Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
2008 Cayman S and 2010 GT3
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the pleasure of removing my 12yr old stone guards, and it was less than fun... it looks waaay better without...
However with the wider rear fenders you seriously risk dings/chips... I had a bunch of magnet material from my track numbers etc... I made a template and cut out 3m vinyl and then stuck them on magnets and cut them out... now on trips/drives I can run these and remove when I鈥檓 not feeling them... I just didn鈥檛 want permanent decals any longer.... thoughts?? Still not sure how I feel about them... it took me a half hr to make

Attachments

Registered
This is a really good idea! and gives you the chance to change colours/designs quite easily.
Do you have a link to the magnetic material you used?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I got mine off eBay.. here is an example... as for the vinyl, same thing, 3m, Vvivid, Avery in whatever color you want... I Wasn鈥檛 about to try matching Basalt black with vinyl so I did CF... the black chrome is really cool but I didn鈥檛 have enough..... I might even make a template and cover that entire area... all I know is, those clear Porsche guards are never going back on...鈥檌t took me days getting that chit off
Side note: magnet material is semi girthy in thickness, so it would take a real blunt hit with that stuff before the paint would suffer
It was easy to make, it took me all of a half hr and a scissor

Attachments

Registered
Yes this is a good idea! I'll be interested to see if they are able to hang on at freeway speeds. I hope so!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
110... besides I鈥檝e been tracking my cars for decades using magnet numbers and they鈥檝e never fallen off any car.... your good there

Registered
I'm a firm believer in the PPF. Got it applied over the entire front end. Would never be without.....serious piece of mind. Just plan to replace after a number of years. Rock chips and bug splats GONE for good.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
... after removing that oem garbage I said I wouldn鈥檛 put that back on. The magnets are way more durable than clear bra material... I have clear on my GT3, it works fine to tho. clear is also really hard to get off...

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
You鈥檇 have to take them off to clean and wash your car... have you ever tracked a car in the rain? they don鈥檛 really get wet underneath but strongly advise cleaning them as often as u clean the car
This is just an option to the decal, if it鈥檚 not your bag that works too

Registered
2015 Cayman
I know this is a 987 forum, but my 981 Cayman didn鈥檛 come with any stone guards on the rear fenders, so I鈥檓 wondering why the 987 did. My friend has a white 987 Cayman and his have turned yellow. I鈥檇 remove them if they were on my car - but, why are they even there? My car is five years old and doesn鈥檛 show any chips on the rear fenders.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Because the rear fenders are so much wider than the front fenders, the front tires kick up rocks and sand etc and can mark up that area... I hate the appearance but they do serve a purpose... this is just an option, that鈥檚 all... btw, have fun removing them stupid things 馃う鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
2015 Cayman
Hmm... The rear fenders on my friend鈥檚 987 aren鈥檛 any wider than the ones on my 981 (in comparison to the fronts). Could it be that Porsche realized this and that鈥檚 why they weren鈥檛 included on the 981 generation. Or the 718 version, either.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Hard to say... 987 rear fenders are wider than the fronts...the stickier the tyres, the more flick you get...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts