Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local group of car enthusiasts organized a dyno day. Unfortunately, they couldn't easily get access to the engine to read rpms. They tried reading from the power outlet, but it read 2k when I was actually at 3k, so the torque figures are way off. Did first two pulls in 5th and third in 4th.

yhXTvIh.jpg

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Approx 1200 miles on odometer. 74.38 deg F, 29.90 in-Hg, humidity 27%, SAE 0.98

·
Registered
296 Posts
That torque is absolutely incredible! The factory is rating the Cayman GTS engine at 280 ft/lbs.
Either your engine is highly modified, or Porsche is severely under-rating these "official" specs.

Either way, it's all good!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That torque is absolutely incredible! The factory is rating the Cayman GTS engine at 280 ft/lbs.
Either your engine is highly modified, or Porsche is severely under-rating these "official" specs.

Either way, it's all good!
Torque is computed from the rpms and they couldn't get a good read of the rpms

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a pic of my car strapped down
PMT5yeV.jpg

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Sorry but that dyno is useless since it was not set up properly plus.... No way you did 170mph on that dyno, and it should have been done in 3rd or 4th....definitely not 5th. Beautiful GTS though, congrats

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Sorry but that dyno is useless since it was not set up properly plus.... No way you did 170mph on that dyno, and it should have been done in 3rd or 4th....definitely not 5th. Beautiful GTS though, congrats
Top speed is over 175 mph. I don't see why that number is the one you take issue with. :) He said he did a run in 5th gear. Would 5th get you to 170?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
5th is closest to 1:1 being 0.95. Ignoring air resistance, it can theoretically hit 172 MPH. As noted, the 3rd run was done in 4th.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Thanks for posting.

There is something basically wrong though with the 4th gear run. It shows a completely different power profile.

I'm not sure the dyno was set up and calibrated correctly. It looks like its about 20HP too high from a calibrated number.

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts