Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
IMG_2904.JPG Here is where the mirror comes in handy. When sewing the wheelskin you'll need to find the needle holes in the rear of the steering wheel. The mirror (try to get one that magnifies) was a huge help.

IMG_2906.JPG IMG_2907.JPG When I got all the way around to the 3:00 spoke (I started at about 7:00), I realized the amount of wheelskin covering the left spoke was substantially less than on the right spoke, so I removed all the stitching (about an hour's worth of work) to fix the problem. I realized when I pulled the thread to tighten (and it really needs to be pulled hard) the lacing and bring the two ends of the wheelskin together, I was pulling the thread toward me. Because I was pulling the thread toward me the wheelskin was slowly rotating on the steering wheel. So when I got to the other spoke, the wheel skin rotated about an eighth to a quarter of an inch. Fixing this also gave me the opportunity to adjust where the seam fell on the steering wheel. I originally had it a bit more forward.

IMG_2910.JPG IMG_2911.JPG To make sure there was no shifting, I counted out the stitch holes (don't get that part wrong!) to each spoke and using some string temporarily but tightly attached the wheelskin so it covered the same area on each spoke. I also pulled the thread toward the center of the steering wheel rather than toward me.

IMG_2914.JPG Here is one of the things that bugs me a bit. On the bottom spoke the wheelskin bunches up. I'm not sure if this is because the circumference (determined by the diameter measurement I gave wheelskins.com) of the wheelskin was too much or if the wheelskin stretched. I know I got all the stitch holes right, so I don't think that's the problem. It's not a big deal... just kinda bugs me.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
IMG_2916.JPG Final product!

IMG_2917.JPG Circumference is between 4 1/2" to 4 5/8" depending where the finger indentation is on the original steering wheel.

IMG_2920.JPG The other issue, which is just part of the product, is the small bump I feel with the seam of the wheelskin. Again, not a big deal and I'm sure I'll get over it.

IMG_2921.JPG I ended up with extra weather stripping. If anyone wants it, it's yours. Just pay me for shipping. Also, I ended up with about four feet of extra thread. So you can use that to sew the spoke area.

Overall... I am super happy with how it turned out!

·
Registered
48 Posts
View attachment 189057 Final product!

View attachment 189065 Circumference is between 4 1/2" to 4 5/8" depending where the finger indentation is on the original steering wheel.

View attachment 189073 The other issue, which is just part of the product, is the small bump I feel with the seam of the wheelskin. Again, not a big deal and I'm sure I'll get over it.

View attachment 189081 I ended up with extra weather stripping. If anyone wants it, it's yours. Just pay me for shipping. Also, I ended up with about four feet of extra thread. So you can use that to sew the spoke area.

Overall... I am super happy with how it turned out!
Your second and third Wheelskins will go much better. Mine has no bunching, but no weatherstrip either. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Like I mentioned before, I’ve had them in all my cars for years. Very cost effective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Your second and third Wheelskins will go much better.
I chuckled when I read this because, while it seems like a pretty straightforward process, it took me over a day to get done!
I got the holes wrong.
The thread bunched up and tangled on me.
I would complete a stitch only to realize it is wrapped around the steering wheel.
I would go about an inch then realize the stitches were wrong.
The thread would get wrapped around the emergency brake or seat adjustment lever.

Did you have those issues, or do I simply have two left hands!

·
Registered
48 Posts
It takes a long time. I take breaks because it is kinda difficult working the bottom of the wheel in your lap.

Yes, I had all of those issues the first time - and still irritate the heck out of myself stitching around the steering wheel.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,837 Posts
It takes a long time. I take breaks because it is kinda difficult working the bottom of the wheel in your lap.

Yes, I had all of those issues the first time - and still irritate the heck out of myself stitching around the steering wheel.

I found that by using a hook-shaped pick, I could make several stitches in a row and then tighten them one at a time with the pick. It's the same principle as using a "ice skate lacing hook". That saved me a considerable amount of time -- and my fingers -- in the overall process. Of course, this lesson was learned painfully by my third wheel skin installation.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I found that by using a hook-shaped pick, I could make several stitches in a row and then tighten them one at a time with the pick. It's the same principle as using a "ice skate lacing hook". That saved me a considerable amount of time -- and my fingers -- in the overall process. Of course, this lesson was learned painfully by my third wheel skin installation.
I thought about getting a curved or hook-shaped needle, but was too lazy to run to the store. In retrospect... I should have gone to the store!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Steering wheel wrapped today.. $75, they added 1/2 filler/padding around the steering wheel. Saved me about $800 on an aftermarket one.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts