Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading the Cayman Owner's Manual and came across an interesting note ("Stopping Engine", pg. 76):

"Do not stop engine immediately after hard or extended driving. Keep engine running at increased idle for about two minutes to prevent excessive heat build-up before turning off engine."

This is the first time I've heard something along these lines. I thought the engine compartment fan continues to run (if necessary) after the engine has stopped. Or is this referring to some other type of heat build-up?

With my previous non-Porsche cars, I've driven several hundred kilometres and simply turned off the engine as soon as I've arrived at my destination. Have I been unknowingly abusing my engines by doing this, or is this somehow specific to Porsches?

Also, I wonder what would be considered to be "extended driving". 50km? 100km? 1000km?

And what's "increased idle"? 1500rpm? 2500rpm? 7200rpm?? ;) So I'm supposed to sit for 2 minutes with my foot on the throttle in neutral after any long or spirited drive? :crazy: Am I completing misunderstanding this?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
That's so the oil and water keep flowing.
Take some of the heat from the heads and pistons and cylinders and dissipate it.
And what's "increased idle"? 1500rpm? 2500rpm? 7200rpm?? ;)
So I'm supposed to sit for 2 minutes with my foot on the throttle in neutral after any long or spirited drive?
I would say 1500 to 2000. Sounds like good advice to me.

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
So I'm supposed to sit for 2 minutes with my foot on the throttle in neutral after any long or spirited drive?
I think there is a difference between "long" or "extended" and "spirited".

Driving at a steady speed on the highway is not going to heat the car up like thrashing around from 1st to 3rd, then shutting off the engine and walking away.

Seems like a common sense thing to do. Drive the last mile home in a mellow fashion. A cool down lap if you are REALLY driving hard. Not just coming home off the freeway.

Ever heard of "putting a horse away wet" ? ;)

I usually drive around the "paddock" at the track for a minute or two after getting off. I almost never smoke on start up like I see other guys car's smoke when they roll in and shut down red hot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses! I've always been very aware and careful about giving the engine plenty of time to warm up before pushing it - now I'll be a lot more conscious about cooling it out a little before walking away.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
I think there is a difference between "long" or "extended" and "spirited".

Driving at a steady speed on the highway is not going to heat the car up like thrashing around from 1st to 3rd, then shutting off the engine and walking away.

Seems like a common sense thing to do. Drive the last mile home in a mellow fashion. A cool down lap if you are REALLY driving hard. Not just coming home off the freeway.

Ever heard of "putting a horse away wet" ? ;)

I usually drive around the "paddock" at the track for a minute or two after getting off. I almost never smoke on start up like I see other guys car's smoke when they roll in and shut down red hot.
And it's also a good idea to put blocks under the tires instead of using the E-brake when the rotors are hot after a track run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.