Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys apologies if this is common knowledge but was wondering if Porsche offers a carbon fiber/alcantara steering wheel for their cars. I love the wheel that's in the Spyder but for a touch more exotic feeling and to go with my car's interior I was wondering if there was an option like that.

Cheers!

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
if you have a PDK... your pretty much limited.. but there are options.. if you have a stick.. the options open up...even the gt4 wheel is available.. it is not an easy swap.. cause your gonna need a new airbag..and the wheel itself.. Plus if you have a PDK.. your gonna have to have the dealer do it because there are a lot of code they have to reprogram into the ECU..

2cents
Lemon

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have a Spyder so it's a manual. I already have the GT4 wheel (sans the alcantara) the smaller radius one I believe. Just wondering if there was a CF option and alcantara wrap.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The standard 981 Spyder wheel is alcantara. Yours must have been spec-ed with the optional leather(?)
Suncoast sells an alcantara GT4/Spyder wheel but looks like it would be an expensive upgrade.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The standard 981 Spyder wheel is alcantara. Yours must have been spec-ed with the optional leather(?)
Suncoast sells an alcantara GT4/Spyder wheel but looks like it would be an expensive upgrade.
Really? That is news to me actually. I think I will disagree however. I don't have leather at least it don't feel like leather lol. I got the LWBS and the carbon trim that's pretty much the standout interior features in the car.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I believe that some places, e.g. MACarbon, will take am existing wheel and upgrade it with CF....not sure if this I should an option for the GT4/Spyder wheel though. Let us know what you find out if you look into it.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe that some places, e.g. MACarbon, will take am existing wheel and upgrade it with CF....not sure if this I should an option for the GT4/Spyder wheel though. Let us know what you find out if you look into it.
yeah I found them but they must be smoking some major hallucinogens for me to pay that price lol. I am gonna reach out to my friend who works at Hennessy Porsche here in Atlanta and see what he says. But I will keep you posted for sure.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Alcantara was standard on the Spyder, with no choice to have the cross-laced stitching match the car's deviating stitching, nor an option for a colored 12 o' clock stripe (had the option of Yellow 12 o'clock on the GT4 ONLY if you had yellow deviated stitching).

If you want just an alcantara wheel, that's pretty easy to get. If you want a custom CF wheel, it's not cheap because of the labor involved. There's a TON of labor involved in CF production, and that's what you're paying for. Until regular CF can be made like CFRP (and CFRP is still to get cheaper), those prices will remain as high as they are. There's too much that can be screwed up, and lots of skilled human intervention is still involved.

My plan is to have the silver/grey cross-lace with red 12 o'clock stripe. Going to remove the wheel itself (just the rim) from a 991.2 GT3 wheel once those are available, and transplant it, since I don't want the darker GT trim of the 991.2 GT3 wheel. Some assembly required, but OEM quality and "easy" to replace with yet more OEM parts.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Here's the standard wheel - dark grey Alcantara with matching shifter boot, door panels, arm rest, seat inserts, etc. That is what mine has.
Is your wheel cover different?
Leather was an option. Some people would actually prefer it, because Alcantara does take far, far, far more care and effort to keep clean (and if you're lax, not ruin). Likely what he has for a showroom car. Dealers are very aware of the likelihood of complaints of customers coming in with a ruined steering wheel (or other touch points) on a car they bought out of a showroom.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Well I have a Spyder so it's a manual. I already have the GT4 wheel (sans the alcantara) the smaller radius one I believe. Just wondering if there was a CF option and alcantara wrap.
If you want something completely out in left field I will trade you for my Sport Design wheel? It is wrapped in Alcantara... let me know! ;)

OR maybe check out these guys, they will take you leather wheel and cover it in Alcantara: Dallas Custom Steering Wheel

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's the standard wheel - dark grey Alcantara with matching shifter boot, door panels, arm rest, seat inserts, etc. That is what mine has.
Is your wheel cover different?
Interesting for sure. Nope I don't have that aclantara wrap. I will take a pic when I get home :) also is that trim CF in your car? I can't tell from the pic if it's just like a gloss piano black finish or if that's carbon fiber.

Cheers

·
Registered
132 Posts
Interesting for sure. Nope I don't have that aclantara wrap. I will take a pic when I get home :) also is that trim CF in your car? I can't tell from the pic if it's just like a gloss piano black finish or if that's carbon fiber. Cheers
Digi - that is a stock photo. Looking at the rest of the vehicle, I believe that the trim is gloss black not CF. I didn't have a picture of mine handy, but it is identical (other than my trim is white!).

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Center console

Digi - that is a stock photo. Looking at the rest of the vehicle, I believe that the trim is gloss black not CF. I didn't have a picture of mine handy, but it is identical (other than my trim is white!).
Here is mine. CF trim and LWBS and the steering wheel is just plain. Not wrapped in leather or alcantara.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.