Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there P9 community.

Just finalizing prep for my first DE with the new GTS. I swapped out the OEM pads with (the recommended) Pagid pads. The OEM pads are interesting in that they have pretty substantial champers and have a shim (with copper grease lube).

My question is, "Is it necessary to attache the OEM shims to the Pagids or will the Pagid pads work without the OEM shims.
I have seen the posts for titanium shims (by P9 sponsor) but wondering if shims are necessary or just recommended for heat dispensing.
The reason I am thinking of my first event going shim-less is that the real heat monster is the rear brakes and there were no OEM shims for the rear, only the front.

So, what has been common practice, to date, with folks?

Regards. D

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
They also protect ur calipers from turning into brownbros... Than the red.. I think suncoast is repainting them for 2800 bucks , hahhaah.. Great insurance..u went this far.. Lemon

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Lemon...
I could have bought those shims with the pads, studs and fluid--- just didn't think of it.. I promise not to cook my calipers on this "first" DE !!
Probably will be coming back at you for shims for the next, maybe more aggressive, DE !!!
Don

·
Caymudgeon
710 Posts
You definitely do not want to move the OEM shims to the Pagid track pads. The fit would probably not be quite right and plus there is no reason to cook the OEM shims on the track. Just leave them attached to your street pads so you can put them back in for nice quiet braking on the street. For the track pads, go without or add a set of titanium shims if you're concerned about the heat. The rear stock pads also have shims but they are bonded to the backing plate. I think most heavy track users would agree that titanium shims are a good idea on the rear of the 981. For the front, opinions are probably a bit more mixed since the front calipers are pretty big.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mr. Brown..

Looks like an order for shims for at least the back will be next.. I'll take it easy on the car's first DE.
Good to hear that the OEM shims should stay on the OEM pads... besides, that copper grease is messy!!
D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts