Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the wheel, but not the peeling. I got the car like this so not sure what caused it. Any remedies for this besides replacing the whole
wheel?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
That is disheartening. I know it is not made of metal, but painted plastic? Really?

Sorry to hear that, at this point the suggestion above ^ seems like the best way to proceed. Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the exact same problem. I think I'm going to disassemble the wheel, sand down the peeling parts and then wrap the wheel in a 3M product (either brushed aluminum or carbon fiber, haven't decided).
please post pics and progress if you do. i need to figure something out as well

·
Registered
444 Posts
Be careful disassembling the steering wheel. This model is not easily taken apart. The plastic trim can break if forced too hard.
There maybe some videos out there on how to do it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
For what that wheel costs putting that much more into new trim in replacement of factory trim that should not have failed would aggravate me.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Totally agree with Boris. How much more would it cost Porsche to make this and many other interior parts from aluminum for example?

I also think that hot climates such as southern USA put a lot more stress on interiors of cars. Sagging headliner is another example. I’ve never seen a case of that here in Canada 😝.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I agree with your assessment of weather related stressors olegd. However, I believe Porsche can do much better, they're just trying to keep the profits high. The leather used on the sport seats in my 944 was far superior to the 986 seat, quality overall was not even close. Porsche should have asked Saab to make their leather seats, those still smelled like my grandfather's shoe shop after five years and were made of exceptional leather. The headliner sagging is unacceptable too, most of these cars are pampered, that's what I expect to see on a five year old Rio not a Porsche.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I havent had the headliner issue yet, but I have had the dreaded door panel issue as well (which I had the dealer fix as part of purchase). It definitely is crazy that a brand like Porsche would have these issues.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
For what that wheel costs putting that much more into new trim in replacement of factory trim that should not have failed would aggravate me.
I get your point, and many things could have been better. The paint is too soft, the glue is not strong enough, and the plastics are too weak. I’ve heard someone else say that these could all be up to environmental regulations in the EU and I think there may be something true about that. The paint on my F150 built in the USA is a lot harder and the plastics bake in the sun on millions of trucks on job sites with no problems.

However, when I upgrade my machinery I do it because it makes me happy. My car wasn’t $300k and I expect that some things are going to be compromises. I don’t like the silver plastic trim so my aim is to get rid of it all. I will eventually replace the seat backs with CF too.

I don’t think of it as “I shouldn’t have to do this because Porsche blah blah etc” so much as an opportunity to personalize the car in a way that I like.

If I didn’t want to spend the money on real CF, then I would take the plastic surround off, sand it down, and wrap it in fake CF. Shouldn’t cost more than $15.

·
Registered
990 Posts
For such a premier expensive brand, the common interior failures are many. Sagging head liners, peeling AC controls, warped door panels, drop down window issues etc... Great cars overall but Porsche should really examine more closely the materials they use. IMHO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts