Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the stock navigation system in the Cayman? I don't think I can go without a nav sys, so I wondering would it be beter to just install something like the alpine system with bluetooth and ipod or go with the stock sys?

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
How is the stock navigation system in the Cayman? I don't think I can go without a nav sys, so I wondering would it be beter to just install something like the alpine system with bluetooth and ipod or go with the stock sys?
I suppose it would depend on what version of PCM you have (2.1, 3.0). I have 3.0 on my 2009 CS and I would say the navigation abilities of the system are fairly competent - at least, it compares well to my Garmin Nuvi 760. The routes it calculates are almost identical to the Garmin.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on purchasing new I guess it would be 3.0. Thanks I want at least the same as the system I have in my M3 or better when I buy.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
I have the Generation 2.1 system and it works fine. I like the intregration into the instrument panel, etc.

However, for the cost, in hindsight, I would not order it. A good portable system is as, if not more competent, and costs 75% less.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I would order it as it nicely fills out the dash and has other neat features than just Navi. I'm not sure how it performs in the US, but in OZ is dead accurate better than any portable I've owned.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
For the cost, in hindsight, I would not order it. A good portable system is as, if not more competent, and costs 75% less.
My wife's car has an in-dash system. It looks nice but I prefer my Garmin portable systems to get me around.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
I have PCM 2.1 on my '08 Cayman. Like others here, I like its integration into the dash and also that it enabled me to utilize an integrated aftermarket solution to get satellite radio (i.e., I can select it just like other radio or CD using the PCM controls). This was not even an option in the Cayman until the '09 models came out.

The route guidance is pretty reliable so long as you realize the map is about 3 years out of date and apparently in no way can be updated. With a few of the interchanges in my neck of the woods being torn up and rebuilt with very different ramp layouts, at the very least it's best to turn off the annoying voice feature which starts getting frantic if you miss a now-non-existant turnoff. You'd think they could update the PCM 2.1 DVD with new maps but apparently that's not in the offing.

The two-dimensional look and the inability to show road names except on extreme map zoom does not help. The ability to display just directional info (straight, left, right or junction arrow) is nice, but also a really old looking feature as well. The PCM 3.0 in newer Porsches looks much better on all accounts. Too bad it can't be retrofitted into older models with PCM 2.1. (If it did it would cost the usual Porsche $$$$$)

Mapwise, the Garmins, Tom-Toms and even the new Magellans are prettier and easier to use, with up-to-date maps, 3-D renderings of the route, etc. I had the experience of having a built-in Garmin on my rental in Germany (the screen was built into the left side of the rear view mirror!!!!) and other than being too easy to turn off the GPS function, it worked really well, even in German. I'd think Porsche would be better off contracting with Garmin or Tom-Tom or one of the other companies for its future PCM's, and provide the updates using USB memory sticks instead of DVD's.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
PCM 3.0 combined with XM NavTraffic is extremely competent. Found places in rural Alabama that are not on any TomTom, found fastest routes on even small County roads. Autozoom feature very sweet. Auto recalculate in ver 3.0 good improvement over this feature in PCM 2.1.

Spouse says it beats nav system in his big Dodge Ram pickup.

And integration with the console is functional elegance.

I wouldn't consider buying a car without built-in nav again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the positive feedback on the newer version, I started to worry. BTW- if you want the stock nav sys do you have to pick the premium sound sys?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Have the nav in a 09 and love it. With XM traffic updates it saved me about an hour going from Phila to Providence by changing the routing for heavy traffic. Saved me time on a trip to Lime Rock too.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I've had the 2.1 in a 997 and currently have the 3.0 nav in my 09 CS. The old system was absolute ****. The new system is great and I love it even better than the system in the wife's 335 (which is also very good). Porsche really did well with the integration and usability in the new system. I'd highly recommend it.

·
Porsche Prophet
937 Posts
I have a 2008 Cayman with the navigation system 2.1 and coming from portable Garmin's in my other cars, I can honestly say that the best feature is that in integrated into the dash...the mapping is very rude and it is close to impossible to enter a point of destination, etc. I understand that the new 3.0 is touch screen and is run by satellite (GPS) and not CDs...it seems Porsche is always last when it comes to these things...

·
Registered
28 Posts
i thought I wanted an OEM Navi, but Porsche's is really hard to use. I have the 2.1 and the manual is as thick as the manual for the whole car and you really need to read it to use it. It is non-intuitive and pretty worthless, in my opinion. If I had it to do over, I'd get the standard and go aftermarket. As it is now, I carry my Garmin GPS in the car with me.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I have the OEM 3.0, and I like it. It's just as easy to use as the Garmin system in my Kenwood 5120 that is in my other vehicle. It's integrated, touch screen, has nice little British girl telling me when to turn, and is as intuitive as the Garmin in the other car. The extra features, POI, and the like are easy to use.

Larry

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Speaking of PCM 3.0, if anyone wants the v1.4 software update CD for free, I have one I no longer need. Send me a PM.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Thanks for the positive feedback on the newer version, I started to worry. BTW- if you want the stock nav sys do you have to pick the premium sound sys?
I dont think you do. But I would think it might be worth it!

·
Registered
368 Posts
The PCM 3.0 on my 2010 is excellent and is much better than any system i have had in a car before. Add in the ipod and bluetooth and it makes a very competent system. Voice control makes it even better as virtually everything can be done accurately on the move. I am very impressed and I have had top Mercedes, BMW and Jaguar systems in the past.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Speaking of PCM 3.0, if anyone wants the v1.4 software update CD for free, I have one I no longer need. Send me a PM.
I've received quite a few PMs about how you check what PCM version you have, so here's how you do it:

1. Press the INFO button.
2. Press the OPTION button.
3. Select "Set PCM System".
4. Select "Display".
5. Select "System Version".

If you have 1.4, it should say so on the screen. If it displays anything else, you don't have 1.4 installed. When I checked mine before upgrading, all it said was "V".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, i am from Malaysia and I imported a 2009 cayenne with PCM3 from UK. Is there anyway I can upload a Asia map into the PCM Nav. Currently installed with UK map.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts