Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to incorporate stereo bluetooth to my iphone. One can either use a dongle or the new 3.0 software natively does stereo bluetooth.

I do not want an FM transmitter though, since the quality is not good enough for me. Also, I still want to use the native iphone controls and voice control that it provides. I am only interested in car audio, I don't need a microphone or anything like that for phone calls. The Denison (a) does not allow me to use my iphone voice controls and (b) is kind of expensive and time consuming for what my needs are.

Can I just hook up something to the line in (I have a PCM), like this:
Amazon.com: Plantronics Stereo Bluetooth Headset, Pulsar 260: Cell Phones & Service

This is not the best solution since I would still need to get power to it. But is there a simple little unit that will just plug into a line in (not even sure if there is a line in) and a way to power it? That would essentially get me everything I need.

THanks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So here is what I am thinking.

If I get a hardwired fm modulator:
Amazon.com: Scosche FM-MOD02 FM Modulator for iPod, Satellite Radio or Portable Music Player: Electronics

This will splice into the antenna setup. Then feed this into the plantronics unit above.

Issues:
- I would guess the splicing of the fm modulator would be easy, provided I can get to the PCM in the first place. How hard is it to access everything back?
- How difficult is it to get power to the fm modulator? Is there something back there that will easily feed it?
- I would run the line out to the center console and attach the plantronics bluetooth there. I still need to get power to the plantronics, which can be done via mini-usb car power adapter. But if I left this on all the time, would it suck the main battery juice? (kinda like how the V1 sucks the juice). Or is this so low power that it would not happen? I am concerned I will forget to turn the plantronics unit on and off.

The final product would be quite cheap and allow me to have a bluetooth setup for car stereo. However, I would not have mic input, so phone calls could not be done via this method.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm trying to connect iPhone to PCM via Bluetooth as well. Please keep us updated and take some pictures while you're at it.

While I'm waiting for someone to figure things out, I will just use Motorola T505 in-car Bluetooth. It connects to iPhone via Bluetooth and sends the signal to PCM via FM. Not the best method out there, but I heard this device is superior than most of the FM module.

Someone please figure out how to hard-wire a Bluetooth receiver to PCM!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have to admit that Im really confused about exactly what your end requirement is. If you connect the scosche why would you even bother with the bluetooth? You can get an ipod adapter for the scocshe though since the unit is so old it may not be 100% iphone compatible. There are other better units in other threads that also supply RDS to your PCM. Hooking the system up is easy, once the stereo is out it takes about 2 minutes plus whatever time to run a line to switched power. There are several articles in the article section that will walk you through it. With that scosche, you will also need antenna adapters for us-european conversion - all of which can be bought through crutchfield or amazon (probably through crutchfield anyway). I would not connect anything that stays on but you shouldn't have to, the car has switched power.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tme, by ipod adapter do you mean the one with a cord?

I do not want to hook up any cords to the iphone itself. The objective of the FM modulator is to simulate a line in. The objective of the plantronics unit is to talk wirelessly to the iphone. Everything is controlled via iphone then. The problem with the corded solution is that its difficult to change songs and do things while you are driving. Without the cord I can easily control things and still use the voice control as well. Does this make more sense? Can you think of better ways to do this?

Thanks for the tip about the antenna, I did not realize this. I figured there were articles, but have not made it that far yet. Good to know its not too difficult to get at. I am still in the planning phase and want to think it out and get some opinions/options first.

Also, I tried the Moto T505 in my other car and it works quite well after properly positioned. I will try it out in the cayman this weekend, and maybe that is good enough. The good thing about that approach is I can do voice, which in the solution above I cannot. So its a bit of a give and take. The moto is a heck of a lot easier though.

·
Registered
671 Posts
ok, yea we were looking at different things. For me, the best part of getting my iphone to my car is that I can charge it. You really shouldnt cycle the battery any more then you need to. Also, I specifically want to keep use of the ipod for its own controls because it already has the best control setup. I already installed a parrot bluetooth adapter in the car but the engine was just too load for anyone to hear me over so I stopped using it. Plus, Im using a bluetooth headset for the first time now and I've noticed a def decrease in iphone battery life with bluetooth turned on.

but no, I dont have any better ideas for you - sorry...

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
From Apple re iPhone battery "For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)."

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yes I see that but that has no effect on what I was saying. (I still dont know if I fully buy that but ok) You should do that once a month and then not cycle it any more then you have to - these batteries only have so many cycles and battery life is inversely proportional to depth-of-discharge with an exponential effect. Of course, if you change your phone every year then it doesn't matter. I design spacecraft power systems for a living and am slightly familiar with making lithium-ion battery last. Though I admit batteries are a lot different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts