Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on replacing my steering wheel tonight assuming I get my 12 mm, 1/2" Drive, Triple Square Metric Bit Socket in the mail today.
All the articles I have read say to remove the key before you disconnect the battery, the service manual says to leave the key in.
Does it even matter?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
i disconnected the battery

yes, leave the key in in case your steering wheel locks. but not a big deal

I got my 12 star hex key at sears.

Push on the air bag when you try to pop it out. DO NOT PULL.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i disconnected the battery

yes, leave the key in in case your steering wheel locks. but not a big deal

I got my 12 star hex key at sears.

Push on the air bag when you try to pop it out. DO NOT PULL.
Thanks Tomasz, your comment on the article pointed me in the right direction re the key, I could only find the kit at Sears for $60, I was able to find the 12 mm key for $10 + $7.50 shipping at toolrage.com.
I practiced on my replacement wheel, so I think I'll be good to go.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I am pretty sure I paid the $60. Was anxious to get the wheel on. Now I have a set that I never use...

I used the articles. The only hint - is push the airbag in while trying to pop it out. It helps the bracket to open.

·
Registered
41 Posts
All the steering wheel instructions I've seen are for the sport wheel. Do the instructions differ at all for the non-sport (triangular airbag) wheel?

Specifically, is there still a small hole on the back of the lower spoke where I press to remove the airbag? Also, can I still leave the trim piece in place to remove the airbag?

Thank you!
Kevin

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There isn't a difference in the regular and sport steering wheel. Get a medium sized screw driver that fits in the hole. Turn the blade vertical and push up. It may take a few tries but it will come loose.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I went to Sears yesterday, they had a Torx kit for $29.95. Does the T55 bit work? I bought the tech carbon wheel from Suncoast. Anyone interested in the carbon shifter and e-brake handle? Trim in stone grey.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts