Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my FVD Brombacher (Sound Version) installed today on my '07 2.7L Cayman. There is a noticeable difference over stock. There was a dead spot right at the beginning of the RPM range with the stock exhaust, and that's gone now. There is also a noticeable power increase. Just feels like it pulls harder. The power feels smoother as well. The sound..... The sound is absolutely intoxicating! I know it has to sound better outside the car than it does inside. At the lower RPM's, there is a very deep tone inside the cab. I love that sound. It sounds like there's somethin' bigger than the 2.7L under hood. From about 2700 to 4000 RPM's, it sounds pretty close to the stock exhaust in the cab. When I drive through the neighborhood, it sounds stock for the most part. At about 5000 RPM's, it starts to scream! Man, it sounds good! It will probably even get better as the exhaust breaks in more. My wife used her camera and made some video. I combined the video with one of my stock exhaust to compare the two. My wife watched the video and said it sounds MUCH better in person. A couple service guys at the dealer that did the installation complimented the quality of the product. Anyway, here's the video. The quality isn't very good, but it gets the point across. :)

I also want to say that Stan in the shipping department at FVD was great to work with. FedEx was screwin' around with me and the Mrs. about where the package needed to be picked up. We needed to pick up the package, because it was gonna need a signature at delivery and no one was gonna be home. Stan requested that it be held at the local FedEx Service Center. When the Mrs. called to setup a time to pick it up, they said it was gonna be at the Service Center a couple hours away and it wouldn't leave there. She called Stan, and was reassured that it would come to the local Service Center. I called FedEx later and was also told that it would not come to the local Service Center. I called Stan again, but they were closed already, so I left a message lettin' him know. FedEx also wouldn't let take the hold off so it would be delivered, because the shipper would need to do that. I checked this morning to see where the package was located, and sure enough, it was delivered to the local Service Center. I called Stan back and left a message for him lettin' him know. Later in the day, Stan called me to check on the package and make sure everything went alright. I apologized for hasslin' him with all the phone calls, and assured me it was no problem at all. He said they want to make sure that all their customers have a great experience when shoppin' with them, and they would always go the extra mile for their customers. Definitely great customer service.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm all rev'ed up to pull the trigger but this years taxes hit me hard... did you have any trouble with fitment?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm all rev'ed up to pull the trigger but this years taxes hit me hard... did you have any trouble with fitment?
The dealer installed it for me, and they didn't have any problems. It's not quite centered right, and they'll fix that next week when the CDR-24 is replaced under warranty. I think it's just a matter of loosenin' it up and retightenin' everything to get it in the right spot. I wouldn't call that a fitment issue, though.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More drivin' impressions:

I drive mostly interstate to and from work. The new setup is actually quieter than my stock exhaust with the cruise set anywhere from 70 to 80 mph. At 70 mph, my RPM's are at 2800. At 80 mph, my RPM's are at 3200. I set the cruise, rolled up the windows, and had everything off inside the cab (I rarely use the radio or a/c anyway), and all I heard was silence. I was kinda shocked. There was no noise inside at all.

When the exhaust heats up, the deep tone at the lower RPM's is louder. I think the sound is cool, and it disappears pretty quick. It's not really in a drivin' range of RPM's. I pretty much just hear it when I first take off or slow down to a stop.

Takin' off hard or even gettin' on it hard from a roll makes the exhaust scream. It's a really SWEET sound! It doesn't matter if it's from a stop takin' off, or hittin' hard comin' off a ramp to get on the interstate. That sound is surely gonna turn heads and probably even make others smile. I doubt it's as big as the smile I have, though! lol

The tips are startin' to turn a light gold color. They looked really good when they were all shined up and chrome, and I think they look cool in the gold color too. I'm wonderin' if they'll start to blue, 'cause I think that'll look good as well.

This car was really fun to drive when I first got it. Now it's even more fun. The exhaust has changed the drivin' experience. In my opinion, it sounds like one of these cars should. It's sporty, exotic, and just right. :)

:dance:

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Nice to hear you're enjoying the exhaust and thanks for posting the videos. You can get that shiny chrome color back with a quick application of Borla metal polish. Otherwise, they stay that champagne color (more like piss colored) due to the heat.

They won't turn blue however, I think you need titanium tips for that, like on the GT3-RS. ;)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice to hear you're enjoying the exhaust and thanks for posting the videos. You can get that shiny chrome color back with a quick application of Borla metal polish. Otherwise, they stay that champagne color (more like piss colored) due to the heat.

They won't turn blue however, I think you need titanium tips for that, like on the GT3-RS. ;)
I'm gonna try to get some better video at some point. My wife's camera doesn't take the best quality video.

I didn't know about the Borla polish. Might have to give that a try. I have some Blue Job that I used on some Harley pipes that were turnin' yellow, so I might give that a try first. However, with as fast as they turned yellow, I might not even worry about it. I'd be polishin' them up every day to keep them chrome. lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pull the trigger now!! The sooner you get this exhaust on your car the sooner you will be trying to get that big smile off your face!! It is absolutely amazing. I have had the FVD Sound (Loud) Version on my 2009 Boxster S for about 7 months now and it is still absolutely fantastic. It sounds as good if not better than a GT3 RS, perhaps even a little deeper. Absolutely no drone and a definite power increase (probably even more than the +11 HP they advertise). Great product quality and easy fitment (I had a local independent Porsche shop install it). And Rhonda at FVD is absolutely great to work with - great customer service. You can't go wrong.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Look what just arrived last night!!! Just 3 days from Germany. It has a stamp saying produced 9/14/10 and at my doorstep in Hawaii 9/17. Now that's express shipping! It was packed well but there was a dent at the end of one of the pipes which should be no problem to tap out. Otherwise all polished with great welds and solid. I've been waiting for this baby for awhile. Intallation on Wednesday.:banana::banana::banana: I'll keep you guys posted!

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Those are the mounting posts that attach to the triangular plates that then get attached to the existing stock mounting bracket. Do a search on my name or a thread for speedART installation party for detailed photos I took last year.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Look what just arrived last night!!! Just 3 days from Germany. It has a stamp saying produced 9/14/10 and at my doorstep in Hawaii 9/17. Now that's express shipping! It was packed well but there was a dent at the end of one of the pipes which should be no problem to tap out. Otherwise all polished with great welds and solid. I've been waiting for this baby for awhile. Intallation on Wednesday.:banana::banana::banana: I'll keep you guys posted!
You'll love your new FVD exhaust system!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.