Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like other folks, I got plenty of letters and emails from the dealer selling an “Extended Warrantee,” really repair insurance, after the CPO coverage ended on my 2016 Cayman S. After a bit of research, I bought a package from Safe-Guard through my Porsche service shop. Not the dealer, which sells similar products but at a higher markup.
A few months later, I started hearing a slight ticking on the left side. Quickly resulted in a CEL for a misfire and a couple of other scary codes for cyl 5. The shop determined a lifter was sticking and replaced both intake lifters.
Cost to me was $250; not almost $4,000. And I’m still covered for the remainder of the policy.
Pretty happy with the whole deal. Except having a sticking lifter at only 27,000 miles.
Without the insurance, it would be a much more negative post

·
Registered
2015 Boxster S Manual
138 Posts
Like other folks, I got plenty of letters and emails from the dealer selling an “Extended Warrantee,” really repair insurance, after the CPO coverage ended on my 2016 Cayman S. After a bit of research, I bought a package from Safe-Guard through my Porsche service shop. Not the dealer, which sells similar products but at a higher markup.
A few months later, I started hearing a slight ticking on the left side. Quickly resulted in a CEL for a misfire and a couple of other scary codes for cyl 5. The shop determined a lifter was sticking and replaced both intake lifters.
Cost to me was $250; not almost $4,000. And I’m still covered for the remainder of the policy.
Pretty happy with the whole deal. Except having a sticking lifter at only 27,000 miles.
Thanks for the info. How much was the Safe-Guard extended warranty?

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
907 Posts
Did your shop happen to change the coil packs at the same time?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Assuming you are not the first owner, any other warning signs that the car could have been abused? IOW, is this something related to older low mileage cars, or normal occurrences due to low mileage?
No signs, no clue; this was surprising and disappointing.
I got it in 2020, almost 4 years exactly after service date; it had 16,000 miles. The car appeared new and had excellent service history. In 2 1/2 years I've added 11,000, with recommended Porsche service. Quite a few of these are track miles; I do 5-8 track days a year.
That being said, I don't consider it abuse. Completely stock car, street tires and brakes, intermediate level driving; if this car can't take it, then which can? Race circuit use is discussed in the manual.
My shop says this engine is pretty bullet proof, one they see the least. When I asked, they said they've seen this, but not very often.
As noted, I was disappointed. This is my first Porsche; not sure where I'll go from here. In decades owning and thrashing BMW's the only problem I had was a failed water pump.
Complicated mechanical systems have failures. Was this just out on the end of the MTBF curve or more common?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My exact experience with a 2005 Boxster base at 27K miles (non track miles)...a check engine light came on, called dealer and went through a discussion as to what was happening and they rec'd to bring the car in. On the way the clicking sound of the stuck lifter (left bank) emerged making a huge racket. I stopped car & had it towed in. No extended warranty and $4500 later the car was repaired with no explanation as to the reason other than 'parts failure'.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting. Yeah, it would good to understand the failure mode.
Attached is a pic of the lifters. I'm not familiar with the Porsche cam actuation but it seems obvious hydraulic pressure acutates the inner diameter. This inner diameter is what is stuck. One you can move with your finger, the other, no way.
Automotive tire Camera lens Household hardware Cameras & optics Camera accessory

1 - 10 of 10 Posts