Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, this may be a stupid comparison, but since these two cars are so similarly priced, do you foresee the Corvette Stingray becoming a problem for the Cayman? What if...well...what if the Stingray is good?!?! It certainly looks beautiful and from the "on paper" stats, it should be a FAST car. Don't get me wrong, you simply can't beat the refinement and class that Porsche offers, but there's just something about the Stingray that makes me want to drive it.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
There has always been some overlap between the two markets, but for the most part there have been Vette guys and 911 guys for over 40 years. I cross shopped both the 911 and Vette a looooooooong time ago and bought a '67 C2 Vette. It had a 327 ci engine, 350 HP engine, 4 barrel Holley, disc brakes on all four wheels, and was very competitive with the 911 on a road circuit and much faster than a 911 at the dragstrip. The Vette also was priced much lower than a 911, just like today. Unfortunately I wasn't happy with the C3 design which made the Vette a bigger car, and then in the early 70s the Vette was emasculated by Insurance companies and federal emission standards. So I became a 911 guy back in the '70s.
There will always be a special place in my heart for the Corvette, but I could never see myself buying a new one for several reasons: poor Chevy service in my area being primary.

·
Chesapeake Region Member
217 Posts
Depends on which one imprinted your psyche. Personally, for me it was the Porsche. I was just a very young 19 in '82 when I got behind the wheel of a 1973 914 2.0 H4. That visceral experience made me a Porsche fan for the rest of my life. So much that it made me want one from then on. 30 years later, my dream came true.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I too will be interested to see what happens with the C7 generation. Corvette has taken a bit of a gamble in the design direction. Trying to attact buyers outside the traditional, 'older' group yet the discretionary income of that group may make the buy a bit difficult. As for me........I owned a C5 after a life long desire to have a Corvette after sitting in a 1963 Split Window in a showroom as a 16 year old teenager. That C5 really was a pretty fine car and lived up to my fantasies. At the time, though, I noted that it drove bigger and heavier than its actual size. My wife used to comment the same. Subsequent to that, we bought and had at the same time a 2000 Audi S4, then replaced the Audi with a new at the time 2003 E46 M3. The comparisons started to creep in and and became less enamored with the C5. In 2009, I decided to try my other life long desire to own a Porsche and after many test drives of 911s, Boxsters and Caymans bought a left over 2008 CS. All others before it in our car lives fell behind. That CS was replaced by my current CR. If the good Lord permits, I will continue with the Porsche pattern eventually when I decided to replace the CR. I will probably test drive a C7 because I love doing things like that but would probably struggle with a purchase.....one of the main reasons, honestly, even if it really can perform is the style direction. It is 458 Ferrari front (which I do think is ok) meets Camaro on steroids (which I really do not care fo..........).

·
Registered
282 Posts
Different kind of buyer, i think.

I used to be American muscle guy, but now i own a CS i would struggle to go back.
Agreed, my problem with the Corvette is that while it is an awesome drive, it is so cheaply built that I was at the dealers almost every month to get something fixed or replaced. Now with my Porsche the only time I go to the dealers is for routine service-nothing has been fixed or replaced:banana:

Also the vette acts just like a 911; the rear end was as lose as my first girlfriend! Talk about snap oversteer!

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Two different markets, but I give GM this, power for dollar ratio, no one comes close, no one. As a former Vette owner, my gripes were the interior, the fit and finish of whole car and my worst experience, the service.......never was I so put off by a service department that it eventually drove me away from the brand. Goes to prove how important dealers are to the factory. After my Vette experience I could never recommend Chevy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Based off everything everyone has said so far, I've come to the conclusion that no SANE man would forego the Cayman in exchange for the Stingray!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Each brand has its stong points and weak points, though those remain to be discovered for the new StingRay.
For every Chevy service horror story there are as many Porsche stories; likewise for good dealership stories.
You owe it to yourself to satisfy your curiosity and drive both before making a decision. I know a lot of P guys that have never driven a late model vette and would probably be very surprised by the vette's performance capabilities. Its not the Guido car it was stereotyped as in the 80s.
Porsche is more refined, but at the price you pay for comparable performance levels, I certainly expect it to be. Along with that refinement, I find the Porsche to be a little over-engineered and not as user friendly for doing self maintainance/mods/repairs.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Setting aside the issues of build quality, "heaviness", service, etc. the Vette and a 981 may both be 2-seat sports cars; but that's where the similarities end. They both go about their business of perf & handling via totally different methods. It's like comparing steak & potatoes to spaghetti carbonara - it's a matter of personal taste. If I could afford only one, it would be the 981. But that's just me; as I've been enamored with Porsche for years. For every guy like me, there's a Vette guy. If I could afford both, I'd give the C7 serious consideration; not because it is or isn't like a Porsche; but because it is a VETTE; which is a totally unique experience.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,784 Posts
There's just something thoroughly enthralling about it, right? I can't quite place my finger on it though... (Maybe I can place my finger on it, I hear it has push to start :taunt: )
Each brand has its stong points and weak points, though those remain to be discovered for the new StingRay.
For every Chevy service horror story there are as many Porsche stories; likewise for good dealership stories.
You owe it to yourself to satisfy your curiosity and drive both before making a decision. I know a lot of P guys that have never driven a late model vette and would probably be very surprised by the vette's performance capabilities. Its not the Guido car it was stereotyped as in the 80s.
Porsche is more refined, but at the price you pay for comparable performance levels, I certainly expect it to be. Along with that refinement, I find the Porsche to be a little over-engineered and not as user friendly for doing self maintainance/mods/repairs.
Setting aside the issues of build quality, "heaviness", service, etc. the Vette and a 981 may both be 2-seat sports cars; but that's where the similarities end. They both go about their business of perf & handling via totally different methods. It's like comparing steak & potatoes to spaghetti carbonara - it's a matter of personal taste. If I could afford only one, it would be the 981. But that's just me; as I've been enamored with Porsche for years. For every guy like me, there's a Vette guy. If I could afford both, I'd give the C7 serious consideration; not because it is or isn't like a Porsche; but because it is a VETTE; which is a totally unique experience.
Agreed to all of the above. I've never owned a Corvette, but I have owned four Porsches. I've often said that I'm not a Euro-snobby anti-American car guy, and if America would offer a quality-built, well balanced, relatively lightweight sports car that didn't rely on a huge engine to offset its deficiencies, I'd buy it. This latest C7 is intriguing to me, in that way. Since I don't want to be a hypocrite, I think it's worth an honest look.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I have never owned a Vette either, but have some close several times (C3 in the early 80s, late C4s (02s-06s) in the late 90s. I have never driven a C5 or C6, although when I was making the final decision on the Cayman I went to 2 dealers to look at 07s but no one wanted to talk to me much less give me a test drive (I was walking away from the 2nd one, and decided to go back in and ask for the sales manager, and reamed him in the middle of the sales floor in front of everyone).

And I still think one day I may own one.............

I will be doing the Bonduant advanced racing school next month, which is in C6 Grand Sports, so it will be very interesting to see how these cars really drive on the track.

What I have seen of the C7 is that they have fixed the interior, but the exterior is a little to Lambo Adventador for me, at least in the pictures.

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
I'm not sure if I've ever been to a GM shop for service, but I have to imagine that you'll pay 50% less for OE parts than you'll pay at a Porsche dealer.

Aftermarket parts can be had for a song for these cars. Exhausts aren't subject to the same "taxes" that the units for our cars are. Despite being made up of more material.

In the end, I think that whether these cars will be cross-shopped will come down to what the car is primarily being used for.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Now, this may be a stupid comparison, but since these two cars are so similarly priced, do you foresee the Corvette Stingray becoming a problem for the Cayman? What if...well...what if the Stingray is good?!?! It certainly looks beautiful and from the "on paper" stats, it should be a FAST car. Don't get me wrong, you simply can't beat the refinement and class that Porsche offers, but there's just something about the Stingray that makes me want to drive it.
Not a stupid comparison, and you may add the 911 too. Of course , quality of manufacturing and interior ergonomics are to be determined, but initially , the car looks real good to me.

Cheers.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,581 Posts
I like the look of the new Vette and on paper it is very impressive. I'm a Ford guy at heart when it comes to domestic cars. I may be doomed to buy a Vette
as I swore I'd never buy another Porsche! :hilarious:

·
Registered
282 Posts
To me the C7 vette looks silly in the way the late 90's Trans Am did-kinda redneck. However, as a past C6 owner, I can tell without a doubt the vette will give any Porsche a run for its' money in performance. What lets the vette down is that it is built with parts obtained from the lowest bidder - even worst it is serviced by dealers with untrained mechanics and minamin waged kids. I once saw those monkies washing a black on black vette with a push broom:crazy:

Anyway, you owe to yourself to a least own one vette to fulfill the bucket list:hilarious:

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
I am similarly intrigued by the car. I will test drive one to see what it feels like.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts