Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cayman S
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an IPD competition plenum on my 2006 and I’m 90% sure that I want to go back to the 74mm throttle body. I want my midrange back but I also want to be able to get the most out of a tune when it’s all done. Would going back to the stock plenum and throttle body be counterproductive versus a 74mm IPD setup? I don’t want to do headers and I’m getting ready to replace my Fabspeed with a Carnewal if that factors into the tuning equation. Essentially, I’d like a slightly quieter car with no drone and better low and midrange torque for drive ability. Any thoughts or advice?
As a side note, does anyone have a stock plenum and TB that they would sell me? Would anyone who has a 74mm IPD setup be interested in a swap for my competition plenum?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a stock plenum and tb I can sell.

Now, as to your questions....
Is your car tiptronic or manual?

Drone with a manual is negated by ram's. Which you control.

Tip car.... different animal if you drive in "D"

Your tb and plenum upgrade are not causing drone.

Your cat back exhaust components are the first culprit for drone.
Headers do not cause drone if you are using cats (not race catless headers)

Progression for best power in these cars

Headers
Tune

Whatever else beyond that is personal preference and minimal gains will be realized, but gains are gains.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Cayman S
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m in a manual! I’m hoping the Carnewal takes care of my volume and drone issue but I hear what you are saying about being able to control it with RPMs! I’ll try to DM you about the stock plenum setup!

·
Registered
438 Posts
When I bought my car, it had a custom almost straight-pipe cat back exhaust. The drone was terrible, thought my fillings were going to fall out of my head. I avoided 2500-3200 RPM range like the plague.

Replaced that with a Soul Performance exhaust and race headers. Guess what? No more drone except for very slight one at 2800-3000 RPM. Barely noticeable and not bothersome at all.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yup.
I'm even worse.....
Tiptronic car, but I don't drive it in manual mode.

Soul street headers with cats, soul rear section, ipd gt3 tb and plenum, evoms intake, softronic software.

No drone.
Cold start is angry, but my wife doesn't complain.... so that's saying something.
(She loves electric silent cars)

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I went with Soul long tube headers and a Softronic tune. I have an old GT3 78 mm throttle body from Scotts/Softronics Plenum race kit for the 987.1. I told Scott to focus on the mid range torque and forget about anything above 6800 rpm as i want to save my rod bolts. He did an excellent job matching the race plumen kit to the Soul exhaust velocities. With a new software flash that targets the higher volumetric efficiency of the intake and engine by completely retuning the remaining intake resonance valve, Vario Cam Plus, Ignition, and Fuel delivery maps. No more flat spot around 3500-4000 rpm. This makes the car much more drivable by not having to wind it out to get the torque going. I have a Milltek exhaust and that muffler with the long tube catless headers work very well without drone.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
438 Posts
I went with Soul long tube headers and a Softronic tune. I have an old GT3 78 mm throttle body from Scotts/Softronics Plenum race kit for the 987.1. I told Scott to focus on the mid range torque and forget about anything above 6800 rpm as i want to save my rod bolts. He did an excellent job matching the race plumen kit to the Soul exhaust velocities. With a new software flash that targets the higher volumetric efficiency of the intake and engine by completely retuning the remaining intake resonance valve, Vario Cam Plus, Ignition, and Fuel delivery maps. No more flat spot around 3500-4000 rpm. This makes the car much more drivable by not having to wind it out to get the torque going. I have a Milltek exhaust and that muffler with the long tube catless headers work very well without drone.
Oh, but the sound the Soul exhaust makes above 6000 RPM is intoxicating. Sometimes I wish my redline went above 7400.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts