Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend got a loaner 2009 BMW 3 series and it had a feature of storing music from cd/ipod onto the car's hard disk.

Now, we know the PCM 3.0 has a 30 or 40gb HD inside, can it be utilized?

Any idea?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I've thought about this before. Its not allowed by default, but guess a similar and more convenient option would be to connect your iPod which will at least give you twice the storage!

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
This would be a nice feature, but I don't think it's possible. There's absolutely no mention of this in the PCM 3.0 manual. I'm not even sure where the hard drive is located in the car.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and say "snowballs chance in hell". It's kind of cool on the BMW, but after a while, it's novel at best. I use the iphone 90% of the time when I drive either car.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and say "snowballs chance in hell". It's kind of cool on the BMW, but after a while, it's novel at best. I use the iphone 90% of the time when I drive either car.

Actually my wife uses this feature on her Jeep with the MyGig system and uses it to dump her CD's to the hard drive so she doesn't have to carry CD's with her anymore. Typically when she is in the Jeep she uses her phone as a phone not an ipod and if the Jeep's HD can do it seemlessly then heck why not.

As for the original question I'm sure the software could be hacked in some way to allow such a thing to happen (There are many hacks for the MyGig system to add other features/function) but I don't know anyone who is hacking PCM 3.0 at the moment. You might check with Mods4Cars and ask them if they've considered doing it, they have some smart engineers on staff!

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
You mention the iPod, so if you have that connection then you also have the USB port. Pick up a cheap 16 or 32 gb USB flash drive and copy the music to that. I bought a very tiny one and leave it connected full-time (except when I bring it inside to load new music). PCM will let you navigate by folder (go to "track list"). Works great, acts the same as if you had the music on the hard drive.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I was wondering about this too. I dump a few songs on my loaner BMWs HD so i can listen to them while I have the car so I wont forget my USB or my CDs when I return it... I have a loaner Cayenne today and was wondering if I can do the same thing... I guess I cant. guess normal radio will have to do.

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
Agree. I'm constantly moving music in and out of playlists while adding new tunes, so writing new content all the time would get tedious. The ideal situation will be with an iPod, IOS 5 and iTunes 10.5 set up for wireless sync over wifi - and sync to your computer whenever the car comes into your garage...just leave the iPod in the car.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
I would love to see Porsche come out with a Bluetooth A2DP interface for their PCM system. They already offer Bluetooth handsfree operation, it shouldn't be hard to upgrade that so you could also stream high-quality audio to the car wirelessly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts