legs.

The thin oem wheel gives the classic look and the new thicker wheel gives the modern look.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,837 Posts
For $60 or so, and an hour or two of your time and effort, why not try the Wheelskins product? It'll add about 1/8" overall thickness (i.e. cross-section) to the steering wheel, which is noticeable, and provide a more pliable feel.
I've purchased and installed Wheelskins on two of my BMWs, and I like the difference it makes. They make a fine quality product. If you don't think that +1/8" is thick enough to meet your requirements, I'm sure you could call them and solicit their help to find a solution.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm definitely leaning toward the Wheelskin product, but I have my doubts it will provide enough thickness. So I'm considering either buying two Wheelskins to place over the top of one another, or finding a foam-type 3M tape to wrap around the wheel then put the wheelskin over the top.

But calling wheelskin is a good idea. I'll give them a call this week and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have Wheelskins on all my cars. I think you will like it and I'm not sure the skin will fit properly if you try to put a layer underneath to make it even thicker.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have Wheelskins on all my cars. I think you will like it and I'm not sure the skin will fit properly if you try to put a layer underneath to make it even thicker.
Would require a larger size. Wheelskins could probably provide guidance.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's what I've decided to attempt.

I purchased some 1/8" thick (about 1/2" wide) weather stripping (advertised to remain supple and not crack even at sub-zero temperatures). I tentatively wrapped it across the top of my steering wheel. The thickness was perfect! After consulting with Wheelskins, I ordered an appropriate size wheelskin (perforated). Since the thickness of the wheel with the weather stripping was perfect, I'm a little concerned the wheel may be a bit too thick after the wheelskin is installed, but we'll see!

Once I get the wheelskins and the weather gets a bit warmer, I'll get started on the installation. I'll post pictures and provide a review, whether results are good or bad.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here's what I've decided to attempt.

I purchased some 1/8" thick (about 1/2" wide) weather stripping (advertised to remain supple and not crack even at sub-zero temperatures). I tentatively wrapped it across the top of my steering wheel. The thickness was perfect! After consulting with Wheelskins, I ordered an appropriate size wheelskin (perforated). Since the thickness of the wheel with the weather stripping was perfect, I'm a little concerned the wheel may be a bit too thick after the wheelskin is installed, but we'll see!

Once I get the wheelskins and the weather gets a bit warmer, I'll get started on the installation. I'll post pictures and provide a review, whether results are good or bad.
I suspect it will work out fine. Most weather strip will compress just a bit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm very happy with my Dallas steering wheel, one of the best mods I've done. Look and feel are a huge improvement over the stock. 4 5/8" circumference all around
. Steering wheel thickness.jpg

Reactions: Chris_R and BeemaaP

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm very happy with my Dallas steering wheel, one of the best mods I've done. Look and feel are a huge improvement over the stock. 4 5/8" circumference all around
. View attachment 188377
I think once the weather stripping (+1/4") and wheelskin (+1/8") is installed, I'll be pretty close to 4 5/8", given the stock wheel is 4 1/4". Good to hear you like the 4 5/8" circumference. Thanks for taking the time to measure.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Before I start this post I want to thank Wheelskins for their outstanding customer support. They truly value customer satisfaction. When I had questions, my emails were answer same day. When I screwed up my the order, they sent out the correct wheelskin before I even had the incorrect one in the mail. I paid no restocking fees. An absolutely wonderful company to deal with. Thank you!

I've finished my steering wheel thickening project, and I am very pleased with how it turned out! The wheel is now not only thicker and softer, it feels so much nicer in my hands. There's a couple things I'm not totally pleased with, but, overall, I think it turned out wonderfully.

I'm not the best at explaining stuff like this, but I'll give it a try. The process is pretty straight forward. I wrapped a weather stripping around the steering wheel then installed a Wheelskin (wheelskins.com) over the weather stripping. Photos should provide a good idea what I did.

Parts I used:
One and a half packages of weather stripping (specifics in photo)
Black wheelskin (14.75" diameter, 4.25" circumference, perforated sides) with included needle and thread
Magnifying, palm-size mirror from my wife's bathroom drawer (don't tell her)
Scissors
Painter's tape to wrap around my pinky finger
General cleaner to clean the steering wheel before starting

IMG_2876.JPG The weather stripping I used.

IMG_2884.JPG The stripping can be torn in half, which I did. The smaller strip allowed for an easier wrapping of the wheel, but not halving it would work fine too.

IMG_2877.JPG

IMG_2881.JPG

IMG_2882.JPG When I got to the spokes, I cut the strip and wrapped it about half the way around the wheel. I also had to cut the strips wrapped tight to the sides of the spokes because they showed when I attached the wheelskin. If I did it again. I would wrap the weather stripping to about a quarter inch of the spoke.

IMG_2885.JPG

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,837 Posts
I'm glad you're happy with the results, and looking forward to seeing pictures of the final product!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts